26 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Any chance of a separate Malky Mackay thread?

This is just going to go round and round in circles all summer. 

There's a 'normalisation of the far right' thread over on the politics forum tbf.

The jokes write themselves.

15 minutes ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

There's a 'normalisation of the far right' thread over on the politics forum tbf.

The jokes write themselves.

so anybody who dosnt agree with cancelling MM is a Nazi now ? 

2 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

Maybe I've missed it, but are people leaping to Malky's defense or excusing him? 

I know some have said "when I was younger I said so and so" but even those people aren't saying it was right then or right in Malky's case.

Malky was in his 40s when he came out with this vile stuff so will now be mid 50s? I hear people older than him using Ch***ys when talking about the Chinese take aways and 'the doctor came in today, black fella BUT he was nice' like he wouldn't be because of his skin colour! But it's classed as a generational thing and I could kind of get that as the context in which those two examples were used arent hatred.

Malky's was different all together and had an undertone 

I'm not defending him at all im just making the point that i dont believe his life should be over because of it, people in football have done much worse and seem to get a pass. Martindale, Bartley etc

As fun as it's been to read paragons of moral virtue pass public opinion on a person they do not know, I'm still inclined to let they who are without sin cast the first stone.

I also assume that we have many unemployed people here because their conscience couldn't possibly tolerate them continuing in employment or accepting a job if they've ever caused offence at some point in their lives through their ill educated views.

f**k. OFF. 

If Hibs improve under Mackay no-one will give a shit about anything else because football fan folk are raging hypocrites with too much time on their hands and not nearly enough sense of self-awareness.

26 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

so anybody who dosnt agree with cancelling MM is a Nazi now ? 

You need to work on your reading comprehension my man.

11 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Things being a decade ago are maybe a defence for someone that is between the age of 23-30.

However Malky Mackay was a 40 year old man, and it wasn’t WhatsApp’s with mates, it was on an official club channel.

They spoke about it very well on The Terrace podcast about it.

Mackay is the antithesis of David Martindale in this sense, Mackays response to getting found out was to attend a tick box training course, give a half arsed statement saying it was wrong and accused everyone else of being just as bigoted as he is.

Martindale however has spoke time and time again about how he’s learned from it, how horrible a thing was that he did, he invests time into helping young people that were like him and show them a better way.

Have absolutely no issues with people that want to continue going to Hibs games, some friends will, some family will, me and 2 mates will not for the time while he’s here.

However the people leaping to the defence of his behaviour and excusing it are for the watching, especially those that aren’t even Hibs supporters.

Michael Stewart made a terrible point (I know,  I was shocked too) on Sportsound the other night about how people treated Martindale better than Mackay despite him having done something much worse. 

Completely missing the point of why people feel inclined to give him a second chance which you've just laid out.  

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Michael Stewart made a terrible point (I know,  I was shocked too) on Sportsound the other night about how people treated Martindale better than Mackay despite him having done something much worse. 

Completely missing the point of why people feel inclined to give him a second chance which you've just laid out.  

not much worse, much much much worse.

Bartley was just much much worse. letting him off with a much there.

Edited by Arab_R_us

3 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I'm sorry people talking about your club appointing a homophobic racist annoys you.

Am I doing apologies right?

2 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

I'm not defending him at all im just making the point that i dont believe his life should be over because of it, people in football have done much worse and seem to get a pass. Martindale, Bartley etc

You've done nothing but defend him for pages and pages now.

2 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

His life isn't over.  He's still alive.  He's not in jail, and nobody has called for him to be jailed.  He's not been evicted from his home, or reduced to begging on the streets.  In fact he's continued to have high-profile jobs, presumably quite well paid, in his chosen career.  He's never been sacked because of what he did. All things considered, it's pretty well the opposite of his life being over.  He faces continued public criticism and as far as ongoing consequences of his actions are concerned, that's really it.
As in most cases of people whining and wheedling about bigots getting "cancelled", there isn't actually any material consequence these people have suffered.  It's criticism, it's people choosing not to associate themselves and their businesses with them, it's not actually a "cancellation" in any meaningful sense of the word.

On 16/05/2024 at 12:58, gannonball said:

Tbh if he came out and said it was terrible shock factor banter but looking back on them he is absolutely horrified with himself then I think people wouldn't be as objectionable towards him as it's a guy taking responsibility for his actions. But he hasn't, which suggests for me he isn't sorry, he's just sorry it got leaked.

Yeah this is broadly what I feel. I'd not actually realised the extent of it. At the time the focus was on "not many white faces in there", or words to that effect which to be fair is fairly factual albeit with an edge. However the monopoly "joke" was absolutely out of order and TBH, only funny if you're racist.

I think if he had said something to address it, and even now 10 years on along the lines of - I understand and know what I did was wrong and I apologize for them etc etc it would help 

35 minutes ago, morrison said:

I'm sorry people talking about your club appointing a homophobic racist annoys you.

Am I doing apologies right?

You've done nothing but defend him for pages and pages now.

im not defending him as such im just against people getting cancelled for certain things and getting a pass for worse things.

Hell im pretty sure Bartley and Martindale have even been on the terrace podcast, so a couple of those guys are hypocrites imo

On 15/05/2024 at 13:09, Glen Scotia said:

Bin Laden was/is extreme but it was used as a point.

I guess the closest thing we have in football and something to see the effect of it is, Manchester City and the Saudis. I'd argue that City's popularity has risen since they took over which has also rewarded them with silverware 

Manchester City aren't owned by Saudis.

5 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

not much worse, much much much worse.

Bartley was just much much worse. letting him off with a much there.

I've made the point on other threads of the irony of Bartley, who has a conviction for threatening a woman, being made some sort of diversity champion by the SFA. 

7 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

im not defending him as such im just against people getting cancelled for certain things and getting a pass for worse things.

Hell im pretty sure Bartley and Martindale have even been on the terrace podcast, so a couple of those guys are hypocrites imo

Martindale's done his time and has spoken frankly about his regret and how he changed. Bit different 

7 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

Wish you'd get cancelled.

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

I've made the point on other threads of the irony of Bartley, who has a conviction for threatening a woman, being made some sort of diversity champion by the SFA. 

Some of the posts on Hibs net are a hoot.

"We've had...... (list of the various scumbags Hibs have had over the years) and either nobody said a word or they were heros"

What's the problem with Malky the homophobic,  misogynistic racist?

12 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Get used to it. It used to be a hot topic in any county related thread the whole time he was with us