When did "rookie" become part of the vernacular of Scottish/British sport?

Squads will soon be "rosters" and boots will be called "cleats" if this shite isn't stamped out.

Edited by Crawford Bridge
Shanglish.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Going by you and LG's (typical) response, I would suggest there is quite some sensitivity.

Take Goodwin, for us, a stellar player in the stripes, captained the side and won cups. When he came to manage us, he was considerably more experienced than Gray is now, yet I've watched him bring in a player, identify where they'll play, explain how it'll help the team, then play them out of position and ask them to do something different.

My post was overall positive, but it seems some fans can't take that and have to find fault. Maybe just take it on face value that, a rookie manager can make mistakes and that a player can become injured, the two points I raised are valid reasons why Kwon may not succeed. If he does though, and this points to the positivity of my post, he can be a real force in that defensive midfield. I would happily have taken him back with us, but I guess Celtic saw they'd get more money out of Hibs, and that's fair. He's not the most creative though, and he's got a honking shot on him, but overall I do genuinely wish him well. He's not going to disrupt the dressing room, and he always gives 100% (at least that's what it looks like on the pitch).

Hide contents

Also, LG, just reply to me rather than the passive aggressive reply via another person's quote. You just look silly doing that.

Ok so that's an appraisal of Jim Goodwin based on evidence of having watching him manage multiple teams over multiple seasons. You've still not really said why you suggested that Gray has a tendency to ruin players. You've now slightly backtracked and said rookie managers 'can' make mistakes which 'may' lead to players getting injured. 

I'm not disputing the fact you're largely positive about Kwon's abilities as a football player which is good to hear. However, that was accompanied by a bizarre dig at David Gray which is why we're having this conversation.

Edited by conboyhibs

8 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

When did "rookie" become part of the vernacular of Scottish/British sport.

Squads will soon be "rosters" and boots will be called "cleats" if this shite isn't stamped out.

I read that as "roasters". Which might not be too far from the truth... 

Also The Rookie Cookie seems to be part of the vernacular of Midlothian football... 

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The Rookie Cookie seems to be part of the vernacular of Midlothian football... 

Penicuik fans are just Jambos too tight to travel into "the big toon" so that figures......

57 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

We’re going down this season. 

We’ll definitely need to see a lot better from two of our summer signings if we are to avoid being involved at that end of the table. So far Ekpiteta and Bursik look like downgrades on what was here before.

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

We’re going down this season. 

There are two main stages when a squad can be judged.

1. At the end of a season

2. At the end of the first round of fixtures

We're at neither point, haven't completed our squad in this window yet AND have the Jan window to address the issues.

Having said that, it would be great if we got relegated; we win loads of games in the second tier, it's much more fun to watch. 

7 hours ago, Zing. said:

We’ll definitely need to see a lot better from two of our summer signings if we are to avoid being involved at that end of the table. So far Ekpiteta and Bursik look like downgrades on what was here before.

I know we're trying to sign another defender but after today I want us to sign another keeper as Bursik isn't good enough. 

Hopefully we'll make improvements before the end of the window. 

6 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

There are two main stages when a squad can be judged.

1. At the end of a season

2. At the end of the first round of fixtures

We're at neither point, haven't completed our squad in this window yet AND have the Jan window to address the issues.

Having said that, it would be great if we got relegated; we win loads of games in the second tier, it's much more fun to watch. 

Plus you get to visit Airdrie and Ayr twice a season. 

7 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Plus you get to visit Airdrie and Ayr twice a season. 

Shouldn't wish visiting Airdrie on anyone.

8 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

I know we're trying to sign another defender but after today I want us to sign another keeper as Bursik isn't good enough. 

Hopefully we'll make improvements before the end of the window. 

If we signed a new player for each position after the current incumbent has a couple of dodgy games, we'd have a squad of thousands. 

Perhaps we can coach the young lad instead with I dunno, a goalie coach mibbie?

4 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

If we signed a new player for each position after the current incumbent has a couple of dodgy games, we'd have a squad of thousands. 

Hibs have a GK coach

5 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

I want to see Murray Johnson do well at Airdrie this season and get him in as our new number 1 next season. 

Being a long time miserable cynic I can't help thinking being the best run football club in Scotland is akin to being the best policeman in the Keystone Kops (modern reference there)

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Being a long time miserable cynic I can't help thinking being the best run football club in Scotland is akin to being the best policeman in the Keystone Kops (modern reference there)

Or the tallest dwarf.