Glenafton Athletic Double Winners - where do you rate them compared to the greats?

Shanner

I think it's fair to say nobody expected a Double winning side to emerge from anywhere but Hurlford or Auchinleck at the start of the season (maybe Kelty if you're an East coaster). 

Conventional wisdom dictates that it takes a "mature" or established side to win Doubles - teams that have built up to it over a longer period and use hard earned experience to expand their success.

Glenafton defied that expectation and showed terrific maturity in their amazing rise. They could easily have collapsed in the League run in, and they could easily have bottled it today after going a goal behind today - but in retrospect they never looked like anything but winners. The way they saw the game out today was as impressive as the strike that put them in the lead.  

It wasn't perhaps a vintage season in terms of overall quality but they were peerless and did it with enough style to be thought of as one of the great sides in years to come. The big question now is can they build a lasting dominance to cement their legacy?

Any team that picks up this double should rightly be congratulated but it`s way too early to be talking about legacies and dominance. If they are still winning and competing at this level consistently over the next 3,4,5 years then you start to look at them differently and only then (IMO) can you start to talk about legacies etc. 

3 minutes ago, It's a stramash said:

How many times has the double been done?

Since the Superleague era I think it's just been Linlithgow once and Talbot twice (I might be mistaken).

It's pretty rare and has taken something special to do in the past. 

17 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Calm doon, Shanner. Heard this last year about Beith. See how that's worked out?
Just let Glenafton enjoy their season without labelling them.

Nah, doesn't work like that. They're the big boys now!

Firstly well done to the Glens for a great season, from my point of view as a Beith fan it as far as the league is concerned what could have been and if we hadnt drew so many games things may have been different and Glens may not have won the league. Glens were the most consistent team over the piece and deserved to win the league. Comparing them tho to the great teams like the Talbots, Linlithgows etc of this world is a bit early, if the repeat the feat next year then we can maybe contemplate comparisons to great teams of the past. 

It would be churlish and silly not to acknowledge Glens dominance this season. Of course they're the "big boys". But to be considered as an all time great, you have to keep knocking down the next wannabe big boys. Until they've done that, this thread is a moot point

Winning Doubles puts you in pretty rarefied company - 

5 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

It would be churlish and silly not to acknowledge Glens dominance this season. Of course they're the "big boys". But to be considered as an all time great, you have to keep knocking down the next wannabe big boys. Until they've done that, this thread is a moot point

You just compared them to the greats per thread title. was that so hard? 

You can only beat what's put in front of you n glens have done that ,can honestly say regardless of beith draws (best football playing team in league IMO) n Talbot in transition this glens team best I've seen in over 30 years following juniors but the hard work starts now as your now thee scalp of the juniors we know that feeling well.

Few sore heads in new Cumnock this morning id imagine [emoji23][emoji23]

Nah. The lads are off the drink. They have a game on Wednesday.

Yeah right [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]

Great memorable season for the Glens, however I said this to the Beith fans, once your up there everyone raises their game and it will be tough next season as you are the team to beat. Handling that is when great teams and eras are established in my humble opinion. However, the Glens guys will hardly be worrying about that just right now. Enjoy your win, deserved in the end!

Archived