Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

6 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So the rumours so far on late applications are:

Bo'ness United {don't believe this one personally but it keeps getting mentioned by posters like Truthteller and "Hamish the Goalie"}

Dunbar United {according to The Tin Man(?)}

Craigroyston {source one of their players according to daleboy1969}

any more?

Lot's of people have been sitting in the sun too long today by the looks of the last few pages.

The EoS appear to be confident that they are going to have to deal with late applications upto the AGM on 7th June.

Bo'ness did speak to the EoS, whether anything came of it who knows.  Dunbar would make sense given that all of a sudden they appear to have been left behind and a bit isolated by the East Lothian departures.  Craigroyston I've not heard anything, but they know the EoS having been recent members.

Still over a month to go before the EoS AGM so I guess there could still be some surprises.

5 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Lot's of people have been sitting in the sun too long today by the looks of the last few pages.

The EoS appear to be confident that they are going to have to deal with late applications upto the AGM on 7th June.

Bo'ness did speak to the EoS, whether anything came of it who knows.  Dunbar would make sense given that all of a sudden they appear to have been left behind and a bit isolated by the East Lothian departures.  Craigroyston I've not heard anything, but they know the EoS having been recent members.

Still over a month to go before the EoS AGM so I guess there could still be some surprises.

I would have thought Dunbar would have been a shoo in to join given their in the heart of the traditional EOSL heartland and as you say all the East Lothian sides have moved.

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was right in line at the far side. Even as a neutral I claimed for it. Whitburn threw it away.

Yeah they did.

Even playing against 10 men they couldnt see the game out,softish penalty at the death but 8/9 times out of 10 they will always be given !!

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

Didn't Arniston have a meeting before the EoS application deadline to discuss joining? Wonder if they might change their mind now they know who is joining. I was going to say they would have less travel in the EoS but they've had Kirriemuir, Downfield and Tayport this season - and staying Junior would see them go down to the South division anyway.

7 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Didn't Arniston have a meeting before the EoS application deadline to discuss joining? Wonder if they might change their mind now they know who is joining. I was going to say they would have less travel in the EoS but they've had Kirriemuir, Downfield and Tayport this season - and staying Junior would see them go down to the South division anyway.

There was no mention at all from Arniston about moving to the EOS on Saturday. All the talk was about their new ground.

On 04/05/2018 at 11:51, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Hang on, you’ve literally just made the argument for everything all the pro-pyramid people have been saying here for months. How can you not see that?

Not quite my friend. Some would have Junior football and it’s traditions buried. 

On 03/05/2018 at 12:34, Whitburn Vale said:

Looks like the East Region juniors are going for 3 leagues. A Super League and a Northern Premier and a Southern Premier.

Screenshot_2018-05-03-12-31-50-1.png

An important document for the East Region juniors for next season, albeit incomplete.  Very odd that a full version hasn't surfaced as yet. When is the SJFA AGM taking place ?

39 minutes ago, Isabel Goudie said:

Not quite my friend. Some would have Junior football and it’s traditions buried. 

I know you're angling, but I'll bite anyway... What traditions are distinct in junior football from senior and amateur football? In true P&B style: be very specific. Terraces, social clubs, cheap entry, 'heart of community', local pride etc aren't unique to the juniors, so think of some more. The only one I can think of is reinstatement.

6 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

I know you're angling, but I'll bite anyway... What traditions are distinct in junior football from senior and amateur football? In true P&B style: be very specific. Terraces, social clubs, cheap entry, 'heart of community', local pride etc aren't unique to the juniors, so think of some more. The only one I can think of is reinstatement.

Talbot would be running about with all those ridiculous stars around their badge for winning something that no longer exists :lol:

11 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I would have thought Dunbar would have been a shoo in to join given their in the heart of the traditional EOSL heartland and as you say all the East Lothian sides have moved.

They would have been the EL club I'd have put money on moving but apparently they are happy to stay put.  Whether that has changed in light of all the other EL clubs moving I don't know.

