Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Last week I was told there were around 20 expressions of interest received, and that wasn't entirely made-up of West Juniors either.

So where "only 25 will remain" comes from who knows. The application process hasn't even opened yet.

My own guess is that around half of the WRJFA will move, half will remain.

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

Last week I was told there were around 20 expressions of interest received, and that wasn't entirely made-up of West Juniors either.

So where "only 25 will remain" comes from who knows. The application process hasn't even opened yet.

Its the usual forum guess work chat just from another site. There's also a thread about the SPFL exanding to 4x 12 team leagues over there.

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

I think once team start actually applying you will see... Image result for stampede wilderbeest

I think that it would make quite a sweepstake/challenge to guess overall numbers and the likely club constitution of the WoSFL for the 2020/21 season at this moment in time. The situation is quite dynamic. It is very useful to get an insight and predictions from those that are more "ITK" such as BM and FWF!

Just now, Pyramidic said:

I think that it would make quite a sweepstake/challenge to guess overall numbers and the likely club constitution of the WoSFL for the 2020/21 season at this moment in time. The situation is quite dynamic. It is very useful to get an insight and predictions from those that are more "ITK" such as BM and FWF!

Well, I for one i'm quite happy to admit I know bugger all.

Guest Moomintroll
Yes, I'm sure the fact that Caersws and Tywyn Bryncrug play in a regional third tier rather than nationally is the reason that a national team containing precisely 0 players who have ever played in the Welsh league are qualifying for things.
To put this in perspective, Caersws is about the size of Muirkirk & Tywyn is probably about Maybole sized. Caersws, incidentally, have played in a UEFA Tournament & have been in the Top League down here.

3 hours ago, Che Dail said:

I agree with a lot of this - especially the point about focus - decisions on where and how to focus financial resources, coaching, facilities and time.

See this excellent article on the subject: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/08/iceland-stunning-rise-euro-2016-gylfi-sigurdsson-lars-lagerback

Snippet:

Could British football change, learn, adapt, pick apart the strands? Lennon has a bit of a laugh at this. “I don’t know. Maybe we’re just more greedy about it. There’s people back in the UK taking massive salaries for the same job they do in Iceland. People in those FAs, they’ve got massive egos and they want those high salaries. Whereas here they’re all about developing the game. So I don’t know. You’d have to see massive change. Maybe not just in football.”

Yes. The right quality coaches and facilities are very important in all of this. This is why club licencing has a role to play as these aspects are covered there.

I think that the structure of the leagues depends upon the nation concerned. Every football nation is different and should choose a framework which is best for itself. If it is economic to have "X" clubs in a "Y" tiers structure in one nation then it is, by definition, affordable. However, that structure may not work elsewhere. Horses for courses. I don't think that it has a serious impact on the success or otherwise of national teams. The coaching and facilities will have an affect.

10 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

You're more ITK than you'll admit !

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

No the Welsh Premier League is effectively a pub league tbf. Alloa when they were in League One hammered the 2nd placed Bala Town on their own patch whilst playing a shadow side.

Have you ever been to a Welsh Premier League match?

Many full time pros have come from this Pub League!

6 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
20 hours ago, craigkillie said:
Yes, I'm sure the fact that Caersws and Tywyn Bryncrug play in a regional third tier rather than nationally is the reason that a national team containing precisely 0 players who have ever played in the Welsh league are qualifying for things.

To put this in perspective, Caersws is about the size of Muirkirk & Tywyn is probably about Maybole sized. Caersws, incidentally, have played in a UEFA Tournament & have been in the Top League down here.

Tywyn is similar in population size to Auchinleck. Maybole is wee bit bigger.

11 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

I will go for:

39 WRJFA clubs
13 SoSFL clubs
2 Amateur clubs

54 clubs on the move to the WoSFL.

I will go for:

30 WRJFA clubs
2 SoSFL clubs
1 Amateur clubs

33 clubs on the move to the WoSFL.

The following season another 20 West Region clubs will have wondered why they stayed.

The season after Whitburn and Fauldhouse will join the two remaining West Region clubs and play in a Super Dooper League.

