Dundee United 2017/2018

1 hour ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Is it No a bit early to be on the drink

46 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

Said nobody, ever.

Let me explain myself. Mikkelsen was our form player in the last run of games last season, so we can try and keep him or we can try and get Ciftci who hasn't had any serious run of games since he left us - will probably be overweight, has a tendency to get himself sent-off or go in a huff as soon as something doesn't work for him.

It's not that I don't like Nadir, it's just that we have a terrible record of players returning to Tannadice and it would be a massive and expensive risk compared to Mikkelsen.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bang average hibs team that walked the league last season and won the Scottish cup the year before putting many top flight sides in their place.

Bang average is a reasonable assessment. However the usual Hibee arrogance will never let them believe that.

I am betting that Lennon will be out of a job by New Year when realisation sinks in.

Let me explain myself. Mikkelsen was our form player in the last run of games last season, so we can try and keep him or we can try and get Ciftci who hasn't had any serious run of games since he left us - will probably be overweight, has a tendency to get himself sent-off or go in a huff as soon as something doesn't work for him.

It's not that I don't like Nadir, it's just that we have a terrible record of players returning to Tannadice and it would be a massive and expensive risk compared to Mikkelsen.

If we want to get Mikkelson we have to pay a fee

I seem to have wandered into the combined Falkirk v Hibs/Falkirk v Morton thread.
If anyone can point me in the direction of where I can get the latest United admin news, I'd be very grateful.

Apologies [emoji3]

1 hour ago, skinny arab said:

Expect us to go 4-4-2 this season as McKinnon and Taylor have both said they are looking at 2 or 3 strong striker options to complement Keatings (who wouldn't be suitable as a lone striker imo). Solid defence, 2 wingers and a poacher (Keatings) playing off a target man. Ciftci ain't happening. 

I believe they're looking for another 2 strikers, which would give us 3 in total. You'd need more than 3 if you're primarily going to play 442. I think we'll go 4231 but with enough in the squad to change to 442 when required.

I can't handle another season of 4231. Too much shite has happened with that formation. 

442. Wingers. Big target man. Crosses. Goals. Please.

Not tippy tappy to-me-to-you to the disheartened, poor b*****d that gets the shift from hell on his own with no support.

Also, Nadir would literally eat the entire league alive.

Bring him home.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Bang average is a reasonable assessment. However the usual Hibee arrogance will never let them believe that.

I am betting that Lennon will be out of a job by New Year when realisation sinks in.

How many seasons have Falkirk been stuck in the Championship? :lol:

6 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I can't handle another season of 4231. Too much shite has happened with that formation. 

442. Wingers. Big target man. Crosses. Goals. Please.

Not tippy tappy to-me-to-you to the disheartened, poor b*****d that gets the shift from hell on his own with no support.

That's not down to the formation. If you've no width and no pace and the only out-ball is Simon Murray then you're going to struggle to make chances irrespective what formation you play. 4231 didn't do too badly when we had the guys to make it work.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

That's not down to the formation. If you've width and no pace and the only out-ball is Simon Murray then you're going to struggle to make chances irrespective what formation you play. 4231 didn't do too badly when we had the guys to make it work.

It did until it went tits up after the purple patch when players like Gauld, Armstrong, GMS, Ciftci and Robertson got tubbed 4-1 v st mirren , I think it was, and we went on to shit fest that season. And the one after. Then we got relegated. 

The formation of 4231, to me, isolates the forward and exposes the full backs all too often. Especially if the 3 attacking midfielders aren't the best at closing down and tracking back. 

Settling around 6 or 7 new players into a team, in my opinion, would also be better in a traditional, simple 442.

1 minute ago, mishtergrolsch said:

It did until it went tits up after the purple patch when players like Gauld, Armstrong, GMS, Ciftci and Robertson got tubbed 4-1 v st mirren , I think it was, and we went on to shit fest that season. And the one after. Then we got relegated. 

The formation of 4231, to me, isolates the forward and exposes the full backs all too often. Especially if the 3 attacking midfielders aren't the best at closing down and tracking back. 

Settling around 6 or 7 new players into a team, in my opinion, would also be better in a traditional, simple 442.

You might be extending that period beyond it's natural conclusion. We were within touching distance of the top of the league until GMS and Armstrong were sold. By that time only Ciftci was left of the key players who made that formation work and then he left as well.

Safe to say that none were in any way associated with the team which was relegated.

31 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Surely need to be a loan deal as I doubt United could afford anything like his Celtic wages.

Och, I doubt anyone seriously thinks he'll be coming back. It's a nice pipedream but that's about it.

4-4-2 is too easily beaten by teams with a 5 man midfield. Outnumbered in the middle of the park and the attacking midfield can play between the midfield and defence.

Archived