The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

17 minutes ago, medals said:

Honestly am I missing something? 

The ability to read dates.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The ability to read dates.

Ok was it 4 seasons at Blackpool averaging 3.5 goals per season?

Sounds like a St. JOHNSTONE striker

Edited by medals

1 minute ago, medals said:

Jesus mate.

The article in the tweet was from 2021 at a point where he'd scored 40 goals in 60 games for Linfield.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Jesus mate.

The article in the tweet was from 2021 at a point where he'd scored 40 goals in 60 games for Linfield.

Mate I'm talking about his time at Blackpool.

McMenamin was a big scorer in Ireland, but managed only 1 for us

5 minutes ago, medals said:

Brilliant.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Jesus mate.

:lol:

It seems like the very mild joke about St Mirren moving on from signing former Motherwell players to signing players Motherwell tried to sign was just a bit too nuanced.

See also, Kofi Balmer: https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/northern-irelands-kofi-balmer-linked-with-loan-move-to-scottish-side/a1760208688.html

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, medals said:

Mate I'm talking about his time at Blackpool.

McMenamin was a big scorer in Ireland, but managed only 1 for us

You took issue with the 'free scoring' description in the tweet asking if you were missing something.

You missed that it was a tweet from 2021.

Either way, the guy has scored 15 in 54 starts for Blackpool, half of those at championship level half at league 1 and appears to have suffered an injury that has led to restricted minutes since. Much like Ayunga this season.

I'm not sure what sort of market you think we should be operating in but we arent going to be getting a guy who has a proven record of scoring 25 a season... I'd say in the market we operate in, every player comes with an 'ah, but', attached.

He has a scoring record better than Ayunga does at that level and pretty comparable to van Veen and Mandron at same level. He's exactly the level player we should, and usually do target.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

:lol:

It seems like the very mild joke about St Mirren moving on from signing former Motherwell players to signing players Motherwell tried to sign was just a bit too nuanced.

See also, Kofi Balmer: https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/northern-irelands-kofi-balmer-linked-with-loan-move-to-scottish-side/a1760208688.html

It's ALMOST as if we have similar budgets and operate in the same markets. :lol:

Posted (edited)
I didn't read the daily Rangers, just looked at his time with Blackpool
3 seasons as I 1st said

Football League One

Year   2023-24
Matches
Games played  31
Goals                 5
Assists               1

Football League Trophy

Football League Trophy
Year
Year
Matches
Games played
Goals
Goals
Assists
Assists
Yellow
Red

2023-24
2023-24
Championship

Championship
Year
Year
Matches
Games played
Goals
Goals
Assists
Assists
Yellow
Red

2022-23
2022-23

2021-22
2021-22
EFL Cup

EFL Cup
Year
Year
Matches
Games played
Goals
Goals
Assists
Assists
Yellow
Red

2022-23
2022-23

2021-22
2021-22
Edited by medals

2 minutes ago, medals said:
minutes didn't read the daily Rangers, just looked at his time with Blackpool
3 seasons as I 1st said

Football League One

Year
Year
Matches
Games played
Goals
Goals
Assists
Assists
Yellow
Red

2023-24
2023-24
Football League Trophy

Football League Trophy
Year
Year
Matches
Games played
Goals
Goals
Assists
Assists
Yellow
Red

2023-24
2023-24
Championship

Championship
Year
Year
Matches
Games played
Goals
Goals
Assists
Assists
Yellow
Red

2022-23
2022-23

2021-22
2021-22
EFL Cup

EFL Cup
Year
Year
Matches
Games played
Goals
Goals
Assists
Assists
Yellow
Red

2022-23
2022-23

2021-22
2021-22

...what?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, medals said:
I didn't read the daily Rangers, just looked at his time with Blackpool
3 seasons as I 1st said

You literally quoted the tweet and took issue with the use of 'free-scoring'...so you obviously did read it. 

I mean it's easier at this point to just back down and admit you misunderstood as you overlooked the date.

Edited by djchapsticks

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You literally quoted the tweet and said 'free-scoring'...so you obviously did read it. 

I mean it's easier at this point to just back down and admit you misunderstood as you overlooked the date.

I read the part posted on this thread which describes him as free-scoring - no more than that.

I then googled him and that description playing for Blackpool didn't add up for me.

I love you guys bringing up potential players, I was simply just saying at 1st glance his recent stats are not really great.

Played 95

Goals  17 in 3 seasons.

Yeah he may well have done far better previously, he may have had injuries, and SR may well get more out of him IF we sign him. However the article was touting him elsewhere.

I was only giving my opinion.

My apologies for causing such negative reactions and poor pasteing - which I was trying to fix.

Edited by medals

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, medals said:

I read the part posted on this thread which describes him as free-scoring - no more than that.

Just for clarity, and maybe it's not displaying correctly for you, but this is the only part of the thread that refers to him as free scoring.

@capt_oats posted it as a joke, referring to his prior links to Motherwell. Nobody was actually claiming he is free scoring. Capt_oats also has no military background that I'm aware of.

I hope this helps.

Screenshot_20240513-171903.png

Edited by Coventry Saint

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, medals said:

I then googled him and that description playing for Blackpool didn't add up for me.

I love you guys bringing up potential players, I was simply just saying at 1st glance his recent stats are not really great.

Played 95

Goals  17 in 3 seasons.

Yeah he may well have done far better previously, he may have had injuries, and SR may well get more out of him IF we sign him. However the article was touting him elsewhere.

I was only giving my opinion.

My apologies for causing such negative reactions and poor pasteing - which I was trying to fix.

Which is fair enough. Theres nothing linking us with him but he is 100% in the 'makes sense' category in terms of age, position, nationality, level and the fact that our management team (at least one, maybe both given Robinson'spreviousrole with NI) have worked with him before.

I'd be pretty surprised if he's not on the long list of targets and I'd rather roll the dice and see him arrive than a 33 year old Simon Murray or Bruce Anderson.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Just for clarity, and maybe it's not displaying correctly for you, but this is the only part of the thread that refers to him as free scoring.

That is the part I referred to above... cheers

Wasn't at the SMISA AGM but, reading the minutes, there was a lot of discussion about what to do with SMISA cash reserves (now at £420,000 and rising). An enviable position to be in....

There seems to be a bit of a push from the SMFC board to use some of it to help generate more money for the club rather than just having it sit there. Makes sense to be honest. Previously, £80,000 was loaned for hospitality rooms. No suggestions though as to what it could be used for.

I've always liked the idea of safe standing; the club and the W7 guys have done a great job in getting more young people through the gate. Maybe that would be the next step. Will require a bit of creative thinking what to do with the money anyway.

In other news, was confirmed that Hemming has been offered a contract. He's under contract with Middlesbrough so we must have agreed a fee.

2 hours ago, medals said:

14 goals in the last 3 years at Blackpool over 78 appearances as a no. 9.

Honestly am I missing something? 

I'd hardly call that free-scoring

The article is 3 years old 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

@capt_oats posted it as a joke, referring to his prior links to Motherwell. Nobody was actually claiming he is free scoring. Capt_oats also has no military background that I'm aware of.

I hope this helps.

Can confirm I have no military background.