GE 2017 - predictions & likely outcome.

4 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Hmm see I've been having this discussion with some others. I understand a "majority" as being the number of MPs the government has in excess of the number required to win an overall majority.

But others understand it as the number of government MPs less the number of non-government MPs.

The former just seems more intuitive to me. If a governing party had 52 of 100 seats and they lost a by-election I would say their majority decreased by 1 from 2, not by 2 from 4.

When they go to vote 3 of them could stay in the house and still win and 1 could stay in the house after said by-election.

As someone who's main focus is figures your position is not intuitive to me in the slightest.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

When they go to vote 3 of them could stay in the house and still win and 1 could stay in the house after said by-election.

As someone who's main focus is figures your position is not intuitive to me in the slightest.

You seem to conceive of a majority as "how many government members could abstain and a measure still passes".

I take it to mean "how many government members would have to vote against for them not to get a measure passed".

4 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

You seem to conceive of a majority as "how many government members could abstain and a measure still passes".

I take it to mean "how many government members would have to vote against for them not to get a measure passed".

When May called the election the pundits were talking about a 170 majority, that would mean Tories getting 495 seats.

11 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

I think there will be at least one Tory scalp in fishing fleet territory. Might be Moray rather than Banff and Buchan though.

I've decided to vote Lib Dem because my seat is a comfortable SNP hold with Labour in a distant but comfortable second and I don't really care which of them wins the seat in the grander scheme of things, and I'm by political instinct a liberal. For me the major issue in this election is Brexit and minimising Tory seats. I want to step clear of the unedifying sideshow that's emerging between the SNP and Tories about a second independence referendum.

Can't see it being B & B.  Even when the Jimmy Buchan was the Tory candidate and fresh off the Trawlermen series on TV they still had nearly 1/3 less votes than the SNP.

Surely those Tories aren't going to increase their seat count for the third election running...

Wouldn't it be 5?

2017(?)

Granted, they started at an immensely low base...

Just now, Sooky said:

Wouldn't it be 5?

2017(?)

Is there any historical precedence for this?

What a party.

Most the youngsters are turning out in safe labour seats are they not?

Best he can hope for is a hung parliament. Most saying he will get more votes than milliband but less seats.

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Between 1900 and 1923, the Labour party increased their seats in 7 consecutive elections.

So completely unprecedented in the post second world war political era.

Wow.

What an achievement that would be, in such turbulent political times too.

59 minutes ago, F_T_Y said:

Most the youngsters are turning out in safe labour seats are they not?

Best he can hope for is a hung parliament. Most saying he will get more votes than milliband but less seats.

Most student will have gone home. IF the queues in uni polling stations is representative of a significant increase in turnout across the under 30 demographic, pollsters could be eating some humble pie. It may be that in the unis the get out and vote is organised and only covers those still on campus. 

Worth keeping an eye on polling at 7ish onwards as those coming home from work will be voting. Most under 30s are not at uni, man have giant student debts and crippling housing costs.Its not like they do not have a motivation to get out this time. If you get get of your arse to potentially wipe out £40k in debt then you deserve another 5 years of the Tories. 

I have no idea tbh. I'm hopeful that Labour at least reduce the majority, that the SNP don't lose more than 3 or 4 seats net and that Theresa May gets kicked in the pie but I'm not sure what's realistic and what's wishful thinking

SNP will lose around ten seats, scottish media will claim independence is dead, peak snp etc etc. Tories will win with a slight increase in majority but not the landslide May was looking for. p***ks like john woodcock, ian murray  will be lining up to kick corbyn as soon as the exit poll is announced. Corbyn won't stand down and a breakaway labour party will happen.

Archived