"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

I think it’s time to talk about Nathan Shaw. His form is a large part of the reason we are struggling. It’s probably unfair how much we rely on him for creativity/penetration but I don’t think it’s unfair to say he has been a massive disappointment, among many others, this season. The lack of alternative options probably hasn’t helped as he’s basically guaranteed a starting place every week.

I really don’t like Billy Mckay in this system. It doesn’t play to his strengths at all. Our build up leads to one of the best penalty box strikers in the league receiving the ball… anywhere but the penalty box.

I actually think we’re fine defensively, we are however in desperate need of attacking reinforcements. 

1 minute ago, scottbamby said:

I think it’s time to talk about Nathan Shaw. His form is a large part of the reason we are struggling. It’s probably unfair how much we rely on him for creativity/penetration but I don’t think it’s unfair to say he has been a massive disappointment, among many others, this season. The lack of alternative options probably hasn’t helped as he’s basically guaranteed a starting place every week.

I really don’t like Billy Mckay in this system. It doesn’t play to his strengths at all. Our build up leads to one of the best penalty box strikers in the league receiving the ball… anywhere but the penalty box.

I actually think we’re fine defensively, we are however in desperate need of attacking reinforcements. 

He most likely would be unhappy with his performance today and his first half touch was conspicuous in its imprecision 

I wondered if Wotherspoon was somehow stymying him but he delivered little after the change. 

As for the game, as much as I craved a joie de vivre to close a partially successful 2023, I guess a clean point is a future foundation 

3 hours ago, scottbamby said:

Totally agree with you there's been a few times in the last few matches that I've been looking for him when we're on the attack and he's offering support instead of being in the box it's like he's playing as a false nine.

17 hours ago, scottbamby said:

I don’t know how long we’re going to persist with this system but I suspect it’s largely causing his poor form. I think he’s best wide left, similar to last season. This formation is so defensive he’s practically a right central midfielder for much of the game.

I agree on Billy too, he’s dropping deep but then we’ve nothing in the box. That summed the second half up yesterday.

Mr Dunc’s remit is to avoid relegation and we’re playing like it.

There’s a couple of Everton youths being mentioned on CTO but I’d rather go with the tried and tested route of young wingers from a Scottish Premiership side like Chalmers in 21/22 and Henderson last season. 

While we failed to create much against morton there is also the fact that they sat 11 behind the ball in their own half pretty much all day. Other than occasional breaks they offered nothing and clearly played for a point.

We do need more creativity and their are some players not either up to this level or playing at it but in our league any team set up as negative as a morton would get a draw.

Be interesting to see with Dunc contacts what kind of new faces and options he can bring especially if they are outwith the usual avenues. We also need a clear out but I suspect caution due to not wanting to waste cash on pay offs while being short on numbers.

4 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

While we failed to create much against morton there is also the fact that they sat 11 behind the ball in their own half pretty much all day. Other than occasional breaks they offered nothing and clearly played for a point.

We do need more creativity and their are some players not either up to this level or playing at it but in our league any team set up as negative as a morton would get a draw.

- If you exclude all those times when they attacked, then they didn't offer anything in the game.

- It was impossible for a borderline competent team to break down a team featuring such stalwarts like Kirk Broadfoot (67), because they were just too negative. 

I'm not sure if the saltiness or the delusional nature of your take on that game is more enjoyable. 

Just now, virginton said:

- If you exclude all those times when they attacked, then they didn't offer anything in the game.

- It was impossible for a borderline competent team to break down a team featuring such stalwarts like Kirk Broadfoot (67), because they were just too negative. 

I'm not sure if the saltiness or the delusional nature of your take on that game is more enjoyable. 

Great read. Please continue to visit this thread and contribute with such insights.

Switch to a back 4 please, Harper doesn’t have the attacking ability to play as a wing back IMO. Means we can play Longstaff and Shaw in their actual positions rather than whatever the f**k they’re being told to do right now. 

Are we allergic to having a shot from outside the box? All good and well when there’s space to make the pretty passes in behind but I’ve not seen us have a go from 18-25 yards since Dunc came in. 

On 31/12/2023 at 17:04, bdu98196 said:

Great read. Please continue to visit this thread and contribute with such insights.

Looking forward to seeing you explain away your pumping today champ. 

IMG_0212.jpg.f8f14ab7e0b8cc1625015a50c4830392.jpg