Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 hour ago, Vollyman said:

The East of Scotland administration cannot be compared with the SJFA, The EOSL now have 25 clubs the SJFA have 148 clubs and 3 Regions.

Indeed, although that wasnt the point I was making.   Once Junior clubs move into the Pyramid where the SFA is the governing body and the Leagues run the day-to-day business, where does that leave the SJFA? They can surely only continue to exist IF there is a significant amount of clubs who refuse to move to make it viable for the "grade" to continue as a seperate entity.

Saw a guy post that there were only 70 at the Lochee game today after a headcount, he revised it later after more appeared out of hospitalty but said it didn't break 100.

Well you know why the crowd can be 2 lower than previously.

23 minutes ago, Vollyman said:

No, there seems to be a discussion about how poor junior club gates are, just interested to find out the attendances in this wonderful EOS League.

Every club moving to the EoS have been around long enough to know what the crowds are like in the league currently. Yet its not something that's putting them off.

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Every club moving to the EoS have been around long enough to know what the crowds are like in the league currently. Yet its not something that's putting them off.

Nope not off putting at all, looking at it long term rather than the hysterical "what about the gates!" or the hysterical "but Elgin away on a Tuesday in December!" or the even more hysterical "£18 to get in!!!" and the prospects are better in the near and far future within the EoS than they are within the SJFA.

Edited by drs

1 hour ago, Vollyman said:

Apart from Kelty’s games can anyone provide the average gate at EOS League games for the season just finished?

No, but it'll be interesting to see what they're like next season with a few of the traditional big hitters moving across.

For what it's worth, any game I've been to in the EoS in the last few years, gates are broadly comparable to a lot of Junior district level games - mostly comfortably sub-100, with the odd exception like Coldstream, which I was lucky enough to visit on a blazing hot day and had maybe 130 there, and Eyemouth which I went to when it was tied in with that groundhop weekend thing and there were about 250...obviously that was very much a one-off.

For comparison, I went to Kirrie v Haddington yesterday...one of the two East Region grounds I hadn't previously visited - maybe 40 paying customers?

It's only really the university sides that have virtually no following in the EoS - otherwise it's not all that different.

Just read a great articile on a site called dugout.about the pyramid and the junior clubs joining.kelty's gm gives a statement about the clubs long term wellbeing.but west side talbot.nailed their colours firmly to the mast we are proud to be a junior club stated their chairman.it also goes on about the new west of scotland league.

Just read a great articile on a site called dugout.about the pyramid and the junior clubs joining.kelty's gm gives a statement about the clubs long term wellbeing.but west side talbot.nailed their colours firmly to the mast we are proud to be a junior club stated their chairman.it also goes on about the new west of scotland league.

This one?:-
https://www.thedugout.scot/2018/05/04/end-of-the-juniors-scottish-football-set-for-historic-change/

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

No, but it'll be interesting to see what they're like next season with a few of the traditional big hitters moving across.

For what it's worth, any game I've been to in the EoS in the last few years, gates are broadly comparable to a lot of Junior district level games - mostly comfortably sub-100, with the odd exception like Coldstream, which I was lucky enough to visit on a blazing hot day and had maybe 130 there, and Eyemouth which I went to when it was tied in with that groundhop weekend thing and there were about 250...obviously that was very much a one-off.

For comparison, I went to Kirrie v Haddington yesterday...one of the two East Region grounds I hadn't previously visited - maybe 40 paying customers?

It's only really the university sides that have virtually no following in the EoS - otherwise it's not all that different.

Not one single supporter from craigroyston at armadale yesterdaý ! 

They will be returning to eutopia league because they can't afford life in the BIG junior game .I think this is probably the reason for so many mediocre junior clubs moving .they simply can't afford to compete in scotlands premier non league grade .

5 minutes ago, daleboy1969 said:

Not one single supporter from craigroyston at armadale yesterdaý ! 

They will be returning to eutopia league because they can't afford life in the BIG junior game ...

It's Easthouses that will be returning to the EoS rather than Craigroyston.

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's Easthouses that will be returning to the EoS rather than Craigroyston.

Late application according to a player .

Travel costs given as reason for return .no mention  of fourteen grand,  club licence , playing REAL Madrid . Disabled toilets .blah blah blah .

Just simply cheaper .

3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Indeed, although that wasnt the point I was making.   Once Junior clubs move into the Pyramid where the SFA is the governing body and the Leagues run the day-to-day business, where does that leave the SJFA? They can surely only continue to exist IF there is a significant amount of clubs who refuse to move to make it viable for the "grade" to continue as a seperate entity.

Really it's the regions that do most of the organisational stuff; the SJFA only do the Junior Cup and reinstatement...

1 hour ago, stulch said:

Only thing is it paints it as rosy at camelon.  There is a lot of fans against it. I' not I think we are dping the right thing for the long term. Eosfl will get stronger as years go on.  When kelty moved I thought they'd be back but that was by looking at it as a one year thing than long term. With the help and support clubs like camelon Dunipace etc could improve it just takes time

1 hour ago, tombrown said:

1 hour ago, stulch said:

That's my article! Thanks for sharing it.

Seems to have picked up a fair bit of interest so far. I'm still amazed at how many people don't know that football exists below the SPFL...

34 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

That's my article! Thanks for sharing it.

Seems to have picked up a fair bit of interest so far. I'm still amazed at how many people don't know that football exists below the SPFL...

Where are you hearing these strong rumours about a West of Scotland league at tier 6?

https://www.thedugout.scot/2018/05/04/end-of-the-juniors-scottish-football-set-for-historic-change/

These changes have dealt a profound blow to the SJFA and Scottish junior football as a whole. We now find ourselves in a situation where the junior body is beginning negotiations with the SFA to join a pyramid it had previously rejected, while some of its member clubs look into their options should these talks ultimately fail. Strong rumours have broken over the last week that West sides, in particular, will seek to form a ‘West of Scotland’ league, working alongside the East of Scotland at tier 6, not particularly comforting news for SJFA secretary Tom Johnston as he undertakes his most important assignment yet.

1 hour ago, daleboy1969 said:

Late application according to a player .

Travel costs given as reason for return .no mention  of fourteen grand,  club licence , playing REAL Madrid . Disabled toilets .blah blah blah .

Just simply cheaper .

He probably kept it brief for fear it might encourage your guys to do the same.

"Aye, costs mate. Aw the best, cheerio".