We'll know on Saturday if Cove Rangers beat Cowdenbeath meaning Vale of Leithen also make the drop.  That would be 27 clubs next season and  I'm sure the EoS will be keen to keep an even number upto 32 if that happens.  Kelty are as good as in the LL.

The LL are voting at their AGM to go to 2 relegation/promotion spots (likely to happen), therefore there's a big opportunity there for current Superleague clubs to "do a Kelty".  Bonnyrigg will be favourites for one of the spots of course assuming they get Licenced before 31 March 2019

Edited by Burnie_man

31 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

They would have been the EL club I'd have put money on moving but apparently they are happy to stay put.  Whether that has changed in light of all the other EL clubs moving I don't know.

We'll know on Saturday if Cove Rangers beat Cowdenbeath meaning Vale of Leithen also make the drop.  That would be 27 clubs next season and  I'm sure the EoS will be keen to keep an even number upto 32 if that happens.  Kelty are as good as in the LL.

The LL are voting at their AGM to go to 2 relegation/promotion spots (likely to happen), therefore there's a big opportunity there for current Superleague clubs to "do a Kelty".  Bonnyrigg will be favourites for one of the spots of course assuming they get Licenced before 31 March 2019

Yes if Cowdenbeath lose at home to Cove (0-0 1st leg), 27 clubs  would leave up to 5 vacancies for next season, should any other junior or amateur clubs wish to join the EoS.   Any such applications would need to be received before the  EoS AGM.

Edited by Robert James

26 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

If that means automatic promotion for one each from EoS and SoS it doesn't make a huge difference as it only takes a play off game out of the equation. And you'd think the EoS teams going forward will be much the stronger. 

2 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Yes if Cowdenbeath lose at home to Cove (0-0 1st leg), 27 clubs  would provide up to 5 vacancies for next season, should any other junior or amateur clubs wish to join the EoS.   Any such applications would need to be received before the  EoS AGM.

The EoS could however decide to limit the number of clubs to 30 for 2018/19, if it is decided to keep 2 vacancies (at Tier 6 ?) for the entry of Clydebank and Dundonald, in 2019/20. 

2 minutes ago, HTG said:

If that means automatic promotion for one each from EoS and SoS it doesn't make a huge difference as it only takes a play off game out of the equation. And you'd think the EoS teams going forward will be much the stronger. 

I think what it means is that if the LL agree 2 spots, then it's upto the EoS and SoS to decide between them how the two spots will be decided.  I doubt it would mean automatic promotion, winners of each EoS section v top 2 in SoS (if all Licenced of course) would be the most likely scenario IMO.

9 minutes ago, HTG said:

Seriously doubt that most SoS league clubs would want an automatic promotion spot to be available given the shenanigans with Wigtown last year and Threave not applying to stay in the LL when they had the ability to the year before that. Strongly suspect there would be the possibility for two to be promoted from the EoS subject to some sort of playoff in line with what Burnie_man is suggesting above. Time will tell.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

9 minutes ago, Robert James said:

The EoS could however decide to limit the number of clubs to 30 for 2018/19, if it is decided to keep 2 vacancies (at Tier 6 ?) for the entry of Clydebank and Dundonald, in 2019/20. 

Not sure there is any appetite to limit or turn away applications to enter the Pyramid.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Seriously doubt that most SoS league clubs would want an automatic promotion spot to be available given the shenanigans with Wigtown last year and Threave not applying to stay in the LL when they had the ability to the year before that. Strongly suspect there would be the possibility for two to be promoted from the EoS subject to some sort of playoff in line with what Burnie_man is suggesting above. Time will tell.

With the best will in the world "seriously doubt" isn't worth a candle if the SoS team does want to go up.  Threave could have opted out of the play off this year if they didn't fancy it. If Dalbeattie had gone down they'd be favourites to bounce right back. 

I think the EoS needs clarity that it's got 2 guaranteed promotion spots. Or one and a play off at worst. They haven't got anything like that assurance. Tier 6 is tier 6 is tier 6.