The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

What is our deal with hibs got to do with Celtic offering a player as part of the deal albeit it on loan.  whatever money they get we'll get our cut of the profit that being a 1/3

You tell me bud, this is what you wrote, " Also saying they'll use him as part of the McGinn deal.."

Hibs owe us money if McGinn moves, there is no "part of the McGinn deal" to be had in the whole thing.

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:

I believe Kpekawa is here as a Centre Half. After the game he said he was lucky if he was 70% fit and very rusty as he hadn't played for months and we should expect to see a big improvement.

Ok, that explains it. He certainly has the physique and the speed for it - he was decent on the ball as well, all things considered. Struck me as being in the Kyle Walker mould of 'might make mistakes, but has the ability to recover'. 

I guess we probably need cover at FB, then - a Stelios-type who could play both sides - and at least one more CH.

5 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I think he looked excellent, even within 9 minutes you could tell he was a decent find.

He was very composed on the ball and despite his lack of game time he looked very confident. Once he’s gained full fitness then I would say he will be a first pick centre back choice. 

I guess it will take more than 9 mins for him to gain full fitness:P 

Edited by glenburn bud

14 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

You tell me bud, this is what you wrote, " Also saying they'll use him as part of the McGinn deal.."

Hibs owe us money if McGinn moves, there is no "part of the McGinn deal" to be had in the whole thing.

Celtic will offer the winger as part of the deal to get McGinn to parkhead.  i think your just nitpicking i'm assuming they don't want to up the bid  from 2M our whatever they offered.  my comment was more aimed at at the boy will probably go to hibs rather than us so stop being a bellend

1 minute ago, paisleysaints said:

Celtic will offer the winger as part of the deal to get McGinn to parkhead.

How will that work? Hibs would owe us money, not Celtic. They can offer us Johnston but that's got nothing to do with the deal between us and McGinn/Hibs.

I'm not nitpicking, I'm just confused as to how the two possible deals could influence each other.

3 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

How will that work? Hibs would owe us money, not Celtic. They can offer us Johnston but that's got nothing to do with the deal between us and McGinn/Hibs.

I'm not nitpicking, I'm just confused as to how the two possible deals could influence each other.

Where at any point have I said anything about the deal between us and Hibs??  It's reported on several media pages that Celtic are set to offer Mikey Johnston on loan as part of the push to get McGinn to Parkhead.  Nothing about St mirren and hibs.  As i said it more on our interest in the Celtic winger.

6 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

It would work like this:

Celtic will offer Hibs cash plus Johnston on loan (and possibly another player permanently) for McGinn.

The end.

:rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Ok, that explains it. He certainly has the physique and the speed for it - he was decent on the ball as well, all things considered. Struck me as being in the Kyle Walker mould of 'might make mistakes, but has the ability to recover'. 

I guess we probably need cover at FB, then - a Stelios-type who could play both sides - and at least one more CH.

Lee Hodson is primarily a right-back but has played regularly several times as a left back. Reckon he is the full back cover that Stubbs is after.

2 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Where at any point have I said anything about the deal between us and Hibs??  It's reported on several media pages that Celtic are set to offer Mikey Johnston on loan as part of the push to get McGinn to Parkhead.  Nothing about St mirren and hibs.  As i said it more on our interest in the Celtic winger.

2 minutes ago, Soctty said:

It would work like this:

Celtic will offer Hibs cash plus Johnston on loan (and possibly another player permanently) for McGinn.

The end.

:rolleyes:

Then I fully apologise guys, I'd not seen the papers reporting that Johnston was a target for Hibs, only the comments that he was a target for us. In that context I'm sure you can see why I was unsure how Celtic could affect what we get from Hibs.

I'd said before that Allan was most likely the player added to the McGinn/Hibs deal which would reduce the value we get. So in many ways you are only saying something I had said earlier.

So again, apologies, but you can see where I was coming from.

9 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Then I fully apologise guys, I'd not seen the papers reporting that Johnston was a target for Hibs, only the comments that he was a target for us. In that context I'm sure you can see why I was unsure how Celtic could affect what we get from Hibs.

I'd said before that Allan was most likely the player added to the McGinn/Hibs deal which would reduce the value we get. So in many ways you are only saying something I had said earlier.

So again, apologies, but you can see where I was coming from.

In many ways this is quite something...

That something being monumental bollocks. ;)

Just now, Bohemian said:

You'd swear the survival of your club was at stake with the money you will receive from us:lol:

"Survival" is a little strong, but if it's anywhere above the £600k mark it will have a huge impact on where we end up and possibly with us avoiding the relegation dogfight altogether.

5 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

You'd swear the survival of your club was at stake with the money you will receive from us:lol:

Well, it's likely to be the difference between being one of three at the very bottom, or potentially finishing 7th-9th (with my realistic head on). 

It's a sum of money that outweighs anything we've received any time recently, yet it would be arriving at a time when we don't actually need it (ie for club survival). So it'd be the very definition of a windfall.

6 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

We’ve produced some of the best young players in the game up here but sold them for peanuts, it’s about time we got a decent return on at least one.

10 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Some fans seem to forget that we got money from McAllister, Mallan, Morgan and Ross that is still sitting in the bank and that our owner has said player income would primarily be invested to create more income streams. The chances of us spending all the McGinn money on players is pretty well zero IMHO.

13 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Our chances of survival in the premiership would be greatly improved by the money we will receive, as it would allow us to make up some the financial shortfall we have compared to our competition.

We would survive as a club without it though, as we're pretty well run in terms of finance.