Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Big Henry was one of the new committee who stepped forward in the early seventies when the club needed new blood and direction. He has been there ever since. Talbot became the most successful Junior team in history and Henry has been at the helm for most of that and involved in all of it. It would be fair to say he knows a thing or two about running a successful football club. Talbot as a collective have never understood the clamour to become a senior club. To call a guy who is a total gentleman arrogant, when clearly it is quite the opposite, demonstrates who indeed are arrogant. Perhaps part of Talbot's success is knowing what they are, and indeed what they are not. Perhaps some could do with learning that lesson! 

6 hours ago, oldandround said:

Once you join the pyramid and get a licence, sure.

So thats only an extra 3 if you were all to jump next season.

However its only £3k from round one.  If there are loads of teams getting a licence, then they would reintroduce qualifying rounds, just like in the English FA cup.  Its only from the 1st round proper that the prize money would be payable.

Kinda guessed that.

3 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

Well if we're talking a rump of tinpot clubs want to keep playing for a tinpot bauble in their own wee world that's upto them, they can call it what they want.

Exactly so .

It will be interesting to see have many of the Junior clubs, who gave a negative response to the SJFA questionnaire, will stick to their views and choose to stay outside the 'senior' pyramid ?  Possibly in the North Region, or Tayside, or maybe in the South  West ?

1 hour ago, Isabel Goudie said:

Big Henry was one of the new committee who stepped forward in the early seventies when the club needed new blood and direction. He has been there ever since. Talbot became the most successful Junior team in history and Henry has been at the helm for most of that and involved in all of it. It would be fair to say he knows a thing or two about running a successful football club. Talbot as a collective have never understood the clamour to become a senior club. To call a guy who is a total gentleman arrogant, when clearly it is quite the opposite, demonstrates who indeed are arrogant. Perhaps part of Talbot's success is knowing what they are, and indeed what they are not. Perhaps some could do with learning that lesson! 

Personally, I think you’re missing the boat. The world has changed and junior football with it. The status quo isn’t an option anymore.

16 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

What is the purpose of competitive professional sport, Goudie? Why did it start and why does it continue? In almost every avenue of professional sport, clubs and invididuals want to compete at the highest level possible - sometimes that means facing a challenge and y'know, even being beaten. The pinnacle of competitive football in Scotland is the SPFL Premiership. It's where the highest wages are paid, where the best players play, where the biggest crowds pay good money to attend and where the best stadia are found. It cascades downwards from there, until you get towards the bottom of the national leagues and then it's just a big murky mess... teams that should have been relegated out years ago, teams that have well and truly outgrown their pond beneath that but unwilling and unable to escape. Financially, Junior competitions are worthless, extreme latter stages of Junior Cup excepted. Back to my orginal point about competitive professional sport. Junior clubs deny themselves access to revenue that could help sustain them OR help them go to the next level. It's a grade that collectively wishes its clubs to not get ideas above their station and wishes ill on those who dare (the cheek of it!) to look elsewhere for a means of growing their business. Knowing one's place is not really what professional sport is about - to me it is about challenging that notion, disproving it and overturning stacked odds.

The Talbot position, voting against almost inevitable change because they feel it's above them, is that not a bit like Kello or Lugar running out in the "Best Big Team in Ayrshire Cup" at Beechwood and saying to each other, "let's keep it to 5 before half-time lads" - make a game of it, FFS.

This is the first time i have commented on this subject what you have just posted sums up the juniors and scotland well said

On 20 March 2018 at 17:36, Goalie Hamish said:

Och my wee mediocre pal, if only you'd wake up and smell the heather. 

There's no Money, Money, Money in the Juniors anymore, so when the East of Scotland League comes calling asking clubs to Take a Chance on Me, they dinnae have much hesitation. It's the Name of the Game these days, and if you don't follow suit it will eventually be your Waterloo.

There ain't been money in the Juniors since the 1950s.

I have watched the juniors for over 30years from the old north and south divisions in ayrshire then the ayrshire being formed which was great to watch and was dead against the west region being formed.Up to a few years ago I still pinned for the old ayrshire league hoping it would someday return.We now find ourselves changing again .The question we ask why is there clamour for change and the answer is simple we've just now realised we as a country are stuck in the dark ages and always will be and thats why if we don't change and continue to let your scott Robertson's who's stuck in the 70s and Tom Johnstone run our game then it will continue slowly decline .

48 minutes ago, sandyboy said:

This is the first time i have commented on this subject what you have just posted sums up the juniors and scotland well said

I agree

plus....the game of football is primarily about the fans, both young and old.  And fans want to dream, however unrealistic that might be. The pyramid is far from perfect, but at least it offers the dream of new/broader horizons, in both SPFL and the Scottish Cup.  

Committees, administrators, and players, should never lose sight of this, when looking to the future.  

10 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Yeah financing is a major issue as the junior set up doesnt pay the clubs for success to reinvest in facilities with poor prize money for winning things! TJ that problem has been caused by yourself and the exec commitee. Football at all levels has moved on and yeah the product is good (at top end)  but its more than that - There is a bigger picture.

9 hours ago, Isabel Goudie said:

There is every reason to question aspects of the way Junior football has been run. However, some of the criticism levelled at TJ is OTT as he only went by the decision of member clubs, you can almost visualize the baying mob. Also the glee with which some embrace the predicted downfall of the Juniors is quite disconcerting. Comments about the Junior Cup becoming West Cup etc. Just to put some perspective, the Scottish Junior Cup an established prestigious tournament with a very proud history which the rest of non league football never had. It should be kept expanded and promoted within all the change, something that the EOSL, SOSL, LL, or HL, if only they would see, should concede and be part of. Only one aspect in the whole saga, but I feel could be make or break for the whole kit and caboodle.

The core of the Ayrshire clubs caused this to happen. Always blocking things so this was always going to happen. Yeah the prestigious cup - without a sponsor but I agree that there are cracking days in the Scottish Junior cup. Here is hoping that there is a national cup of sorts WHEN all the juniors move into the pyramid system.

5 hours ago, BoomShakalaka said:

There ground is a hole. Unless they are moving ground I am no sure how they would get it licenced !

I only read pronouncements like this as far as the first spelling mistake, and then give up. (Did I miss anything of significance?)