Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 minute ago, Ian38018 said:

I am not advocating either stance.   Just a latecomer attempting to catch up.   Surely for each new club joining the seniors the pot of lucre will be more thinly spread.   Each addition reduces the attraction.   And the more distant those lucrative later rounds of the Scottish Cup prizes will be. 

Nobody is joining for the short term benefit though, this is a long term project. There aren't going to be 5 ex Junior teams in the SPFL by 2025 - this is a move to improve the clubs and the resources and options that are open to them. Anyone moving on the basis of drawing Hibs in the Scottish is deluding themselves, this is about better grounds, youth development, progression up (and down) the pyramid, fixtures, community involvement, becoming licenced and so much more.

None of which the juniors can offer.

23 hours ago, Ian38018 said:

I am not advocating either stance.   Just a latecomer attempting to catch up.   Surely for each new club joining the seniors the pot of lucre will be more thinly spread.   Each addition reduces the attraction.   And the more distant those lucrative later rounds of the Scottish Cup prizes will be. 

Don't think your allowed to say that on here.

Just now, Ian38018 said:

There's about 90 SFA members, double the number of members, quadruple them. Its still more than what the average Junior club is going to get.

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

Ok, playing one round in the Scottish preliminaries brings in more than any Junior Cup entrant gets unless they get to the semis. The only fools are those BUSINESSES who turn down guaranteed revenue. Junior football has failed commercially and has failed in its own mission statement of developing and promoting the Junior game. The pyramid has happened and the SJFA sat, watched, smirked and was sidelined. More fool them.

Fair comment.   My point was I wonder if the payments would still be as attractive when 50 clubs compete in the Preliminary Round, as opposed to a dozen or whatever.  That pot ain't gonna be bottomless.

7 minutes ago, Ian38018 said:

There's zero evidence for that. The SFA prize money for the Scottish Cup has gone up despite the increase in members in the last decade. Its pure speculation to say it will now go down. It's a possibility of course but the number of clubs getting into R1 itself is likely to remain consistent so any increase in places will be for the preliminaries, in which case the prize money is not exactly megamoney - a few K here and there.

Edited by cmontheloknow

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There's about 90 SFA members, double the number of members, quadruple them. Its still more than what the average Junior club is going to get.

I can see the attraction there, if the sums do add up as you state.

Fair comment.   My point was I wonder if the payments would still be as attractive when 50 clubs compete in the Preliminary Round, as opposed to a dozen or whatever.  That pot ain't gonna be bottomless.

The argument would be something would be better than nothing. Your average Junior club at present gets eff all.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Extended to 31st May. A certain West Lothian club tweeting in reply "Joke" - not the East of Scotland's fault they are so popular ;)

The Rose meeting is 4th June.  Looks like they'll have to apply by 31 May then decide on 4 June if they really want to continue with it.  They'd not be the first to change their mind!

Seriously though, is anyone talking to each other here?  How would the Rose think they had time to file an application after the meeting unless they had firm knowledge of the closing date being later than 4 June?

15 minutes ago, drs said:

Nobody is joining for the short term benefit though, this is a long term project. There aren't going to be 5 ex Junior teams in the SPFL by 2025 - this is a move to improve the clubs and the resources and options that are open to them. Anyone moving on the basis of drawing Hibs in the Scottish is deluding themselves, this is about better grounds, youth development, progression up (and down) the pyramid, fixtures, community involvement, becoming licenced and so much more.

None of which the juniors can offer.

Yes, this seems to be understood by most of the East juniors (south of the Tay), but why are the West clubs not activating a WoSL pyramid feeder league ?

1 minute ago, Tutankhamen said:

The East has gone. The North, doubt anybody on here gives a toss. The most interesting part is what Pollok and the Ayrshire big guns do. The rest of the west will fall in behind them.

That what was I was thinking - if "Pollok and the Ayrshire big guns" apply to the SoS League, the subsequent tsunami of applications would lead to the SoS becoming the WoS almost by default.  Interesting Times.

That what was I was thinking - if "Pollok and the Ayrshire big guns" apply to the SoS League, the subsequent tsunami of applications would lead to the SoS becoming the WoS almost by default.  Interesting Times.

Think there's more chance of the big guns in the West starting its own league.

Clydebank have stated it's hello EoS league in a year if nothing happens in the West.

If Arniston and Penicuik are gone then you'd imagine that Newtongrange wouldn't be too far away. Really think the SJFA East have to have a more significant change of league structure next year as clubs in Lothians will end up paying a fortune in buses fees to Tayside every other week. Perhaps regionalised leagues Lothian and Fife/Tayside with play offs between the 2 winners for the overall East champion?

Love the way certain clubs managed to go from "staying a Junior club" to EoS league fanboys in six weeks. Or was it a month? 

Can see the same pantomime being played out in the West over the next year as one by one the neighbours quietly slip out the back door.

23 hours ago, Rooster20 said:

If Arniston and Penicuik are gone then you'd imagine that Newtongrange wouldn't be too far away. Really think the SJFA East have to have a more significant change of league structure next year as clubs in Lothians will end up paying a fortune in buses fees to Tayside every other week. Perhaps regionalised leagues Lothian and Fife/Tayside with play offs between the 2 winners for the overall East champion?

A few clubs left in West Lothian might look further West for a league to join.

1 hour ago, Ian38018 said:

I have taken my eye off the ball here, so the extent of these defections has surprised me.  What are the attractions?  I cannot imagine it is solely the remote possibility of duelling with the likes of Peterhead and Cowdenbeath in League Two is the driving force.  Nor the even remoter possibility of drawing a Big Lad in the early rounds of the Scottish Cup.

Are these clubs running towards something, or is it more a case of running from something?

All about the money £££££££££££££££££££££ should rename it as the greedy b*****d league