Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 minutes ago, surely not! said:

This. 100%. Football is a fluid thing and squads/management teams fluctuate which results in upturns and downturns in the future of the various clubs. I don’t think anyone can predict with any certainty who will succeed and who will struggle in future years. There are many clubs doing better than expected and many teams doing worse.

Talbot’s continued success at non league level this century is a huge outlier compared to most clubs, but then tucker has remained a constant so the level of change/upheaval there has been minimal compared to that of new regimes at other clubs.

Are Junior fans saying the poor showing of Whitehill Welfare in the EoS league is evidence of their superiority also of the opinion that Brechin's floundering shows League 2 is better than the Championship?

6 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Not sure Bonnyrigg have, they re-signed a lot of players of their current squad recently and they mentioned most of them had been at the club for five years. Kelty have but then again they seem to have a different squad every few months. ;)

Bonnyrigg only held on to about 12 or 13 players last season 

4 minutes ago, surely not! said:

This. 100%. Football is a fluid thing and squads/management teams fluctuate which results in upturns and downturns in the future of the various clubs. I don’t think anyone can predict with any certainty who will succeed and who will struggle in future years. There are many clubs doing better than expected and many teams doing worse.

Talbot’s continued success at non league level this century is a huge outlier compared to most clubs, but then tucker has remained a constant so the level of change/upheaval there has been minimal compared to that of new regimes at other clubs.

I wonder if they'd like arsenal or man utd if he left

34 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Unless the Juniors lose another 60 or so

127 clubs

Round 1 - 63 ties plus one bye

Round 2 - 32 ties

Round 3 - 16 ties

Round 4 - 8 ties

Round 5 - Quarter finals

This is before the complications of SFA Cup entrants that get byes in Round 1.

2 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

127 clubs

Round 1 - 63 ties plus one bye

Round 2 - 32 ties

Round 3 - 16 ties

Round 4 - 8 ties

Round 5 - Quarter finals

This is before the complications of SFA Cup entrants that get byes in Round 1.

If a round is being lost I don't think you need to give byes to those in the SFA Cup.

They all entered the Second Round this year, which is the new first round.

Serious question....
Has anybody on this forum ACTUALLY in real life spent a cold Tuesday night in Elgin ? [emoji6]
Law of averages suggests someone must have !!!!
I think we've (Queen's Park) had three of them at least. Get bevvd up and it's bearable. From my experience, anytime at Cove or Peterhead is worse and windy winter evenings at Broadwood are pretty bad.

23 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Are Junior fans saying the poor showing of Whitehill Welfare in the EoS league is evidence of their superiority also of the opinion that Brechin's floundering shows League 2 is better than the Championship?

Muck like Whitehill, Vale of Leithen, Edinburgh Uni and Dalbeattie will be replaced by former Junior teams easily over the next few seasons. Bigger clubs with better players finding their natural levels.

7 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
On 3 March 2020 at 19:51, Doonhamer1969 said:
Serious question....
Has anybody on this forum ACTUALLY in real life spent a cold Tuesday night in Elgin ? emoji6.png

I think we've (Queen's Park) had three of them at least. Get bevvd up and it's bearable. From my experience, anytime at Cove or Peterhead is worse and windy winter evenings at Broadwood are pretty bad.

Broadwood is the pits after a game if you are relying on public transport. 

The rule has been posted on here and reading that, I think that the rule technically applies to clubs resigning. But you are right that there isn't much that can be done and obviously it hasn't been enforced in the past. Also, it could lead to quite farcical situations if clubs field a team in the juniors when they don't really want to, so there is no chance this will actually be enforced.

Presumably if enough teams are leaving they could call an emergency meeting and change the rules... possibly even to simply disband the league?

I wonder if they'd like arsenal or man utd if he left

Talbot have had sustained success throughout my life under a range of managers, but I do think no matter what they do, tucker will be impossible to replace and therefore there’d be at least a drop off of some description.

Whitehill as a club made some bad decisions for a 2-3 year spell off the pitch in terms of managerial appointments, coinciding with the situation of the new teams in the east. They’ve been caught in a ‘perfect storm’ of sorts.

Crazily, I think if they’d stayed up last year they’d have been able to recruit better and would be nowhere near bottom of the league.

