GE 2017 - predictions & likely outcome.

Headline Prediction

UK Seats: CON (378), LAB (193), SNP (47), LD (9), PC (3), G (1), NI (18), Speaker (1)

UK popular vote: CON 44%, LAB 34%, LD 8%, UKIP 4%, SNP 4%, Others 6%

CON majority of 53

For Viewers in Scotland

Seats: SNP (47), CON (7), LD (3), LAB (2)

Popular vote: SNP 41%, CON 30%, LAB 24%, LD 5%

Seats to change hands in Scotland:

SNP to CON (6)

Dumries and Galloway

Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk

East Renfrewshire

West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine

Perth and North Perthshire

Banff and Buchan

SNP to LD (2)

East Dunbartonshire

Edinburgh West

SNP to LAB (1)

East Lothian

SNP held seats to be a lot closer than last time but not change hands

Moray

Ochil and South Perthshire

North East Fife

Angus

Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross

Edinburgh South West

UK seat swings

Tories to win Douglas Carswell's old seat back

Lib Dems to lose net one seat to the Tories in England/Wales (2 if Richmond Park assigned Lib Dem)

Tories to win net 40 seats from Labour (39 if Copeland already assigned Tory)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

SNP to CON (6)

Dumries and Galloway

East Renfrewshire

Banff and Buchan

Not going to happen.

7 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Headline Prediction

UK Seats: CON (378), LAB (193), SNP (47), LD (9), PC (3), G (1), NI (18), Speaker (1)

CON majority of 53

For Viewers in Scotland

Seats: SNP (47), CON (7), LD (3), LAB (2)

Popular vote: SNP 41%, CON 30%, LAB 24%, LD 5%

SNP to CON (6)

Dumries and Galloway

East Renfrewshire

Banff and Buchan

SNP to LD (2)

East Dunbartonshire

Edinburgh West

SNP to LAB (1)

East Lothian

SNP held seats to be a lot closer than last time but not change hands

Moray

Ochil and South Perthshire

North East Fife

Angus

Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross

Edinburgh South West

UK seat swings

Tories to win Douglas Carswell's old seat back

Lib Dems to lose net one seat to the Tories in England/Wales (2 if Richmond Park assigned Lib Dem)

Tories to win net 40 seats from Labour (39 if Copeland already assigned Tory)

Who you voting for Libby? 

Straight off, I hope the SNP retains as many seats as possible come Friday.  However, should they slip back to say 45-50 seats, whilst there would be Unionist glee and all sorts of shite spouted about peak-Nat, tomorrow will not be the end of it, by any stretch.  And for one very good reason.

Whilst Scottish independence remains an issue to be resolved and wrangled over, Brexit is in the here and now and it represents a very clear and present danger to the economic wellbeing and already-fraying social fabric of the UK.  And here's the thing; the UK and Europe are still having practice swings on the first tee, not a ball has been hit. That will soon change however, and if hard reality fails to match the giddy Brexit rhetoric all bets will be well and truly off. 

Who would then bet on us all revisiting the independence issue sooner rather than later, especially against a backdrop of a growing omnishambles as May and Co are clinically taken apart in the exit negotiations ?  Whatever happens tomorrow, the SNP is not going anywhere.    

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

Not going to happen.

I think there will be at least one Tory scalp in fishing fleet territory. Might be Moray rather than Banff and Buchan though.

3 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Who you voting for Libby? 

I've decided to vote Lib Dem because my seat is a comfortable SNP hold with Labour in a distant but comfortable second and I don't really care which of them wins the seat in the grander scheme of things, and I'm by political instinct a liberal. For me the major issue in this election is Brexit and minimising Tory seats. I want to step clear of the unedifying sideshow that's emerging between the SNP and Tories about a second independence referendum.

My far less detailed UK predictions (though I didn't just put 18 for N.I!):

I'm really scared, as I've grown a lot more confident just tonight alone...

Tory - 374

Labour - 199

SNP - 45

LD - 9

DUP - 9

SF - 5

PC - 3

SDLP - 3

Green - 1

Indy (that random Northern Irish lady) - 1

Tory handicap is 364.5, going to stick some reddies on over. Reckon like last time, the Tories know they've got this in the bag. I'd say that's about the very minimum total that wouldn't be an out and out minter for them, so I'd be absolutely delighted to lose that bet.

Feeling a bit pessimistic about the SNP (by their ridiculously dominant standards). It's been a bit of a lacklustre campaign this time and tbh, the Unionists have done a number on them (and on themselves in the case of SLab) with how the referendum has been used. Them banging on about Independence 24/7 seems to be exacerbating a fatigue and frustration with Scottish politics, which ironically will mostly hurt the party not banging on about it. I'm generally really into politics and I haven't been able to bring myself to watch most of the debates. Contrary to 2015, it will the Unionists with a keener interest in getting out tomorrow. I'd be delighted with 50 for the SNP but don't see it.

From what I've heard according to those I know who know a lot about Northern Irish politics the Unionist independent seat from last time will go DUP this time.

To be fair, I know f**k all about Northern Ireland! I noted that both UUP MPs have tiny majorities and so just gave their nearest challenger their seat in both (+1 to both DUP and SF)

No one fancy a Lib Dem wipe out? Amazing to think their over/under at the start of the campaign was 29 seats. Delighted I jumped on the under.

Have a feeling they'll get squeezed on the day and end up with a bout 4-5%

Disaster though if there's 5 Lib Dems in the UK and a majority of them are from Scotland.

2 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Headline Prediction

CON majority of 53

Should that not be 106 of a majority, a wee bit sloppy for a top of the classer.

59 minutes ago, Kejan said:

No one fancy a Lib Dem wipe out? Amazing to think their over/under at the start of the campaign was 29 seats. Delighted I jumped on the under.

Have a feeling they'll get squeezed on the day and end up with a bout 4-5%

Disaster though if there's 5 Lib Dems in the UK and a majority of them are from Scotland.

A centrist, staunchly pro-European party, competing against an unusually left and right wing main two; both of whom failed to offer any kind of heartfelt effort to keep Britain in the EU.

The Lib Dems should be taking bodies here and they're likely to be scrambling to reach double figures. Just fold.

12 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Should that not be 106 of a majority, a wee bit sloppy for a top of the classer.

Hmm see I've been having this discussion with some others. I understand a "majority" as being the number of MPs the government has in excess of the number required to win an overall majority.

But others understand it as the number of government MPs less the number of non-government MPs.

The former just seems more intuitive to me. If a governing party had 52 of 100 seats and they lost a by-election I would say their majority decreased by 1 from 2, not by 2 from 4.

Archived