Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

the p.w.g.meets on thursday.i.m.o.they will agree to a west league as its the most logical sulution to the problem.any club who wishes to join that league will be allowed to do so coming in at tear 6.and if clubs decide not to join they will be allowed to stay tear 7. thats what the pyrimid is about.as clubs evolve in the structure more chances for clubs to take part will happen,clubs may decide after a season or 2 the pyrimid is not suited to their needs they will go back to their original league.if clubs wish to go senior they will.if they wish to stay junior they will.

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I can give you one - it's better for fans than going senior.

Why - what do you think would change for Linlithgow fans if they put in a late application and played in the EoS next year?

Just now, Ginaro said:

Why - what do you think would change for Linlithgow fans if they put in a late application and played in the EoS next year?

They would miss one gate against BU and the chance to romp a diminished league.

Pathetic.

19 minutes ago, gogsy said:

How many points are Lochee behind the league leaders?

How many points were Lochee behind the league winners last year?

What the hell is that all about. The league winners are there on merit, last year and whoever wins it this season. Really I could have said how many points were they behind us when we won the league ? What are you trying prove ? 

"A pyramid system can only be good and, if Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Peterhead can survive and prosper in the senior leagues, then I am confident our elite teams like Linlithgow Rose and Pollok could compete in the second or third division."  - Tom Johnston March 2005

I was looking to see who might be on the Pyramid Working Group and the first result was an article from the Herald containing the above quote http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12396614.SFA_plan_points_way_to_pyramid_system/

This March 2005 article mentions Tom Johnston & Alan McRae would be on the working group that would eventually see Junior clubs integrated into the SFA Scottish Cup in 2007-08.

Its 13 years later and these two guys are apparently still leading the discussion on an integrated pyramid. I'm sure it's all about to change any minute now :whistle

42 minutes ago, tombrown said:

the p.w.g.meets on thursday.i.m.o.they will agree to a west league as its the most logical sulution to the problem.any club who wishes to join that league will be allowed to do so coming in at tear 6.and if clubs decide not to join they will be allowed to stay tear 7. thats what the pyrimid is about.as clubs evolve in the structure more chances for clubs to take part will happen,clubs may decide after a season or 2 the pyrimid is not suited to their needs they will go back to their original league.if clubs wish to go senior they will.if they wish to stay junior they will.

Will the Juniors seek 'exclusive' membership at tier 6 ?  If so, what happens about the SoSL clubs who may wish to join? They all play at Tier 6 at present, and 3  of them (Threave, St Cuthberts & Newton Stewart) are already licensed. Also what if Glasgow Uni decides to apply - another SFA licensed club ?

Perhaps the SJFA has already decided which Super League Juniors won't be at Tier 6 in the pyramid (in year 1), to ensure a level playing field for West juniors and seniors (as above).  Very very unlikely.  Also, Tier 7 for other West Junior clubs ? Surely not. 

And for those clubs that don't want to join the pyramid, they won't be slotted in to any Tier (7, 8, or 9), because they won't haven't  committed to the pyramid. Also,  isn't a licence needed to play at Tier 6 ?  Can this be achieved for all of them in one year ?

IMO the PWG will need a number of meetings, if it is seeking an agreement between all the interested parties, and clubs.

Will the Juniors seek 'exclusive' membership at tier 6 ?  If so, what happens about the SoSL clubs who may wish to join? They all play at Tier 6 at present, and 3  of them (Threave, St Cuthberts & Newton Stewart) are already licensed. Also what if Glasgow Uni decides to apply - another SFA licensed club ?
Perhaps the SJFA has already decided which Super League Juniors won't be at Tier 6 in the pyramid (in year 1), to ensure a level playing field for West juniors and seniors (as above).  Very very unlikely.  Also, Tier 7 for other West Junior clubs ? Surely not. 
And for those clubs that don't want to join the pyramid, they won't be slotted in to any Tier (7, 8, or 9), because they won't haven't  committed to the pyramid. Also,  isn't a licence needed to play at Tier 6 ?  Can this be achieved for all of them in one year ?
IMO the PWG will need a number of meetings, if it is seeking an agreement between all the interested parties, and clubs.

My understanding is that a licence is only required from tier 5 and above.

1 hour ago, tombrown said:

Your last sentence sums it up for the PWG........

"if clubs wish to go senior, they will"..... (ie a new SFA senior league for West pyramid clubs)

and

"if clubs wish to stay junior, they will"..... (ie remain in the SJFA league)

3 minutes ago, glensmad said:

My understanding is that a licence is only required from tier 5 and above.

at present yes, but it creates a problem where clubs don't have, or don't choose to get a licence, which messes up promotion and relegation. This 'opt out'  is not permitted in the English pyramid

at present yes, but it creates a problem where clubs don't have, or don't choose to get a licence, which messes up promotion and relegation. This 'opt out'  is not permitted in the English pyramid

Yes it is. We played Shildon pre-season last year and they had just won the Northern League but knocked back promotion because they couldn't afford it.

Just now, glensmad said:

Yes it is. We played Shildon pre-season last year and they had just won the Northern League but knocked back promotion because they couldn't afford it.

And the SFA is changing the rules for the Northern League, to stop this

38 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

"A pyramid system can only be good and, if Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Peterhead can survive and prosper in the senior leagues, then I am confident our elite teams like Linlithgow Rose and Pollok could compete in the second or third division."  - Tom Johnston March 2005

I was looking to see who might be on the Pyramid Working Group and the first result was an article from the Herald containing the above quote http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12396614.SFA_plan_points_way_to_pyramid_system/

This March 2005 article mentions Tom Johnston & Alan McRae would be on the working group that would eventually see Junior clubs integrated into the SFA Scottish Cup in 2007-08.

Its 13 years later and these two guys are apparently still leading the discussion on an integrated pyramid. I'm sure it's all about to change any minute now :whistle

Those two and Ross County have had huge amounts of money pumped in by benefactors. Peterhead to a lesser degree. Elgin are nearer to a bench mark.

3 minutes ago, Robert James said:

...This 'opt out'  is not permitted in the English pyramid

Don't think that's true. Clubs have to apply to be eligible for promotion from step 7 to step 6 of nonleague in the English pyramid and given the disparity in populations between Scotland and England that's probably roughly comparable to moving from tier 6 to tier 5 at the moment in a Scottish context.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2016/Jan/17/applications-received-step-7-to-step-6

https://www.onefootballforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/step-7-promotion-candidates-with-possible-step-6-newbies-for-2017-18.13761/