Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

23 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

There's also the additional factor of whether or not LTHV can retain their team (again). Leith Athletic ran LTHV very close in 2016-17 but then lost virtually the entire team (and I mean down to one or two players remaining - players generally went Junior or to LL) and have rebuilt this season. It doesn't mean it will happen to LTHV but another year missing out on the Lowland League when they're clearly up to the standard... you'd imagine there will be interest in them and with the reduced chances of promotion with Mussey and Bonnyrigg especially coming in...  and of course Kelty could lose the play off and still be a factor next season. I feel a bit sorry for them that it's taken so long to get Saughton sorted as they should have been up before now.

Why musselburgh over camelon or Hill on Beath.  It will depend on which secti n they are in.

Pollok 1 Spartans 1
Replay: Spartans 1 Pollok 0
Vale of Leithen 1-0 Girvan
Shotts Bon Accord 1 Edinburgh City 1
Replay Edinburgh City 4-1 Shotts Bon Accord
Lothian Thistle HV 2 Girvan 2
Replay: Girvan 2 Lothian Thistle HV 5
Lothian Thistle HV 3 Kelty Hearts 0

I am talking East of Scotland league were Spartans and Edinburgh Lowland League teams

5 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Why musselburgh over camelon or Hill on Beath.  It will depend on which secti n they are in.

Winning mentality as much as anything, teams used to winning etc.. Camelon and Haws might do very well also. Any point I was making wa smore along lines that LTHV will face a much tougher ask next year to get up, regardless.

Okay, I think we have the retrospective picture.
Surely of more interest is what happens next regarding the pyramid, for juniors in the West & North Regions, and when ? Also have the dates been set for the SJFA EGM/AGM ? "What is the future" ?

The Juniors still have 149 member clubs the future will be decided on the 16th June at the EGM/AGM

31 minutes ago, Vollyman said:

I am talking East of Scotland league were Spartans and Edinburgh Lowland League teams

That's my point. You have confused your leagues, although they were both EOS clubs at the time. EOS clubs and junior clubs have seldom met. Yet you claim it's "usually an emphatic win".

EOS clubs don't qualify automatically for the Scottish except the winner and the licensed ones. Yet you are comparing these tier 6 clubs to the elite Junior clubs when they are probably comparable to the South League Juniors.

Edited by The Mantis

1 hour ago, Auld Heid said:

Next season Bonnyrigg will dominate largely in similar fashion to kelty.

The only question relates to how competitive the other Super League sides are in relation to LTHV.

Musselburgh will sneak into the mix as probably the closest to the other Super League sides moving.

Well let's face it, the big Rose have only lost once in the Superleague this season, so it's fairly obvious to everyone they will be powerful next season as well with added incentive of a LL place, which could be 2 LL places depending on the outcome of the LL AGM.

LTHV, HoB, Camelon, Musselburgh, Haddington and Tranent will all be strong, hopefully we wont be any pushovers either.  Tynecastle may be able to strengthen on the back of their move to Meggetland and improved facilities.

11 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Well let's face it, the big Rose have only lost once in the Superleague this season, so it's fairly obvious to everyone they will be powerful next season as well with added incentive of a LL place, which could be 2 LL places depending on the outcome of the LL AGM.

LTHV, HoB, Camelon, Musselburgh, Haddington and Tranent will all be strong, hopefully we wont be any pushovers either.  Tynecastle may be able to strengthen on the back of their move to Meggetland and improved facilities.

Off topic burnieman, EOS section for this debate

1 hour ago, Auld Heid said:

100% record against EoS for ourselves.

Certainly. Lithgae can argue they have the best record of all the Junior clubs. I saw the first Dalbeattie game at Prestonfield although I think they were in the SoS at the time.

1 minute ago, The Mantis said:

Certainly. Lithgae can argue they have the best record of all the Junior clubs. I saw the first Dalbeattie game at Prestonfield although I think they were in the SoS at the time.

Yup. IIRC Lithgae have never lost to a LL, EoS or SoS team, and have only lost once to an HL team (Deveronvale in a replay - blew a two goal lead in the last five minutes up there).

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

reduced chances of promotion with Mussey and Bonnyrigg especially coming in... 

Are they signing a complete new team? They couldn't even finish above last seasons mess at Camelon, would still expect all of this seasons SuperLeague teams to be superior to Mussy nex season.

Oh those crazy West people who don't know the East!

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Yup. IIRC Lithgae have never lost to a LL, EoS or SoS team, and have only lost once to an HL team (Deveronvale in a replay - blew a two goal lead in the last five minutes up there).

