The DUP

Blootoon87

13 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Didn't the Sunday World run a story years ago about a male SF Councillor running off with a female DUP Councillor?

Just because the Sunday World printed it doesn't mean it happened.

On 15/02/2023 at 21:39, sophia said:

This news most likely is bad news for the self styled DUP and who wouldn't welcome that.

That this establishes a framework for European border trade puts an end to the prospect of Gretna guards is a victory for all who are sentient.

What was true 100 years ago is true today.

"What a fool I was. I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into power,"

10 hours ago, The Golden God said:

These c***s saying they’re not going to compromise on any sort of deal. Amazes (and also doesn’t) me that they’ve not just been told to f**k off. They’ve no mandate and are just doing this because they don’t want a Sinn Fein FM, why don’t they just admit that. 

Wrong

They pulled out of Stormont before Sinn Fein had the most seats.

Otherwise spot on.

Surprisingly quiet thread given what's happening today but I guess the usual suspects only post when there's a wind up the other lot angle. At some point the DUP should acknowledge the extent to which they messed up by first backing Brexit and then believing Boris Johnston had their best interests at heart and accept that what's on offer is likely to be as good as it's going to get for the future of Unionism. Whether they will or not...

Edited by LongTimeLurker

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Surprisingly quiet thread given what's happening today but I guess the usual suspects only post when there's a wind up the other lot angle. At some point the DUP should acknowledge the extent to which they messed up by first backing Brexit and then believing Boris Johnston had their best interests at heart and accept that what's on offer is likely to be as good as it's going to get for the future of Unionism. Whether they will or not...

Maybe the DUP are waiting until they've read it before explaining why it's completely unacceptable and an affront to democracy. 

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Maybe the DUP are waiting until they've read it before explaining why it's completely unacceptable and an affront to democracy. 

If the DUP are going to accept this they're not going to do so until after the council elections.

If they're not going to accept it you'll get your answer by the end of March.

37 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

If the DUP are going to accept this they're not going to do so until after the council elections.

If they're not going to accept it you'll get your answer by the end of March.

Serious questions Jack.  Will the Unionists ever accept a NI Assembly in which Sinn Fein is the ruling party ?  And is this question wrapped up in the current Protocol imbroglio ?

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Serious questions Jack.  Will the Unionists ever accept a NI Assembly in which Sinn Fein is the ruling party ?  And is this question wrapped up in the current Protocol imbroglio ?

There are no ruling parties at Stormont, the Executive works on a mandatory coalition between all parties eligible to hold an Executive position, and all legislation passed requires cross community support.

If you mean a Sinn Fein First Minister, I don't see why they wouldn't (accept a SF First Minister) although it would be hugely symbolic.

Plenty of councils are Sinn Fein dominated and unionists have accepted that, with a SF chairman and usually, but not always, a unionist deputy, and often rules instigated with no unionist support.

It may well be (wrapped up in the Protocol imbroglio) but the institutions were collapsed while the DUP were the biggest party and still held the First Minister position, so they must have been really reading the runes to know that SF were going to gain the most seats at the next Assembly election and collapsing the institutions after that would really look like huffing.

36 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

There are no ruling parties at Stormont, the Executive works on a mandatory coalition between all parties eligible to hold an Executive position, and all legislation passed requires cross community support.

If you mean a Sinn Fein First Minister, I don't see why they wouldn't (accept a SF First Minister) although it would be hugely symbolic.

Plenty of councils are Sinn Fein dominated and unionists have accepted that, with a SF chairman and usually, but not always, a unionist deputy, and often rules instigated with no unionist support.

It may well be (wrapped up in the Protocol imbroglio) but the institutions were collapsed while the DUP were the biggest party and still held the First Minister position, so they must have been really reading the runes to know that SF were going to gain the most seats at the next Assembly election and collapsing the institutions after that would really look like huffing.

Thank you, that is very helpful - appreciated.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I can't see that at all. They are are an utterly shamless outfit, whose default response to just about anything to stamp their feet and scream 'no' and demanding a whole load of things they simply won't get. 

At any rate, I see they're complaining already. 

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I can't see that at all. They are are an utterly shamless outfit, ...

They signed up to the St Andrews Agreement and governed with SF for many years thereafter until SF collapsed Stormont over Irish Language legislation etc. Jeffrey Donaldson and Ian Paisley Jr seem to be saying different things right now. Suspect a lot will depend on how it goes down with fleg protest types who are swing voters between the DUP and TUV.

1 minute ago, doulikefish said:

Yeah I was just laughing at the way sunak said it was if it was something great ...they have no shame 

Well there is stuff not getting across/being delayed at the moment so if that gets eased it will be a start.

I don't think even the DUP will think they can get a better deal for NI by backing the ERG and Boris fucking Johnson, especially after the last time when they were unceremoniously taken up the arse and dumped in the Irish Sea by Johnson, Frost and the rest of the swivel eyed weirdos. 

42 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

They signed up to the St Andrews Agreement and governed with SF for many years thereafter until SF collapsed Stormont over Irish Language legislation etc. Jeffrey Donaldson and Ian Paisley Jr seem to be saying different things right now. Suspect a lot will depend on how it goes down with fleg protest types who are swing voters between the DUP and TUV.

True, but they have been nothing other than obstructionist in all matters Brexit and have lived in a fantasy world with their demands. I get that they are the ones ultimately that experience whatever 'deal' is reached, but they have been fundamentally unserious in their approach to the whole thing, aided and abetted by the likes of Mark Francois. It is impossible to reconcile the things they want. 

Edited by Michael W