4 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Mackay seems like an absolute bellend and I don't get any attempt to defend him on the grounds of it being banter,  WhatsApp being an unregulated shitshow etc.  But it hasn't held him back in his career, let's be honest, so any accusations of 'the Woke brigade' persecuting  him are ridiculous. 

Hibs can employ who they want and it's up to their fans how they react to it.  The rest of us will rightly take the piss, but ultimately he'll get judged on his work.   That judgement will just come a lot sooner because he's a bellend, cause he's not got any goodwill stored up.

not necessarily he just needs to fire the manager. The DOF might not come under real scrutiny till 2/3 managers in and that will be years

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Mackay seems like an absolute bellend and I don't get any attempt to defend him on the grounds of it being banter,  WhatsApp being an unregulated shitshow etc.  But it hasn't held him back in his career, let's be honest, so any accusations of 'the Woke brigade' persecuting  him are ridiculous. 

Hibs can employ who they want and it's up to their fans how they react to it.  The rest of us will rightly take the piss, but ultimately he'll get judged on his work.   That judgement will just come a lot sooner because he's a bellend, cause he's not got any goodwill stored up.

Tbh if he came out and said it was terrible shock factor banter but looking back on them he is absolutely horrified with himself then I think people wouldn't be as objectionable towards him as it's a guy taking responsibility for his actions. But he hasn't, which suggests for me he isn't sorry, he's just sorry it got leaked.

Edited by gannonball

Just now, Arab_R_us said:

not necessarily he just needs to fire the manager. The DOF might not come under real scrutiny till 2/3 managers in and that will be years

I don't think he'll get 2/3 managers.  Folk were wanting Joe Savage sacked earlier this season because not every player we signed was a world beater.

If his first decision is bringing in a manager who's shite he'll be under massive pressure right from the go

3 hours ago, AndyM said:

Muhammad Ali said it best ""A man who thinks the same at 40 as he did at 20 has wasted 20 years of his life."

Is this not part of the problem though? It's never been something where he could use the folly of youth as a defence. He was in his 40's at the time.

Someone who speaks like that at that age generally just tends to be a fanny.

Just now, gannonball said:

Tbh if he came out and said it was shock factor banter but looking back on them he is absolutely horrified with himself then I think people wouldn't be as objectionable towards him as it's a guy taking responsibility for his actions. But he hasn't, which suggests for me he isn't sorry, he's just sorry it got leaked.

The last point is the key thing for me.   That's always how he's come across

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I don't think he'll get 2/3 managers.  Folk were wanting Joe Savage sacked earlier this season because not every player we signed was a world beater.

If his first decision is bringing in a manager who's shite he'll be under massive pressure right from the go

dont think that will bother him - he has a hard neck

Just now, Tony Wonder said:

Is this not part of the problem though? It's never been something where he could use the folly of youth as a defence. He was in his 40's at the time.

agree

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Wasn't speaking about Mackay there more my own experience of playing football in the 90s.

Mackay has no excuse for what he said. But I'd hope he's changed. 

Edited by AndyM

2 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The last point is the key thing for me.   That's always how he's come across

he probably isnt all that sorry no, but he knows the world we live in and will know he will have to pretent to be sorry. Play the game so to speak :)

52 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

We're talking Hibs here...

1 hour ago, Arab_R_us said:

not necessarily he just needs to fire the manager. The DOF might not come under real scrutiny till 2/3 managers in and that will be months

FTFY, given it's Hibs we're talking about.

Don't bother with Ian Murray, he's a shite manager with no ambition whatsoever,  he's done nothing worthy of note with us at raith,  honestly, Just don't bother. Waste of time.

8 hours ago, AndyM said:

Do I think his texts were funny? Not really. They were puerile and offensive. But they were over a decade ago. And something I find more offensive is the sanctimony and hypocrisy from some individuals who are far from clean themselves.

Do I think he should be banned from earning a living in football? Certainly not. Hopefully he will do a good job as technical director at HIbs. He has his work cut out sorting out a bloated squad and resetting the football structures.  

Try sending homophobic, racist, sexist, anti-semetic, jokes to your workmates via group email, and see how your employment status looks in 10 years.

Playing it down as "banter with his mates when this was acceptable" is wild stuff.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Try sending homophobic, racist, sexist, anti-semetic, jokes to your workmates via group email, and see how your employment status looks in 10 years.

Playing it down as "banter with his mates when this was acceptable" is wild stuff.

What part of me calling Mackay’s texts offensive escaped you? 

Things being a decade ago are maybe a defence for someone that is between the age of 23-30.

However Malky Mackay was a 40 year old man, and it wasn’t WhatsApp’s with mates, it was on an official club channel.

They spoke about it very well on The Terrace podcast about it.

Mackay is the antithesis of David Martindale in this sense, Mackays response to getting found out was to attend a tick box training course, give a half arsed statement saying it was wrong and accused everyone else of being just as bigoted as he is.

Martindale however has spoke time and time again about how he’s learned from it, how horrible a thing was that he did, he invests time into helping young people that were like him and show them a better way.

Have absolutely no issues with people that want to continue going to Hibs games, some friends will, some family will, me and 2 mates will not for the time while he’s here.

However the people leaping to the defence of his behaviour and excusing it are for the watching, especially those that aren’t even Hibs supporters.

Posted (edited)

Maybe I've missed it, but are people leaping to Malky's defense or excusing him? 

I know some have said "when I was younger I said so and so" but even those people aren't saying it was right then or right in Malky's case.

Malky was in his 40s when he came out with this vile stuff so will now be mid 50s? I hear people older than him using Ch***ys when talking about the Chinese take aways and 'the doctor came in today, black fella BUT he was nice' like he wouldn't be because of his skin colour! But it's classed as a generational thing and I could kind of get that as the context in which those two examples were used arent hatred.

Malky's was different all together and had an undertone 

Edited by Glen Scotia
Edit