Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

There were flights for a while.

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2017/03/14/faroe-route-cancelled-following-poor-bookings/

Shame this never happened. If Logan survive the coronavirus maybe it could still happen sometime, maybe with some government grants from around the region.

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2016/11/23/loganair-introduces-summertime-links-to-faroe-and-manchester/

I'd have thought there could be enough interest from people looking to island hop in the summer around the North Atlantic/North Sea without taking a cruise the whole way.

Although the Faroes are one of our nearest neighbours, it's a surprisingly tough place to get to. I ended up going there maybe five or six years back...my missus had asked me to research somewhere weird to go to for a few days as we had holidays owing.

I'd initially thought of a city break somewhere in Eastern Europe, but I saw there was a random cruise going to the Faroes from Greenock of all places, stopping at Stornoway on the way up and I think Portree on the way back, with two days and a night in Torshavn.  I liked it - the only embarrassing bit was being in a cafe there and seeing some daft old boot from the boat trying to pay with UK money...I don't think she'd twigged it wasn't part of Britain she was going to.

Time to give the roof its first cut!

412534_10151031073758692_1351880868_o.jpg

Edited by Hillonearth

1 minute ago, Hillonearth said:

Although the Faroes are one of our nearest neighbours, it's a surprisingly tough place to get to. I ended up going there maybe five or six years back...my missus had asked me to research somewhere weird to go to for a few days as we had holidays owing.

I'd initially thought of a city break somewhere in Eastern Europe, but I saw there was a random cruise going to the Faroes from Greenock of all places, stopping at Stornoway on the way up and I think Portree on the way back, with two days and a night in Torshavn.  I liked it - the only embarrassing bit was being in a cafe there and seeing some daft old boot from the boat trying to pay with UK money...I don't think she'd twigged it wasn't part of Britain she was going to.

Time to give the roof it's first cut!

412534_10151031073758692_1351880868_o.jpg

Been looking at jumping on a cruise ship at Invergordon for a wee trip, maybe including the Faroes, but haven't found a way yet.

For information, Shetland's participation in North Caledonian Cup competitions has been 'occasional' during the last half a dozen  seasons.     As far as I can recall, their only success as cup winners was :

(NCL) Jock Mackay Cup 2014/15       

Quarter Final  :    Golspie Sutherland   2   Shetland   4

Semi Final        :    Alness United   0   Shetland   1

Final                    :    Thurso  0  Shetland  1 (aet)      (played at The Dammies)

47 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There were flights for a while.

These games happened from 1929 to 1990. I vaguely remember reading about the Shetland team going to Faroe on a fishing boat at one point or maybe vice versa. There have sometimes been seasonal ferry links between Lerwick, Kirkwall, Bergen and Torshavn but they don't tend to last long.

51 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

These games happened from 1929 to 1990. I vaguely remember reading about the Shetland team going to Faroe on a fishing boat at one point or maybe vice versa. There have sometimes been seasonal ferry links between Lerwick, Kirkwall, Bergen and Torshavn but they don't tend to last long.

Fascinating as this ramble through the outter islands has been, it has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

23 minutes ago, Robert James said:

General Secretary John Reilly has announced that all remaining East Region League and Cup fixtures are now cancelled.

Has a similar decision been announced (officially) about the North Region Juniors ?  

They've changed their membership to a tiered question.

•  'Null and Void' or 'Complete the Season'.

If 'Complete the Season"

• Base it on 'PPG' or 'As it stands' or 'write in suggestion'

16 hours ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

Pretty sure Shetland used to beat the Faroe Islands back in the 70s. 

A lot changed when the Faroe Islands went heavily 100% into plastic pitches. Before that it was nearly impossible to play. Add in the fantastic participation levels the Faroes now have and it's no contest.

21 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Apologies for keeping it off-topic, and the blatant plug, but you can fly direct from Edinburgh.
I've been twice, in 2016 and 2019. If everybody plays nice I might even post a tree pic.

The Mantis' Faroe Islands Football Photos Thread

10 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Apologies for keeping it off-topic, and the blatant plug, but you can fly direct from Edinburgh.
I've been twice, in 2016 and 2019. If everybody plays nice I might even post a tree pic.

The Mantis' Faroe Islands Football Photos Thread

Yeah, there's that city park in Torshavn that has some trees in a wee sheltered valley that the locals call "the forest!"  Same deal in Iceland...there are some trees here and there, but any in more exposed locations will be stunted by the weather...one of the locals up there gave me this example of Viking humour:

"What do you do if you get lost in an Icelandic forest?"

"Stand up"

24 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Yeah, there's that city park in Torshavn that has some trees in a wee sheltered valley that the locals call "the forest!"  Same deal in Iceland...there are some trees here and there, but any in more exposed locations will be stunted by the weather...one of the locals up there gave me this example of Viking humour:

"Stand up"

Iceland looks like the moon.

6 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Iceland looks like the moon.

And the whole country smells a wee bit like farts.

You notice it the minute you get out the airport - because of the level of volcanic activity, there's a distinct whiff of sulphur in the air which has you looking about you wondering if somebody's dropped one until you get used to it.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

And the whole country smells a wee bit like farts.

You notice it the minute you get out the airport - because of the level of volcanic activity, there's a distinct whiff of sulphur in the air which has you looking about you wondering if somebody's dropped one until you get used to it.

I have a pretty weak sense of smell but where I really noticed it was in the shower. Unless that was me...
But I think it's only in the bits near the active plate boundaries, and Reykjavik is one. Further east and I didn't notice it, but as you say you get used to it.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

"Stand up"

How do you tell somebody's from Iceland? Wait 10 seconds and they'll tell you.

8 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

"Stand up"

Yes  "stand up if you get lost in a forest", is a regular joke told by the tour guides. However, the Iceland Tourist Board claims that several thousand trees are planted each year, and that was in evidence when I was there recently, as compared with my previous visit, 20 years earlier. The joke will lose its meaning, once the new trees have  grown !

And it does smell  !

On 19/04/2020 at 14:19, Black Pennel said:

Go on...show us your picture of a tree.

I never get the chance to say "wid" anymore.

You should join our camera club. Some of them can argue all night about what constitutes an ugly tree.

On 19/04/2020 at 17:16, chocolateankles said:

Aye lets see the tree

Oh all right, here’s a munter

A29795C0-A92E-4922-A30D-DDC5747CD8E1.thumb.jpeg.397720a464a65b3570cef209da3e5325.jpeg

Oh, wait - was it a Faroese one you wanted? I’ll need to look a bit harder.

Edited by The Mantis