"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

Philip Roberts seem to have the same trajectory with every club he went to.  He started really well with us and then after three or four games, just gave up.  Same thing happened with Falkirk and Dundee.  Every now and then he'd have a wee flash of brilliance but they'd he'd go back to generally being a passenger.

I see he's recently left Farnham Town in the Combined Counties League Premier Division South - the ninth tier of English football.  They were his eighth club since leaving Dartford in 2009!

• Replies 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• TheScarf

• RiG

• PB1994

22 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Tbh, poor signings on low salaries or loans is frustrating, but not as bad as poor players signed on decent contracts for long duration...............Jordan Roberts was one I recall. Arsenal youth product, big expectations and didnt deliver

12 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Do you mean Phil Roberts? Jordan Roberts was a bit later than him and plagued by injuries in his spell here, did score a corker against Motherwell in the cup I think 

Yeah I think (s)he means Phil Roberts. Did okay for us at times but ultimately fell flat. Did have a corker of a drag back that sent Mulgrew (IIRC) off the pitch to set up Mckay for a goal in a 1 - 0 win over Celtic at Parkhead. Also had a massive meltdown when subbed (or sent off) for Falkirk. Worth looking that up.

Jordan Roberts looked like a player and did score a scorching effort against Motherwell in the Scottish Cup but Hughes didn't seem to be a massive fan of him. He was often injured but even after that strike he didn't get too much of a look in.

40 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Do you mean Phil Roberts? Jordan Roberts was a bit later than him and plagued by injuries in his spell here, did score a corker against Motherwell in the cup I think 

Yeah. That's the one, thanks. Knew it was one of the 'something' Roberts but kept thinking was that not the perennial loanee celtic had around that time too.....pretty sure he was Patrick though not Philip. Clarification found though.

49 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Robbo on Sportsound again today, he must be loaded 

This is fuckin embarrassing, we pay a man a salary yet he works for another on our game days.

No other business would allow this.

Best we see the back of the wee shite when his contract ends soon as he brings nothing to the club other than his personal  gravy train.

3 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

This is fuckin embarrassing, we pay a man a salary yet he works for another on our game days.

Best we see the back of the wee shite when his contract ends soon as he brings nothing to the club other than his personal  gravy train.

I would expect him to be at our games to identify what players aren’t up to the required standard. Him and Gardiner can both beat it as far as I’m concerned 

18 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

There would be no open all mics if none of the broadcasters were allowed to contribute on their days off.

10 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I would expect him to be at our games to identify what players aren’t up to the required standard. Him and Gardiner can both beat it as far as I’m concerned 

Taylor Swift doesn't operate the vinyl record press that make her LPs.

In other news, we are one point nearer the top and it is reasonable to think that that would interrupt the negative thoughts of even the most miserable.

I Love You GIF by Taylor Swift 

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I remember Derek Rae once saying that in Spain it’s not unusual for the Director of Football to be in the dugout. I don’t necessarily see a problem with him not attending every one of our games, especially if he’s scouting new players or our league opposition but it doesn’t seem like that’s what he’s doing. 

55 minutes ago, sophia said:

There would be no open all mics if none of the broadcasters were allowed to contribute on their days off.

Taylor Swift doesn't operate the vinyl record press that make her LPs.

In other news, we are one point nearer the top and it is reasonable to think that that would interrupt the negative thoughts of even the most miserable.

I Love You GIF by Taylor Swift 

The clubs chief recruiter having a Saturday off? Really? Have a day off yourself

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

This is fuckin embarrassing, we pay a man a salary

Do we though? He has a contract and we make payments but is he actually salaried........ not that many folks on short or fixed term contracts with those levels of renumeration are and certainly not in sports.

But do agree it's becoming a bit of a pisstake now.

4 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I remember Derek Rae once saying that in Spain it’s not unusual for the Director of Football to be in the dugout. I don’t necessarily see a problem with him not attending every one of our games, especially if he’s scouting new players or our league opposition but it doesn’t seem like that’s what he’s doing. 

