40 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Interesting comment from Ethan Laidlaw's dad (who obviously has a reason to maybe be a bit one sided about things) after the chat on here recently about Laidlaw and how youth has been treated at Hibs in recent times 

I missed it? Sorry to be a pain, can you summarize/link back?

11 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

I missed it? Sorry to be a pain, can you summarize/link back?

Aye there was a conversation (mainly me moaning) about how our first instinct has been to stick our most promising players out on loan rather than have their first experience of first team football being training with and getting a little run of appearances in the first team as we're seeing with Whittaker the now. Was mainly due to the lack of depth in the squad being largely in positions where McIntyre, Aitken and Josh O'Connor could be helping us out and getting experience at the level we actually want them to eventually play at.

Laidlaw came into that as it seemed very strange that despite being so highly thought of prior to last season he never really got a chance at all, and there certainly didn't seem to have been any plan made/discussions held with him to decide a plan on getting first team appearances. Someone made the very good point that he's had EPL clubs in his ear for years and we likely wouldn't have been able to keep him anyway - so it's interesting to see his Dad/representative implying that a lack of pathway was a real factor in the decision to leave Hibs. 

Given it was something I was pissed off at this is the area of Montgomery's management where, if he carries on as he is just now, I'm most excited about. The odds of even a majority making it is obviously remote but off the top of my head: 

Johnson

Megwa Blaney Whittaker McIntyre 

Molitnikov Aitken Kenneh Delferriere McCallister 

O'Connor - Dare I say Melkerson 

Are all guys who look very promising and could all provide us at least squad coverage in the coming years that avoids sinking more and more budget into squad filling w**k. Obviously Kenneh and Melkerson have both had chances in the team and not really looked up to it so far but they're both under 21 and I'd say have a good chance of being at least decent players at our level. Maybe more fit into NM's chat about clean slates like Tavares.     

Eta Delferriere, apologies for I'm sure the number of name mispellings in that list above.

Edited by GHF-23

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Yep. No idea why it wasn't done pre season, will be a dreadful crowd.

Decades ago Gordon Rae's testimonial was played in October against the same opponents. 

I can say I was there getting very drookit in the old cowshed on a wet night but I had a good view of Tortolano halving Gordon Strachan.... 

12 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Seen a few comments wanting Monty out already and Lee Johnson was a better manager than him :lol: 

Only by morons.

First loss in 7 games and its already obvious that he is getting more out of this team than LJ was.

Clearly a tactical error not dropping one winger for another midfielder. He seems wedded to 442, but I hope he sees that we cant necessarily play one way against the better teams.

We absolutely need new defenders in Jan.

Be interesting to see if he tries a different setup against Celtic next week, would like to see Levitt in that midfield.

18 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Only by morons.

First loss in 7 games and its already obvious that he is getting more out of this team than LJ was.

Clearly a tactical error not dropping one winger for another midfielder. He seems wedded to 442, but I hope he sees that we cant necessarily play one way against the better teams.

We absolutely need new defenders in Jan.

Be interesting to see if he tries a different setup against Celtic next week, would like to see Levitt in that midfield.

Would drop one of the strikers and bring in Levitt. Play Levitt behind the striker. 

13 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Would drop one of the strikers and bring in Levitt. Play Levitt behind the striker. 

Agreed, Vente or ALF could work hard for 60 mins and be subbed by the other.

It's not like we don't have good options up front.

It's the midfield that - in certain games - is misfiring.*

*I am ignoring the defensive issues as they speak for themselves.

Another way to look at it is that as a middling club in a small country, we can only ever buy average players, whom if they could perform at a high level week in, week out, would be earning more money at a bigger club. 

So we'll always have misfiring goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders, forwards. It was never any different. 

The problem at Ibrox it that we had a mix of very slow players (Marshall, Hanlon, Jeggo, Newell, ALF Vente, Doidge etc) and very low football IQ players (Obita, Youan, Miller, Fish) 

Even Boyle is toiling these days.