The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Same again yesterday with Zach. 

Some boy eh? 😂 

I thought Hemming was a downgrade on Carson but I also thought he would be a decent enough replacement. 

He's been terrific though. The goal against Aberdeen is the only mistake I can remember him making. His distribution is definitely better than Carson's and he's more agile. He's still young for a keeper too. Hladky and Alnwick gave both been regulars in the English Championship so far this season, if Hemming keeps up this form then I would expect that Middlesborough will be considering bringing him back for next year. 

It is absolutely no coincidence that we have had a great run of keepers under Langfield. 

I think it was Alnwick that said he’s the best coach he’s had, and he’s played at a decent level. As much of the credit has to go to Langfield as well as the Keepers for doing the business on the park. 

On the subject of VAR............

I think yesterday proved that it's not fit for purpose in its current state.

Whether that's down to our watered down technology or feckless officials in the VAR headquarters, I'm not sure. Probably a combination of both.

On yesterday's game alone, you look at the Mandron decision and think firstly why wasn't Nick Walsh asked to take a look at his decision and secondly if that had transpired, a blind man could see that there was no foul in there. I await a fulsome apology from Nick Walsh for his incompetence.........................

Greive's goal being disallowed was another shocker. I don't care how many dotted lines they produce. There's no way from the angle they showed that it could be proven beyond doubt that he was offside. Clear and obvious error? My fucking arse.

You'd think that since the offside wasn't awarded in the first place that this, combined with the lack of conclusive evidence, would skew the decision in Greive's direction.

After all, the the same criteria seemed to be applied to Greive's "goal" v Dundee which also wasn't awarded. This led to the decision being upheld as there wasn't conclusive evidence, other than most people's eyesight, that the ball was over the line.

In both cases lack of sufficient technology led to guessing, so why the different outcomes? Probably because a shower of balloons can draw some dotted lines on a picture that in reality proves nothing.

Anyway, first Sunday morning rant over.:lol:

P.S. Apparently the officiating and VAR at the Dundee v Killie game was something to behold regarding it's levels of incompetence.

Edited by FTOF

8 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I know the league's our bread and butter, but I think the next game is absolutely massive. The chance of a Hampden semi-final, with Celtic having been knocked out, and with us on form, it's got to be said that we have a real chance of winning a major trophy. 

Silverware has to be what any club ultimately aspires to achieve, and this is a cracking opportunity. 

I wondered if the triple substitution yesterday was pre-planned with Wednesday in mind.

Robinson also said post-match that there would be some changes for Hibs. Possible that the team that finished against Hearts will start against Hibs?

I think Richard Taylor has gone off the boil a wee bit.

He had a couple of wild charges out from defence yesterday to make a tackle, which he missed and put us under pressure. He also let Rowles make an easy header for the one Kiltie cleared off the line.

I know Dunne has his moments too, but maybe he's worth a start on Wednesday. Especially against the pace that Hibs have up front.

5 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I wondered if the triple substitution yesterday was pre-planned with Wednesday in mind.

Robinson also said post-match that there would be some changes for Hibs. Possible that the team that finished against Hearts will start against Hibs?

Can't see Baccus not starting. 

Also, the Hibs defence are a bit iffy at times. Olusanya could cause havoc in there.

I thought at the game yesterday both the Mandron goal and the Greive goal should have been given from my seat in the west stand. 
I then said let’s wait and see the highlights, Jesus suffering f**k we were completely done over by VAR for both goals. 

Honest mistakes are one thing but the decision not to award the Mandron goal renders Nick Walsh not fit for purpose. 

He fucked up in monumental style.

11 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I thought at the game yesterday both the Mandron goal and the Greive goal should have been given from my seat in the west stand. 
I then said let’s wait and see the highlights, Jesus suffering f**k we were completely done over by VAR for both goals. 

Honest mistakes are one thing but the decision not to award the Mandron goal renders Nick Walsh not fit for purpose. 

If you were a paranoid person you would swear the SFA don't want us winning

1 hour ago, geo87 said:

It is absolutely no coincidence that we have had a great run of keepers under Langfield. 

I think it was Alnwick that said he’s the best coach he’s had, and he’s played at a decent level. As much of the credit has to go to Langfield as well as the Keepers for doing the business on the park. 

It is also pleasing that Jamie Langfield is a Saints fan.

He could have followed the money elsewhere by going with previous managers when they left for new clubs but has stayed in the area for his family and his love for the Buddies. 

COYS! 

19 minutes ago, AW saint said:

If you were a paranoid person you would swear the SFA don't want us winning

Oh FFS. No.

That will only get other fans posting the club shop image. 😜 

We have always had a beef with the SFA going back decades. 

Probably started under Fergie when he was bullying referees back in the 70s. 

33 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Agreed. But the VAR team should have brought him to the monitor to rectify the mistake. That surely is the failing of that mob?

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Walsh gave the foul before the ball crossed the goal line therefore VAR couldn't intervene.

Sorry. I thought he had delayed until the ball hit the back of the net. There was certainly a long delay. I’ll need to watch the highlights again. Another good reason to watch the Hemming save which was fcuking outstanding!

Cheers. 

Gogic, Strain, Tanser, Hemming…. Currently tied for the lead in the race for our PoTY, IMHO. The four of them might be overtaken by the lad Cunto Var that really affects games when he’s called upon though. Gets involved in all sorts, puts himself about, gets fans talking. Yeah, Gogic & Co are doing well enough, but this Cunto Var, he’s awesome.

Tell you what, disallowed or not that is an absolutely terrific finish from Mandron at his goal. Motherwell might not have got a tune out him but he looks like a very handy player. He looked pretty immobile in the league cup games (still bagged a couple of goals) but now he looks well up yo speed.