Yeah I would agree with that, if he was down in England or at another game

in our league checking out players or an upcoming opponent then fair game. However I doubt there’s much scouting going on when he’s doing the updates for the league above where I imagine most players will be out of price range. 
Really liked Robbo as our gaffer and always thought he spoke well (far better than Dodds) but I feel like this “Sporting Director” role that’s been created is a massive pisstake 

12 minutes ago, scottbamby said:

The clubs chief recruiter having a Saturday off? Really? Have a day off yourself

The club's chief recruiter's remit is surely to assess as many players elsewhere as possible. Moonlighting as a football pundit is surely the ideal way to do that.

Going on about Robertson having other jobs while your manager is Billy Dodds is hilarious.

2 minutes ago, scottbamby said:

I enjoyed the novel and curious nature of your offering as it induced a chuckle.

All of the players on show at Kirkcaldy have already been recruited or, in the case of the opposition, shirley there are enough with delegations of duty to appraise?

As for the hundreds of other games that progressed today, I'm not sure which should've been selected or even, with the imminent end of the transfer window, what could usefully be gained.

12 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Yeah I would agree with that, if he was down in England or at another game

in our league checking out players or an upcoming opponent then fair game. However I doubt there’s much scouting going on when he’s doing the updates for the league above where I imagine most players will be out of price range. 
Really liked Robbo as our gaffer and always thought he spoke well (far better than Dodds) but I feel like this “Sporting Director” role that’s been created is a massive pisstake 

His title is Sporting Director and he wouldn't be doing the job if he wasn't paid.

His whole working experience is football so if he was travelling on our game days to scout other league games I would not complain as he would be bringing benefit to the club.

However he returns to Ross County time after time reporting for the BBC, by this he is not fully committed to Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

He must know that this doesn't go down well with fans yet he continues to give the finger.

Fans make a commitment to the club and support it financially, that commitment for some means travelling in a January winter to Starks park and other away stadiums to support their club, given our location and time and cost of travelling that is no small undertaking and shows their determination, none of them get travelling expenses from the BBC.

Fans expect the same to be shown by senior employees within the club.

Edited by SandyCromarty

20 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

His title is Sporting Director and he wouldn't be doing the job if he wasn't paid.

His whole working experience is football so if he was travelling on our game days to scout other league games I would not complain as he would be bringing benefit to the club.

However he returns to Ross County time after time reporting for the BBC, by this he is not fully committed to Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

He must know that this doesn't go down well with fans yet he continues to give the finger.

Fans make a commitment to the club and support it financially, that commitment for some means travelling in a January winter to Starks park and other away stadiums to support their club, given our location and time and cost of travelling that is no small undertaking and shows their determination, none of them get travelling expenses from the BBC.

Fans expect the same to be shown by senior employees within the club.

Should also be said that our recruitment in the summer has turned out to be rather dreadful so you’d think now would be a great time to be scouting potential players who may becoming free agents in the summer.

14 hours ago, sophia said:

I enjoyed the novel and curious nature of your offering as it induced a chuckle.

All of the players on show at Kirkcaldy have already been recruited or, in the case of the opposition, shirley there are enough with delegations of duty to appraise?

As for the hundreds of other games that progressed today, I'm not sure which should've been selected or even, with the imminent end of the transfer window, what could usefully be gained.

Wow. Read the last paragraph there and have a wee think about it. 

I'd be surprised if we signed anyone else this window. Attention now should be turning towards contracts for next season and who's staying and who's leaving, including the manager. Do we have enough money to sign anyone? I would think we would have to let players go to bring in any new faces for next season.

Hendo has impacted really well and it would be a massive plus for us if we sign him, he's given us an edge that we had been sadly lacking. His contract with St Mirren is up at the end of May, but then someone like Queen's Park or Partick Thistle could offer him more money. If Doran is released then we might just afford him.

Billy McKay is another, on fire at the moment, but out of contract end of season. He is 34 and is the biggest player earner at the club, at the moment we are getting value for him. If he continues the way he is going I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be offered say another two years. Another is getting our two best center backs signed, we could lose one but losing both would be a massive problem.

Also the question how many players who's contracts are up in May want to continue playing for Dodds if possibly thrown into the mix are other new options of teams that might be more attractive to play for such as Dunfermline or Falkirk if they come up.

A lot of this is reliant on how much of a financial hit we are going to take.