1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

One of the curiosities of the salary cap in MLS is that teams have to publish their players salaries

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

Mueller was on just over $2.5k a week in his last job

Aye, I had seen that previously - and while he has moved continent, it seems somewhat unlikely that we would have given him between 3 and 5 times that to move to Hibs regardless of what aggie the tea lady says..............

14 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

What does anyone think of this press conference? Some worried by his comments, some others aren't. 

He talks a good game and tbf he has backed it up with money for buying players and longer term contracts. Not convinced the decisions are always sound though, particularly giving some players longer contracts. 

He seems to have a view or vision for Hibs.  The key point is who does he have around him that understands football and Scottish football in particular.  Not convinced Kensall or Kean are right folk. 

4 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Oh! I got that he meant Hibs, but I wanted to see if his brain cells might kick in. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have any.

4 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Oh! I got that he meant Hibs, but I wanted to see if his brain cells might kick in. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have any.

And here's me thinking I was  just disputing a point  with your run of the mill idiots from Easter Road and a heilander from the wilds, Eye opening to discover it's English professors and geniuses from Mensa no less. Talk about giving your minds a treat priceless

10 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

How much time should he need, ffs?????

I reckon all clubs should base such a calculation on the length of time Manchester United's board took to realise Fergie was worth keeping after a pretty mediocre start at Old Trafford.

I'm not saying that Maloney (or Ross) is the new messiah, just that clubs rarely wait long enough to allow managers to show their capabilities because instant success is demanded of them.

How many potential Fergies have been binned without having a chance to instil their way of playing, often without the opportunity to bring in players to suit their system?

Also, if the board keeps making error after error in their choice of manager, how come they don't pay the penalty for it?  

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

One of the curiosities of the salary cap in MLS is that teams have to publish their players salaries

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

Mueller was on just over $2.5k a week in his last job

£1,824 is that even above average for a Hibs player? He's probably on a bit more now or he would have stayed put?

47 minutes ago, Squonk said:

I reckon all clubs should base such a calculation on the length of time Manchester United's board took to realise Fergie was worth keeping after a pretty mediocre start at Old Trafford

Fergie was appointed in late 86 and in the period from 1/1/87 to mid April had won 8 league game.

Maloney appointed late 2021 and in the period from 1/1/22 to mid April had won 1 league game.

I would gladly have accepted half of Fergies "mediocre" start..........................

3 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Dear Shauny, you came in a couple of days after we played in a cup final for domestic honours and we finished 3rd and made the Scottish Cup final last season. We also played in Europe this year.  You didn't have to move us forward, all you had to do was not be an utter disaster. 

2 hours ago, Squonk said:

I reckon all clubs should base such a calculation on the length of time Manchester United's board took to realise Fergie was worth keeping after a pretty mediocre start at Old Trafford.

I'm not saying that Maloney (or Ross) is the new messiah, just that clubs rarely wait long enough to allow managers to show their capabilities because instant success is demanded of them.

How many potential Fergies have been binned without having a chance to instil their way of playing, often without the opportunity to bring in players to suit their system?

Also, if the board keeps making error after error in their choice of manager, how come they don't pay the penalty for it?  

Fergie always gets used as this example it gets my goat.  He had transformed Aberdeen into the best club in scotland winning European trophies.  Maloney put out cones for the failed Everton manager who can't even get the best group of international players near a trophy. 

OK, so Fergie's maybe not the best example in view of his previous success, but he lost the first two games then only won one away game in the entire season. It is well documented that Man United's hierarchy was concerned about his early days at the club, but, fortunately for him and them, the board stuck with him and he was able to implement changes for the long term good of the club.

Regardless, my point stands that managers are given insufficient time to implement their plans. More often than not, boards simply replace one manager who is perceived to have failed with another familiar face from the carousel of managerial failures.

Innovative clubs who take a chance on managers such as Glass, Maloney and Cathro should be applauded for their bravery, but there's little point in such appointments if the clubs are not going to afford their manager sufficient time.

Where Hibs have missed a trick is by not listening to the “lads” on Radio Shortbread. Imagine an American gazillionaire not listening to advice from Pat Bonnar, Billy Dodds, Derek Ferguson and all the other wastrels that frequent that godforsaken channel.

Och it's all a bit exciting isn't it? I usually find my Hibs news by typing 'Hibs' into Google and scrawling through pages of nonsense about prospective signings dreamt up by minimum wage EEN journalists, or stories about Tam McManus' girlfriend's niece's pet canary. 

But now there's a bit of.... pizazz about the whole thing. 

OK, so Fergie's maybe not the best example in view of his previous success, but he lost the first two games then only won one away game in the entire season. It is well documented that Man United's hierarchy was concerned about his early days at the club, but, fortunately for him and them, the board stuck with him and he was able to implement changes for the long term good of the club.
Regardless, my point stands that managers are given insufficient time to implement their plans. More often than not, boards simply replace one manager who is perceived to have failed with another familiar face from the carousel of managerial failures.
Innovative clubs who take a chance on managers such as Glass, Maloney and Cathro should be applauded for their bravery, but there's little point in such appointments if the clubs are not going to afford their manager sufficient time.

Mind you that’s the same Man United that previously employed Ron Atkinson for 5 years.

9 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

Och it's all a bit exciting isn't it? I usually find my Hibs news by typing 'Hibs' into Google and scrawling through pages of nonsense about prospective signings dreamt up by minimum wage EEN journalists, or stories about Tam McManus' girlfriend's niece's pet canary. 

But now there's a bit of.... pizazz about the whole thing. 

Excellent example of the correct use of possessive punctuation.  

On 21/04/2022 at 08:53, Leith Green said:

The last rumour was that it was £9000 a week and was being financed out of Rons own pocket.

Amazing how many people have "good sources" who make up complete drivel?

Dont worry yourself about Ron G, he wont be anywhere near your club - he was only interested in buying a club where he could increase the revenues.

I don’t have any dog in the fight here, but I also heard that it was 9k per week for “some” of Maloneys signings. I’ve no reason to disbelieve it based on who told me, however every reason to disbelieve it due to the fact it’s absolutely wild if true. 

£1,824 is that even above average for a Hibs player? He's probably on a bit more now or he would have stayed put?

That figure doesn’t tell us what he’s on at Hibs but they do give us some context for the various suggestions. It seems reasonable to assume that he’d be require a better deal but the idea that hibs had to quadruple his wages seems implausible