4 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

What’s the latest with the Tayside clubs? Are they still relying on the SJFA to get them in as part of the East Region? The ERJFA south of the Tay is hemorrhaging teams and Fife looks set to all leave (Tayport May be the exception). The West Juniors are announcing interest in the WOSFL and the North Juniors are having talks with NCL and HL. Are Tayside clubs doing anything at the moment or just waiting to see what happens?

Spot on !

Also, what will happen (next season) with the 4 so-called Junior 'newbies' ?

34 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

I will go for:

39 WRJFA clubs
13 SoSFL clubs
2 Amateur clubs

54 clubs on the move to the WoSFL.

19 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

I will go for:

30 WRJFA clubs
2 SoSFL clubs
1 Amateur clubs

33 clubs on the move to the WoSFL.

The following season another 20 West Region clubs will have wondered why they stayed.

The season after Whitburn and Fauldhouse will join the two remaining West Region clubs and play in a Super Dooper League.

Feck it, I'll guess as well:

12 WRJFA clubs
2 SoSFL clubs
2 EoSFL clubs (well I'm sure they might have thought of it)
1 Amateur club

17 clubs on the move to a new WoSFL which might make it awkward as a 17 team divison

The following season I do think more will follow, well at least another 10  or more will go but not less  than 10 West Region clubs. Don't think the clubs will wonder why they stayed as they and we all know why, its the fans who will be pissed off  why they stayed.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

56 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Think that it is about time this thread got back on track.

I also follow the NLM Forum.  Yesterday Prorege (normally an excellent source) said:

"Hearing today from an informed source that around 25 clubs will remain in the West Juniors next season."

Prorege had the Brechin lobbying for a boundary shift info posted before anyone else did so has some credibility. Here's the link:

https://nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/east-of-scotland-league.870/post-11487

The earlier 20+ expressions of interest number came from parkcircus. It's possible things have ballooned out from there to over 40 expressions of interest since George Fraser became the point of contact and there was coverage in the Daily Record etc. Initially it was mainly west premiership teams that were doing it, so there was still plenty of scope for more interest coming from the lower divisions.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Is SJFA the crocodiles?

Well, they might be the 20/30 wilderbeest that stay on the bank, watching the rest scarper to safety / milk & honey. And then take on the croc infested water, in reduced numbers, some point later! Will they live to tell the tale?!

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yes right now, everything is speculation.

I'm genuinely expecting, say about 10 west teams, but this really depends on who the West Junior teams are who will be moving and then can see more Junior teams might think, 'no, I'm going if they are going'.
I just want a WOS o start and I genuinely think they first to leave if only about 10 will benefit for the next few years, especially if any teams are from lower down the west region who join a new WOS. If its anywhere near 20 teams from the West then that is major damage for the juniors and if there was anything like you say 48 and 3 conference divisions then its an earlier death nail for the junior association than expected.  I can see the LL announcing the new WOS and all the teams joining and then quite  a few West Region teams contacting the LL to ask to join at the last minute like what happened in the East side a couple of years ago and yeah, there is nothing wrong with the LL and EOS accepting last minute or late entry teams into the West.

Also thinking of it, if the LL and EOS know they will have enough teams to start an WOS they need to make a statement informing everyone that a New WOS will definitely start as we all think it will but know there's it nothing concrete to say its starting, if they do this then I think it will accelerate more juniors teams thinking process of not wanting left behind..

I would anticipate that the LL will issue a statement after 29th Feb, confirming the number of clubs that have "expressed an interest". They won't however release the names of these clubs, as there has been a promise of confidentiality.  It will then be up to the clubs themselves, to issue a statement...... or not, as the case may be.

29th February !!!!    Well it is leap year.

8 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Well, they might be the 20/30 wilderbeest that stay on the bank, watching the rest scarper to safety / milk & honey. And then take on the croc infested water, in reduced numbers, some point later! Will they live to tell the tale?!

They don't even realise they are Wildebeest... for there are no mirrors on the Serengeti Plain (Billy Connolly - that sketch is magic) 😆