Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

I'm just asking a question, what would you do? You seem very defensive of the SPFL/Brechin in this situation, it's a situation which is pretty bad for the integrity of the Pyramid.

I'm not defensive about  it, i'm forlorn in that its already over.

If I had been the SPFL I would have nominated Brechin City as Club 42 having finished bottom of SPFL2. That puts all the responsbility onto the SFA into trying to organise the HL/LL Champion in the middle of a lockdown. Which they would have failed to do in a suitable time frame.

If I had been the SPFL I would have voted for 14-10-10-10. Even though I despise the 14 team league variations even more than the 12 team with a split.

I think it’s a very difficult position. Every play-off has been cancelled. It’s an unfortunate  that due to spfl wrongly not having automatic relegation from league 2 that we find ourselves here. Had league 2 been organised like the higher league where bottom goes down and 2nd bottom has a play-off then I don’t think there would be as much anger I kelty/bora had to play-off to go up and the loser lost their chance to play club 41. then it would be an SFA issue to arrange the play-off between champions.

I'm not defensive about  it, i'm forlorn in that its already over.
If I had been the SPFL I would have nominated Brechin City as Club 42 having finished bottom of SPFL2. That puts all the responsbility onto the SFA into trying to organise the HL/LL Champion in the middle of a lockdown. Which they would have failed to do in a suitable time frame.
If I had been the SPFL I would have voted for 14-10-10-10. Even though I despise the 14 team league variations even more than the 12 team with a split.
Fair enough. In your first scenario you play the games when it's possible to do so before the start of the next season.

The SFA still have a part to play in this, but have so far said nothing.

17 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Fair enough. In your first scenario you play the games when it's possible to do so before the start of the next season.

The SFA still have a part to play in this, but have so far said nothing.

While most people seem to focus on Rule 1 (c) of the Pyramid Playoff Rules:

image.png.23b8d7edfdd60e5ff338aa4f3cd0db75.png

The SPFL will probably counter with saying that the SFA never complied with Rule III (a) & (e)

image.png.988e583091f8e1a35fdae7403c8dfb48.png

image.png.cec4e412e2848d535a4ed1c599233d49.png

To prove that the SPFL set both dates and times for the play-offs. The Lowland League fixture list.

image.png.577623ec7a3cd7e97b9ff146afb2e192.png

Which is why the SPFL should have just publicly said that Brechin City were Club 42 and have the SFA deal with the flack.

Some people on here need to read the relevant rules:

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/files/shares/SPFL Rules and Regulations 1-Jun-20 (MASTER COPY) CLEAN.pdf

The SPFL runs the Club 42 vs HL/LL winner playoff on dates and venues determined by the SPFL board and it's supposed to happen at the end of the season. The SFA only run the playoff between the HL and LL and that couldn't take place this year at the end of the season so Club 42 had noone to play against and hence kept their place. It's over, deal with it and move on.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

While most people seem to focus on Rule 1 (c) of the Pyramid Playoff Rules:

image.png.23b8d7edfdd60e5ff338aa4f3cd0db75.png

The SPFL will probably counter with saying that the SFA never complied with Rule III (a) & (e)

image.png.988e583091f8e1a35fdae7403c8dfb48.png

image.png.cec4e412e2848d535a4ed1c599233d49.png

To prove that the SPFL set both dates and times for the play-offs. The Lowland League fixture list.

image.png.577623ec7a3cd7e97b9ff146afb2e192.png

Which is why the SPFL should have just publicly said that Brechin City were Club 42 and have the SFA deal with the flack.

The SPFL declared the PO void, unilaterally and without consulation with the other 2 leagues or the SFA.  Which rule covers that?

Forget about rules, we're in the middle of an unprecedented situation and the SFA should have taken a grip of this and taken steps to explore what could be achieved, and still can.  However, we have a game lead by donkeys so it's unlikely Kelty or Brora will receive any sort of redress.

11 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

The SPFL declared the PO void, unilaterally and without consulation with the other 2 leagues or the SFA.  Which rule covers that?

It was technically breached before that. The original Scottish Football suspension was set until April 30th. The first leg of the HL/LL tie was due to be played on April 25th.

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It was technically breached before that. The original Scottish Football suspension was set until April 30th. The first leg of the HL/LL tie was due to be played on April 25th.

Yeah, the SFA suspended all football, the SPFL then declared season over rather than intention to resume.

Anyway, not Junior football and we'll just need to wait and see what if anything the court cases bring.

11 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I'm sure Kelty and Brora wont mind.

With the Premiership starting in August you could stage it end of that month using a Premier clubs facilities. I doubt L2 will start anything before October.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

You are right, but sadly there isn't the will, so the 2 clubs have to move on .

As a separate point, has anyone had any interesting feedback from the SFA's AGM,, which was held earlier today ?

Edited by Robert James

On 16/06/2020 at 15:22, Jerry Macguire said:

And instead of playing 4 matches reduce it down to 2. What's so hard about that? Keep in mind the games don't need to be played in August, not if L2 isnt due to start until October at the earliest. 

Nice to see UEFA agreed with me. 😉

You are right, but sadly there isn't the will, so the 2 clubs have to move on .
As a separate point, has anyone had any interesting feedback from the SFA's AGM,, which was held earlier today ?

Kelty don’t deserve to be in the play off they were no means a certainty to win the lowland league I feel Bonnyrigg harshly treated as much as other 2

2 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Nice to see UEFA agreed with me. 😉

The English National League are going to hold their playoff. If they can hold it between July 18-30 and the clubs cover the cost of testing, staffing and staging the games. The Guardian noted the cost of testing to be around £100k with it involving 6 teams.

On 16 June 2020 at 22:57, Burnieman said:

Yeah, the SFA suspended all football, the SPFL then declared season over rather than intention to resume.

Anyway, not Junior football and we'll just need to wait and see what if anything the court cases bring.

Big team found.

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The English National League are going to hold their playoff. If they can hold it between July 18-30 and the clubs cover the cost of testing, staffing and staging the games. The Guardian noted the cost of testing to be around £100k with it involving 6 teams.

UEFA don't do that though do they? They set up hub stadiums so that the burden isnt placed on the clubs so insuring the integrity of their tournaments.

5 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

UEFA don't do that though do they? They set up hub stadiums so that the burden isnt placed on the clubs so insuring the integrity of their tournaments.

In terms of testing UEFA don't have to worry about that. As the clubs are already doing it themselves.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

In terms of testing UEFA don't have to worry about that. As the clubs are already doing it themselves.

The point Im making is that other organisations have found solutions. The SPFL didn’t even try. No one would be complaining if the 4 organisations had come together gone through all the issues, explored possible solutions and then came to a decision for or against. The SPFL just decided no it can’t happen so that’s that. Pretty much sums up the way the game in this country is governed and also explains why it’s in such a state. If your newspaper is to believed and it’s costing £100k for 6 teams then by that logic 3 teams would have cost £50k. Who’s to say (as outlandish as I sounds) that some wealthy benefactor wouldn’t come in and cover the costs. I guess it will remain a source of frustration for many of us. At least we can all look forward to next season with hope and anticipation at least until they decide to cancel promotion for a second time. It will be interesting mind you to see what bullshit excuse they come up with next time.

Edited by Jerry Macguire

If only the ex juniors could find a rich benefactor to cover the costs of testing etc - then the clubs could concentrate on getting the grounds safe for players and fans. Hopefully the government can look after the grassroots game (more important than the spfl)  and let the big boys continue to complain. As usual in the UK things take so long to get anywhere,more concerned about the economy/money than saving lives.