Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Has neymar become a better player over night because he cost £200 million?Scott Sinclair cost man city £7 million celtic only paid £3.5 million does this mean we have half the player man city had? Craig Gordon cost £9 million to Sunderland we got him for nothing is he still a £9 million pound goalkeeper?
It takes more than just money to make a team play like PSG did last night 

The mere fact that Scott Sinclair is playing in Scotland should answer your own question. If you honestly believe this "it's 11 against 11" crap, then you are seriously deluded and no amount of discussion on an internet forum will help you.........

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The mere fact that Scott Sinclair is playing in Scotland should answer your own question. If you honestly believe this "it's 11 against 11" crap, then you are seriously deluded and no amount of discussion on an internet forum will help you.........

So you are criticising Scottish football like every country across Europe it has it's level,your team is doing well at the level they are at i'm sure you want ayr united to play at a higher level next season this is the same thing as the Celtic fans want.

5 minutes ago, Marsh said:

Can we just get over the faux irony of the financial disparity between CL teams and Celtic and Celtic and the SPFL teams, its been done to death.  

When you lot stop using it as an excuse for failure in Europe, maybe aye.

40 minutes ago, bobbycoxblue said:

Oh the world famous No6 and No25 are "on a par with xavi and iniesta if not better".

I think both of them play for us... I'm sure we have a 6 and a 25.

Your heids gone ... PSG won't win it, they aren't as good as Barca, Real, Chelsea and maybe others..

They walk their poor quality league by using their financial advantage .... ring any bells ??

Okay, they went out to Barcelona 6-5 on aggregate last season but they did manage to beat them 4-0 in one of the legs. They knocked Chelsea out of the CL the season before that and are 6 places above them in the UEFA rankings. I'd put them on a par with Bayern, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico - the only teams I can realistically see winning the CL this season and I don't see any reason to say they are worse than Chelsea. 

Would say that Verratti and Rabiot were class last night, but they'll need to do a fair bit more to be mentioned alongside Xavi and Iniesta. Think Rabiot is 22 and Verratti is about 24 so there's still plenty of time but I'm not convinced they're world class because I've seen them put in one good performance against an inferior side. 

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Are you saying that Motherwell can't use financial disparity as an excuse for failing to win the Scottish Premiership?

We can, because it's outside of our control.

7 minutes ago, nsr said:

When you lot stop using it as an excuse for failure in Europe, maybe aye.

I don't disagree.  It's not a level playing field on either platform but it's not going away, so everyone just has to deal with it, hence my comment.

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

So you are criticising Scottish football like every country across Europe it has it's level,your team is doing well at the level they are at i'm sure you want ayr united to play at a higher level next season this is the same thing as the Celtic fans want.

NO, Quite the opposite in fact. I think that money has completely ruined the game and those at the top have become richer and richer whilst those at the bottom poorer and poorer, actually, it pretty much mirrors wider society in general.

As for Celtic, I just don't think anyone should be shocked when they fail to compete with Clubs who have access to wealth and therefore players with ability way beyond their own means. As I said, it isn't much different from the Scottish League for those of us that support the small provincial clubs.

None of us like it, however I do think we need to accept it as it stands as opposed to deluding ourselves that we SHOULD be competing on a level playing field with the funds that we currently have available to us which is simply nowhere near enough.

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

NO, Quite the opposite in fact. I think that money has completely ruined the game and those at the top have become richer and richer whilst those at the bottom poorer and poorer, actually, it pretty much mirrors wider society in general.

As for Celtic, I just don't think anyone should be shocked when they fail to compete with Clubs who have access to wealth and therefore players with ability way beyond their own means. As I said, it isn't much different from the Scottish League for those of us that support the small provincial clubs.

None of us like it, however I do think we need to accept it as it stands as opposed to deluding ourselves that we SHOULD be competing on a level playing field with the funds that we currently have available to us which is simply nowhere near enough.

The fact that Celtic have had good results in the recent past against teams that are financially superior doesn't make me seriously deluded,the imbalance or uneven playing field has always been there for over 100 years this isn't just appeared when money came into the game,the same teams have won these competitions in Europe for decades i'm sure there is only 9 countries that have won the European cup/champions league in it's history. 

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The fact that Celtic have had good results in the recent past against teams that are financially superior doesn't make me seriously deluded,the imbalance or uneven playing field has always been there for over 100 years this isn't just appeared when money came into the game,the same teams have won these competitions in Europe for decades i'm sure there is only 9 countries that have won the European cup/champions league in it's history. 

To some extent I'd agree with you, however the bookies odds this week in the Champions league fixtures more or less sums it all up for me.

Anderlecht were 33/1 with Betfair to beat Bayern, Celtic at home were 13/1 to beat PSG & Quarabag were 60/1 to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. 

Do you think Celtic have ever been 13/1 at home against anyone ?

Do you think Anderlecht would have been 33/1 to beat Bayern at any other period in the history of the game ?

The really sad thing is that the bookies odds were bang on the money and that for me is the greatest shame as I'm afraid football as we used to know it is sadly no more............

Okay, they went out to Barcelona 6-5 on aggregate last season but they did manage to beat them 4-0 in one of the legs. They knocked Chelsea out of the CL the season before that and are 6 places above them in the UEFA rankings. I'd put them on a par with Bayern, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico - the only teams I can realistically see winning the CL this season and I don't see any reason to say they are worse than Chelsea. 
Would say that Verratti and Rabiot were class last night, but they'll need to do a fair bit more to be mentioned alongside Xavi and Iniesta. Think Rabiot is 22 and Verratti is about 24 so there's still plenty of time but I'm not convinced they're world class because I've seen them put in one good performance against an inferior side. 

And they also managed to lose 6... yes.....6-1

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

To some extent I'd agree with you, however the bookies odds this week in the Champions league fixtures more or less sums it all up for me.

Anderlecht were 33/1 with Betfair to beat Bayern, Celtic at home were 13/1 to beat PSG & Quarabag were 60/1 to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. 

Do you think Celtic have ever been 13/1 at home against anyone ?

Do you think Anderlecht would have been 33/1 to beat Bayern at any other period in the history of the game ?

The really sad thing is that the bookies odds were bang on the money and that for me is the greatest shame as I'm afraid football as we used to know it is sadly no more............

I had £100 on Celtic to win the game last night that's what i get for believing in my team in a one off game,for me if PSG win the champions league you can point the finger and say well they had the most money to do it for me it's a cop out they just had the best team.

8 minutes ago, bobbycoxblue said:

And they also managed to lose 6... yes.....6-1

Well obviously if they won 4-0 and went out 6-5 on aggregate. I think they'll be running the elite of Barcelona, Real, Juventus and Bayern close again this year, given it took until the last minute of extra time for Barcelona to go ahead in the tie. 

PSG are in the elite of European teams who will almost certainly make the last 16 and probably will make up most of the quarter finalists. I'm not sure Chelsea have done enough in recent years to say they're in that group. Man City and Man Utd also have the money to be able to join that group but haven't done enough to warrant inclusion either. 

In a way we were jammy getting Anderlecht out of pot 3, as there were 4 teams from elite countries and 4 from non-elite countries but we were definitely unlucky to get two of the Harlem Globetrotters sides in our group from pots 1 and 2. As I basically said when the draw was made - f**k 'glamour', I'd rather avoid the inevitable pumpings. 

Archived