Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

3 hours ago, Jason King said:

Dunbar Statement -

APPLICATION TO EAST OF SCOTLAND LEAGUE & AGM
As announced at our final home game of the season last Saturday, we can confirm that Dunbar United have made an official application to join the East of Scotland League for the 2018/ 2019 season. We have watched with great interest over the last few months as rumors of a mass exodus of clubs in the East Region turned into a reality. We also watched in disappointment that any attempt to stop the exodus and to preserve the integrity of the current league setup seemed at best reactionary.

Junior Football is in the DNA of Dunbar United and many great memories have been made over the last 90 or so years - no more so than 57 years ago to this very day when we proudly lifted the Scottish Junior Cup at Hampden. However, securing the long term future of the club and preserving these memories was of key importance to the current committee. The EoS League looks competitive and exciting, with an extremely high standard of teams, most of which are very local to Dunbar United. Our revenue relies on the support of the local community in sponsorship, advertising and of course gate receipts on match days. Local derby days play a big part in that, and within any new Junior Football setup we would not have a single local derby. These local derbies would have been instead replaced with more trips to Fife and Dundee, with an anticipated cost in the region of £6000 per season in buses alone. Instead we intend invest a portion of this figure into an application to become a fully licensed SFA member, and work to upgrade areas of New Countess Park to meet the requirements, which will be of benefit to both the club and the wider community. We do not believe we will need substantial improvements, and our facilities will we hope be a great asset to the East of Scotland Football Association.

Most importantly we want to progress as a football club, and build on the successes that have been achieved over the last few years by the current management team and players. We now look forward with great anticipation at what lies ahead, and to making many new memories along the way. While there remains no guarantee of gaining acceptance, we can only hope that our application is looked upon favourably by the current EoS Membership.

For all supporters, season ticket holders and sponsors we ask that you join us at our AGM on Thursday 31st May @ 7pm sharp. We will be using No5. Duke Street, where as well as the usual agenda items, we will be happy to talk in more detail regarding this potential move away from the Juniors.

East Region and SJFA getting thrown under the bus there.

An excellent statement by Dunbar, which any wavering clubs should digest.  They will be a very welcome addition to the EoSL. 

3 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Not particularly subtle there...

Honest though, I would say more a had too than wanted too situation 

3 hours ago, gogsy said:

I think Peebles used a brown envelope when they sent something to Kelty earlier in the season. If it wasnt brown beforehand it certainly was afterwards.

:lol: that was class 

9 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Haud on a minute has Goudie been banned?

Yes, some on here should be ashamed of themselves 

3 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

When was this confirmed/publicised?

I’d heard they’d “done enough” to get their license,  but have never seen anything publicly confirming it 

So the plan is a 16 team joint East/West Superleague for 2019.

If thats a case then I can see a breakaway WOSL, theres no way a E/W superleague should be in the pyramid, clubs in the East would basically have two inroads and clubs in the West (most populated area in Scotland) have 0.5 routes, that whole idea just reeks of TJ being desperate to keep his job.

Not going to happen. There may be discussions, meetings and proposals but that will be it. The suggestion that enough of the West sides would agree to this is ridiculous. Why would the 50+ lower placed West sides vote in favour of this and being leapfrogged by East Superleague sides who have decided they don't fancy the established EoSFL option. Same old smoke and mirrors from TJ and yet some people still prepared to believe it may happen. ................ it won't.

13 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If thats a case then I can see a breakaway WOSL, theres no way a E/W superleague should be in the pyramid, clubs in the East would basically have two inroads and clubs in the West (most populated area in Scotland) have 0.5 routes, that whole idea just reeks of TJ being desperate to keep his job.

The feeling I get at the moment, the sense of disengagement with the current regime is sufficient that they could offer free ice cream and hookers to  clubs to join an E/W superleague and there'd be few takers - this current half-thought-through plan just sounds like an exercise to keep some people who've been in the jobs long enough in them a wee bit longer.

Fairly certain now there will be an EoS-sponsored WoSL for next season, and we'll see a similar exodus this time next year...entirely possible it'll be bigger still in terms of numbers of clubs away.

10 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Only thing coming out the West is Dunipace have left (hardly a surprise) and Clydebank saying its goodbye next year.

The west clubs have not been vocal enough imo and will be left behind 

The feeling I get at the moment, the sense of disengagement with the current regime is sufficient that they could offer free ice cream and hookers to  clubs to join an E/W superleague and there'd be few takers - this current half-thought-through plan just sounds like an exercise to keep some people who've been in the jobs long enough in them a wee bit longer.
Fairly certain now there will be an EoS-sponsored WoSL for next season, and we'll see a similar exodus this time next year...entirely possible it'll be bigger still in terms of numbers of clubs away.

For next season? Like 2018/2019? Surely theres not enough time to get that running?

5 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

The west clubs have not been vocal enough imo and will be left behind 

Valid point, Kelty won’t resemble a junior club by the time a west team reaches the Lowland League, also some Licensed East teams will have a few years of progression before the west arrives 

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

For next season? Like 2018/2019? Surely theres not enough time to get that running?

Season after. I was thinking in terms of this one being more or less over...which if you're a Maryhill fan it kinda has been since maybe September 2017 :(

1 minute ago, Tutankhamen said:

Do any of the Super League clubs in the West support a pyramid other than Clydebank?

You only need to look at the results of the survey to see there are. Anecdotally, I've heard of a good few ready to throw their hats in the ring once there's something concrete to join...I suspect these clubs are playing their cards close to their chest much as has happened in the East which is understandable given the "difficulties" they could potentially encounter should they show their hand too early.

3 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Do any of the Super League clubs in the West support a pyramid other than Clydebank?

Only four clubs said no in the survey - Auchinleck, Glenafton, Kirkintilloch, Cumnock.

There will no be any east clubs left, text from my contact tells me 4 were accepted at the nights eos meeting and anither 2 are expected to apply. Also says eos say pyramid discussion group no more forward than 6 months ago despite what sjfa claim. Bugger eh.