And yet they wish to remain in the footballing backwaters to win baubles ahead of progression.

Sad times at Prestonfield.

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The SFA has a search function at https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-cup/archive/ where you can get results by club.

Plus the Wee Rose have beaten Fraserburgh while the Big Rose couldn't beat them when they only had 8 men ;)

5 minutes ago, drs said:

And yet they wish to remain in the footballing backwaters to win baubles ahead of progression.

Sad times at Prestonfield.

I'm so completely sick of the trolling on this thread.

Linlithgow Rose voted to join the pyramid. Right now the EoS league is an utter backwater, Kelty averaged just under 6 goals a game this season and attendances are in the dozens, so I don't blame them for wanting a more structured merge into the pyramid.

As for progression, if progression is paying £12 a game for national travel in a league of 10 clubs, no thanks. That's only progression in the minds of people who don't understand why people watch football.

7 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

The SFA has a search function at https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-cup/archive/ where you can get results by club.

Plus the Wee Rose have beaten Fraserburgh while the Big Rose couldn't beat them when they only had 8 men ;)

I didn't know about that page, thanks, that's nerd heaven!

I've been to every Rose game in the Scottish Cup except Clach away (on holiday) and Wick away (severe labyrinthitis). They're usually good occasions and it normally takes a good team to stop them. The only hiding they've taken was from a Queen of the South team that would go all the way to the final.

I'm still gutted at that Raith Rovers game, Rose hammered them for an hour but didn't take their chances. Gave away a stupid penalty and that turned the game. They really should have won it.

100% record against EoS for ourselves.

The EoS league decider could have been scripted in August. Given the schedule of LTHV over recent weeks yesterday's result could have been expected.

Next season Bonnyrigg will dominate largely in similar fashion to kelty.

The only question relates to how competitive the other Super League sides are in relation to LTHV.

Musselburgh will sneak into the mix as probably the closest to the other Super League sides moving.

Scheduling is a very loose argument. Certainly in the Juniors in recent years (and where it’s been more competitive than two teams) we’ve seen teams win leagues, cups and successfully avoid relegation playing Saturday, Monday, Wednesday through into mid June.

The Lowland League started in 2014 - City were Lowland when they beat Talbot 2-1 in 2014. It can't be denied that the formation of the Lowland League severely weakened the ESL, but the East Seniors have been weakened before - when the Edinburgh & District League broke away in 1930, when they lost clubs during the War, when they were packed with reserve teams during the disastrous geographical sections in the 1960s, and they have always bounced back. Looks like the League is in the process of bouncing back again.

35 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I'm so completely sick of the trolling on this thread.

Linlithgow Rose voted to join the pyramid. Right now the EoS league is an utter backwater, Kelty averaged just under 6 goals a game this season and attendances are in the dozens, so I don't blame them for wanting a more structured merge into the pyramid.

As for progression, if progression is paying £12 a game for national travel in a league of 10 clubs, no thanks. That's only progression in the minds of people who don't understand why people watch football.

Utterly seething that your club is going to be left behind. You clearly don't understand the meaning of "progression" either if you cant see how being part of a league structure that offers European qualification is far more progressive than an East based local league where you can visit Carnoustie or Forfar.

In the meantime enjoy that closed shop and winning those titles that are tainted by the better clubs not being there.

54 minutes ago, drs said:

Are they signing a complete new team? They couldn't even finish above last seasons mess at Camelon, would still expect all of this seasons SuperLeague teams to be superior to Mussy nex season.

Oh those crazy West people who don't know the East!

Was simply (as I have already said) basing it on any winning team tends to carry form onwards - they have added to the team that went down - the American boy and Whyte from Hibs seem to be regulars -  and have skooshed the East Premier.

I'm not saying Camelon and Haws won't do well, and I didn't. Point was more about Bonnyrigg though than listing all the new sides from Juniors coming in. I just picked Mussey because they're havig a good season in the EP.

A single year's a long time in football, I don't think we can ever judge where a team was a year ago and use that to judge where they'll be in a year's time, two years of a gap. Who knows how the sections will work out but I think they'll do ok.

Utterly seething that your club is going to be left behind. You clearly don't understand the meaning of "progression" either if you cant see how being part of a league structure that offers European qualification is far more progressive than an East based local league where you can visit Carnoustie or Forfar.
In the meantime enjoy that closed shop and winning those titles that are tainted by the better clubs not being there.

European Qualification lol get real