6 minutes ago, surely not! said:

Whitehill as a club made some bad decisions for a 2-3 year spell off the pitch in terms of managerial appointments, coinciding with the situation of the new teams in the east. They’ve been caught in a ‘perfect storm’ of sorts.

Crazily, I think if they’d stayed up last year they’d have been able to recruit better and would be nowhere near bottom of the league.

That's the point a lot of ppl have made. Dunipace as an example I'm sure gaz and g4mac would agree they were able to recruit better players in eosfl than they did in the juniors I think one of them said they only have 2 players left from junior days which I suppose would be david kane and greg macpherson

And both Kelty & Bonnyrigg have a quite different squad compared to when they last won the East Superleague.
There's very little player turnover at Bonnyrigg. Forgetting out under 20's there are 18 first team players including 2 goalkeepers. 14 of them featured in the squad that won the EoS and the same 14 (IIRC) featured in the squad that won the East Superleague in our final season.

The bulk of the squad has been signed up again on fresh 2 year deals.

3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

In  the 10 seasons prior to last season, the east appeared in 4 finals and won 1.

In the previous 10 there were 7 wins and not one final that didn't contain an east team.

So in 20 years, 8 wins and only 6 years where east teams were involved, not bad I'd say.

Again, it harks back to what I have said numerous times before in that things are cyclical with successful teams. There's no doubt that in the noughties the East were the dominant region, likewise this last decade it's been teams from the West, and especially Talbot. The fact that nobody from the East has won since 2009-10 is significant. I miss the teams from the East as we always had good days out whever we went, but the fact that they don't compete en masse now hasn't diminished the quality of the Cup, just lessened the amount of teams in it.

15 minutes ago, TFW said:

Again, it harks back to what I have said numerous times before in that things are cyclical with successful teams. There's no doubt that in the noughties the East were the dominant region, likewise this last decade it's been teams from the West, and especially Talbot. The fact that nobody from the East has won since 2009-10 is significant. I miss the teams from the East as we always had good days out whever we went, but the fact that they don't compete en masse now hasn't diminished the quality of the Cup, just lessened the amount of teams in it.

Utter rubbish! The last 16 / last 8 has long been contested by quality sides. Now it is not. To say otherwise is ridiculous. It is also dull as ditchwater to have a last 8 made up predominantly of West sides, of mixed ability. Lok have strolled into the semis. GF 15 GA 2.

Edited by cmontheloknow

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:
On 03/03/2020 at 19:51, Doonhamer1969 said:
Serious question....
Has anybody on this forum ACTUALLY in real life spent a cold Tuesday night in Elgin ? emoji6.png

Elgin fans would not enjoy a Tuesday night in New Cumnock. It's been known for players to get hypothermia there ask Glenafton's Stevie Agnew lol

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

Did the Auchinleck fans enjoy the "basically a nothing match" last night?

Having considered the above question addressed to Auchineck fans (well there are lots of them) by gogsy, and having subsequently consulted the runes***, Mystic Mac would like to make the following PREDICTION :

Talbot will resign from the West Juniors, and join the new West of Scotland (senior) League, for the following reasons : 

(1)  the club is ambitious, and it knows that the WoSL will go ahead  (despite protests from the WRJFA), whereas the WRJFL will remain lost in the ether

(2) the club realises that threats of legal action by the SJFA/WRJFA is a very bad tactic, and will result in the current annual entry by the Scottish Junior  Cup Winners, and by the 3 Champions of the Junior leagues, being withdrawn by the SFA  in 2021/22, or (given current adverse circumstances) , earlier in 2020/21

(3) the club has made a lot of money from its participation (and success) in The Scottish Cup. It doesn't want to lose this income stream

(4) the club does not want to waste its investment in buying floodlights, soon to be erected (presumably for pyramid access)

(5) the club wants to retain matches against its traditional Junior rivals, but will not run the risk of losing them, if it remains "loyal" to the grade.

(6) the club will attend the Lowland League.'s "Expressions of Interest" meeting "without commitment, at this stage". 

NOTE The above is in effect FAKE NEWS, because PREDICTIONS aren't facts, even when they are made by Mystic Mac.  But predictions do sometimes come true, and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. Time will tell ?

(*** (Oxford English Dictionary definition)  "symbols with mysterious or magical significance":

: