Best footballing 11

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Perhaps my favourite all time Falkirk player. Didn't have him in my silky skills team but he always gave 100% and was one of the best penalty takers I've ever seen.

...and free kicks from Gunner were some of the best. I remember a hush of anticipation settling over the Hope Street End whenever he placed the ball down.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Chris Waddle in effective and past it come on. Did you see him against Clydebank at home? He also went on to play in the top flight in England with Sunderland after leaving us for Bradford. He certainly wasnt past it.

Chris Waddle was slow and overweight after enjoying the highlife in Monaco (I think it was Monaco). Stainrod carried a few pounds, but he was absolutely class, head and shoulders above Waddle who was on a holiday. It was Simon Stainrod who ripped Clydebank players apart by the way. The only thing I remember Waddle for is that horrendous chessboard kit that Fulston invented.

...and free kicks from Gunner were some of the best. I remember a hush of anticipation settling over the Hope Street End whenever he placed the ball down.

Pretty sure he scored a hatrick in a 4-3 win at Somerset park if my memory serves me right. Great player who's first thought when he got the ball was to run as fast as he could towards the goals. Could do with him now in our midfield

4 hours ago, bairney said:

Chris Waddle was slow and overweight after enjoying the highlife in Monaco (I think it was Monaco). Stainrod carried a few pounds, but he was absolutely class, head and shoulders above Waddle who was on a holiday. It was Simon Stainrod who ripped Clydebank players apart by the way. The only thing I remember Waddle for is that horrendous chessboard kit that Fulston invented.

Where r u getting this pish from. He did play for Marseille earlier in his career but we got him from shef wed. He ripped the piss and scored in 2 0 win against clydebank. He certainly wasnt on holiday but played with us to keep his fitness up. He then had a very successful spell at Bradford before helping Sunderland stay in the top flight.

Unfortunately the falkirk team he had to play in under bannon was one of the poorest I've seen.

17 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Where r u getting this pish from. He did play for Marseille earlier in his career but we got him from shef wed. He ripped the piss and scored in 2 0 win against clydebank. He certainly wasnt on holiday but played with us to keep his fitness up. He then had a very successful spell at Bradford before helping Sunderland stay in the top flight.

Unfortunately the falkirk team he had to play in under bannon was one of the poorest I've seen.

That's right. He left Marseille about 4 years or so before we signed him and joined us after a good spell at Wednesday.

I remember the goal on his debut vs Clydebank and it was a good goal. He was a bit slow for us but his mind was so fast it didn't matter. A class act.

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

That's right. He left Marseille about 4 years or so before we signed him and joined us after a good spell at Wednesday.

I remember the goal on his debut vs Clydebank and it was a good goal. He was a bit slow for us but his mind was so fast it didn't matter. A class act.

I loved the fact that the picture in the middle of his biography was him celebrating scoring that goal against clydebank by sliding towards the choir. This was a guy who had played in euro cup finals and world cup semis and yet he chose that pic. Superb.

Richie Barnard
Eric Paton Stuart Lovell Brian Reid Bob Harris
Derek Young Stevie Tosh John O'Neill 
Stephen Dobbie Derek Lyle Tommy Bryce
A very suave XI of certified #ballers

I liked a Richie Barnard, but I think I'd go with our other keeper of that time, Colin Scott.
Paton or Mitchell at right back, I think I'd just go with Mitchell.
Left Back is easily Bob Harris.
Reid and Lovell in the middle of defence are an easy choice.
On technical ability it's Dan Carmichael right and Willie Gibson left for me. Burns on the right was more effective, but doesn't have the same technical ability (Carmichael plucking the ball out of the air and stopping it dead still astounds me).
Tosh has one of the centre midfield spots sewn up.
The other I think I would either go with McKenna or MacFarlane, I think I'd go with McKenna.
Then Dobbie and Lyle up top, easily.

This is from 2001ish on.

Chris Waddle really just had a cameo for Falkirk. I think a Sheffield based fan or director paid his wages for the games he played. You could still see his class but he was a bit overweight. The signing though was still very exciting, I found out by doing my usual of checking Teletext page 370 for local football news, in the hope there may be something about Falkirk, after coming in from school and seeing the headline 'Waddle signs for Falkirk' I was stunned and delighted, he was still a massive name at that time. Turned out it was another grossly unfit player in John Clark that started the process that turned that season into something memorable.

Without going for the full eleven Derek Youngs, I'd go for this

GK - Zander Clark - Dominant in the air, unbeatable at one on ones and surprisingly agile for a big lump of a man. Jamie MacDonald flatters to deceive far too much imo.

RB - Eric Paton 

CB - Mark Durnan 

CB - Brian Reid

LB - Kevin Holt - Controversial call over Harris but Holt is probably the only Queens player to make the most out his talent thus far. A physical specimen who could strike a mean ball and charged forward with reckless abandon

DM - Neil Mcfarlane

CM - Rocco Quinn - I don't recall him giving the ball away, very classy player.

CM - Derek Young

AM - Iain McShane - A player that unlike the vast majority of mediocre Scottish centre mids (Kyle Hutton, Mark Millar) wasn't afraid to take risks and went for difficult passes instead of playing it sideways.

ST - Derek Lyle

ST - Stephen Dobbie

Based on players I've seen and a 442 and technical ability.

Marshall

Nicol       Aafjes   Weir          McQueen

Crunchie    Taylor  Latapy     McWilliams

Cadette  Stainrod

Subs-Rae, Rutherford, Stokes,Mojo,Parks.

I saw Kenny Dalglish play for Falkirk in Andy Nicol's testimonial but I don't think he counts.

16 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I loved the fact that the picture in the middle of his biography was him celebrating scoring that goal against clydebank by sliding towards the choir. This was a guy who had played in euro cup finals and world cup semis and yet he chose that pic. Superb.

Nope. Never as good as Stainrod.

15 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

Based on players I've seen and a 442 and technical ability.

Marshall

Nicol       Aafjes   Weir          McQueen

Crunchie    Taylor  Latapy     McWilliams

Cadette  Stainrod

Subs-Rae, Rutherford, Stokes,Mojo,Parks.

I saw Kenny Dalglish play for Falkirk in Andy Nicol's testimonial but I don't think he counts.

Andy Nicol was fkn awesome for us. Consistent. What a great player!

1 hour ago, bairney said:

Nope. Never as good as Stainrod.

I never ever said he was as good as Stainrod . You mentioned he was fat and finished when we got him from Monaco and basically did nothing. I argued correctly that wasnt true. The year we won the league with Stainrod was and perhaps always will be the most enjoyable season I've had watching the bairns.

Andy Nicol must've been one of the last part time players to play for us I would've thought.

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 14:29, Shadwell Dog said:

Perhaps my favourite all time Falkirk player. Didn't have him in my silky skills team but he always gave 100% and was one of the best penalty takers I've ever seen.

Have to Repeat - Gunner was fkn Awesome! What a signing by Jeffries!

Archived