Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Armstrong looked like he was on drugs, and sinclair was gash yet again. Hopefully Brendan gets some of that sweet, sweet CL money for some upgrades.

Wonder how much I'm going to have to pay for the Europa tickets. Mrs Romeo will be chuffed

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Right, can we finally knock this “ unbelievable atmosphere at Celtic Park on European nights mean that Celtic can beat anyone” tosh on the head. They haven’t won a Champions League or Europa League group match at home for over FOUR YEARS! 

You know it’s a contrived statistic when you ignore earlier rounds in one competition and incorporate group stage games in another competition. I’m sure a job at the Daily Record is yours if you want it.

Just now, DavieCFC said:

That was a pretty pathetic performance from us, shite end to a shite campaign.

Gunna need to upgrade that team in January and look for players to step up their game in order to avoid a 1st round exit in the EL knockouts.

Think we’ll need to avoid a quality side for that more than a decent window. I’d put the chances of that at about 25%.

11 minutes ago, The OP said:

You know it’s a contrived statistic when you ignore earlier rounds in one competition and incorporate group stage games in another competition. I’m sure a job at the Daily Record is yours if you want it.

It’s a bit like a club being labelled invincible despite experiencing ten defeats to date, over this and the previous season in European competition...

Just now, jagfox99 said:

It’s a bit like a club being labelled invincible despite experiencing ten defeats to date, over this and the previous season in European competition...

Mind when Arsenal’s Invincibles went unbeaten in Europe?

A bit of an outsiders view here. 

Don't get to see Celtic much apart from the odd game on the TV and highlights so it was good to get a look at them tonight. 

I felt Anderlecht started strongly and Craig Gordon made an excellent early save or two to keep the tie level. 

Apart from Simunovic's blocked effort, I can't really remember that much threat going forward which I was surprised with. 

I was a little surprised to see the two subs at half-time; not because either player was particularly great or their replacements aren't good enough, more so because I wasn't expecting Rodgers to change it up so quickly and so sharply. 

Ntcham seemed to make a really good impact; always looking to get on the ball, get forward and be positive. 

It was certainly a better performance in the second period but still no where near what I was expecting from Celtic this evening. 

Despite the effort and deterination being there, surprisingly the quality and cutting-edge you guys are well renowned for since BR came in was lacking. 

Luckily it wasn't anything more than a bad night at the office and European football post-Christmas was achieved. 

I certainly agree with the comments above that the squad seems to lack in certain areas and it needs upgraded again to reach that next level. It will be interesting to see how Celtic go about their business in January. 

For anyone interested, my match report is here:

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/12/05/celtic-through-to-europa-league-despite-anderlecht-defeat/

All the Best in the Europa League!

36 minutes ago, The OP said:

Mind when Arsenal’s Invincibles went unbeaten in Europe?

was bored so I looked it up... Arsenal's Invincibles lost 6 times  in  2003/04: Man U, Chelsea, Inter, Dynamo Kyiv, Middlesborough twice

1 hour ago, The OP said:

Yeah I fear for the Europa as there are some quality sides this year. It reminded me of Mönchengladbach at home but Anderlecht ain’t no Mönchengladbach.

In another respect it kinda reminded me of St Johnstone at home. Press us high (particularly Gordon passing out to the centre half) and we panic and resort to hoofball. Boyata is scary at times, not in a good way. 

Boyata is one of the prime reasons i believe we have regressed. Amazing at tackles - but that's 10% at most of what a good defender does.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Rodgers on the radio this morning glorying in the utter failure of his team. 5 humpings out of 6 and it's somehow 'progress', and 'that was our aim'.

He's a fraud, and it's about time the Scottish media started pointing out that his record against any side that has even a smidgen of financial equality with Celtic is absolutely f*cking rank.

Archived