Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Unless you cut the HL down to under 14 and abolish the Cups there will be a need for midweek games, especially in a bad winter.  I'm hugely against that. Better would be some collective and central fund to help subsidise essential upgrades for the Superleague Champions. 

Then require that an agreement is in place to use another clubs ground for those few midweek games. I believe the LL has that requirement for its non floodlight clubs and they manage. Its not an insurmountable problem.

5 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Then require that an agreement is in place to use another clubs ground for those few midweek games. I believe the LL has that requirement for its non floodlight clubs and they manage. Its not an insurmountable problem.

Indeed - top two North Juniors have floodlights, Dyce and Colony Park could play at Inverurie Locos, Culter aren't far from Banks O'Dee (their ground seems to have floodlight columns on one side pointing to an adjacent pitch!), Ellon are close to Formartine, Montrose Roselea have floodlights, etc.

18 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

That might be possible as a short term solution, I think Fort had to do that for a while. I like the idea of the champions getting a set of floodlights along with the Cup though, it would fair incentivise clubs' ambition. Maybe pay it back over the years as to not piss off the HL clubs who spent their own money. A small temporary seated stand could be erected for the suits and the old codgers until there is time and money for a permanent one. BTW it's not just a few midweek games, I can't be arsed working it out but wouldn't be surprised if it was near half this year.

Edited by welshbairn

52 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Strange. In ten years of attending non-league football (Highland League and then EoS), I don't remember anyone ever mentioning Junior football, let alone their cup. And that was in the days when the final attracted real crowds.

That doesn't make any difference to the fact that the Junior Cup Final was and is, by a long, long way, the biggest non-league match in Scotland each year. I don't know how anyone could argue with something so obvious.

There have been Junior Cup finals at which the attendance exceeds the total number of spectators for the entire EoS across a whole season.

3 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

I'll put this back to you and ask what is appealing to the clubs that makes them want to stay in the junior fold. You have still never answered this.

Yes I have. Twice. I'm not wasting any more time on it.

7 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Indeed - top two North Juniors have floodlights, Dyce and Colony Park could play at Inverurie Locos, Culter aren't far from Banks O'Dee (their ground seems to have floodlight columns on one side pointing to an adjacent pitch!), Ellon are close to Formartine, Montrose Roselea have floodlights, etc.

I doubt if the Locos would relish having 2 teams chewing up their pitch after finally getting shot of Cove.

How many of the 150+ junior clubs this season had a realistic chance of getting to the final?

How many of the non-League teams in The William Hill Scottish cup have a realistic chance of winning the cup. Wishaw juniors from the lower leagues reached the semi-final

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Unless you cut the HL down to under 14 and abolish the Cups there will be a need for midweek games, especially in a bad winter.  I'm hugely against that. Better would be some collective and central fund to help subsidise essential upgrades for the Superleague Champions. One up. one down and no play offs or it would be too expensive. 

Can someone explain how the HL clubs can afford floodlights, play midweek games, and cope with worse weather and greater distances, when the so-called "Super"League teams can't?

1 hour ago, BENJI BOY said:

Still taking late applications it appears.

The point is that there's no such thing as the 31st April.

I'm sure they meant May.

1 hour ago, tombrown said:

There was 2.145 at the first play off.cove won 4 nil think that counted for a poor 2nd leg turn out.dont think iv'e seen a post which says the juniors in total are diddy teams.have seen it the other way around.why does the crowd seem that important its the football we watch is it not.

Are you sure? Because it seems unlikely that they got 2,145 for the LL v HL play off, but only 655 for the bigger play-ff to get into the SPFL.

Inanimate Carbon called Talbot, Glenafton and Cumnock diddy clubs about two or three pages back.

Of course crowd sizes matter. As a big chap once said, football without fans is nothing. In my mind, clubs who can't attract more than a few score fans shouldn't be looking down on, or lording it over, clubs who draw hundreds for an average game and thousands for a final. A bit of respect might go a long way in getting a pyramid to actually happen.

1 minute ago, Stag Nation said:

Can someone explain how the HL clubs can afford floodlights, play midweek games, and cope with worse weather and greater distances, when the so-called "Super"League teams can't?

More sponsors and a few sugar daddies mainly.

How many of the non-League teams in The William Hill Scottish cup have a realistic chance of winning the cup. Wishaw juniors from the lower leagues reached the semi-final
None at present, or indeed for the foreseeable future but clubs costs are covered and there's prize money in each and every round, compare that to the Junior Cup where many clubs lose money in it each year and there's not a sniff of prize money until the semi's.

The Junior Cups biggest issues are the delays it causes and the money it costs to take part.

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Yes I have. Twice. I'm not wasting any more time on it.

Um, really? All I can see is the usual "traditions" arguments that miss the point that they're not unique to the so-called junior game, and just underline the fact that there's no significant differences between clubs because they're just playing football.

2 minutes ago, Vollyman said:

Wishaw are =34th in West Junior pyramid - this season Cove in =43rd and last season Clyde in 41st got to the 5th round of the big Scottish Cup, in 14/15 Berwick (40th) got to the quarter-finals.

2 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Um, really? All I can see is the usual "traditions" arguments that miss the point that they're not unique to the so-called junior game, and just underline the fact that there's no significant differences between clubs because they're just playing football.

I've never mentioned tradition.

Unlike many on this thread I'm not interested in saying, and reading, the same set of words over and over and over again.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

I've never mentioned tradition.

Unlike many on this thread I'm not interested in saying, and reading, the same set of words over and over and over again.

Pot kettle mate

6 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

So, more competent?  More professional?  Maybe more "Super"?

Why have Ross County got more money than St Duffus? Higher league, bigger crowds and a Roy McGregor. Same applies to HL and Superleague with the odd exception.

Edited by welshbairn

I'll put this back to you and ask what is appealing to the clubs that makes them want to stay in the junior fold. You have still never answered this.

The SJFA had 160 member clubs at the start of the season to date around 14 have joined the pyramid. The majority of junior clubs have decided to remain Junior meantime. The SFA has made a shambles of the pyramid system one team being given the chance to join the SPFL after a play off is a joke. The system has been set up to protect the SPFL clubs

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 22:18, Burnie_man said:

I said the Pyramid was a busted flush three years ago as the EoS was in a very bad way, it was, plenty recongised it. However they proved me wrong and they turned it around and great credit to them for that. The SJFA could learn a lot but it's too late.

Now your turn, "These clubs will have to leave junior football to compete in the pyramid structure and many more clubs may follow. Therefore any planned new development in Armadale should meet the SFA criteria.Prophetic words.

Now you and your sidekick lampoon the EoS and clubs leaving to join the Pyramid. What gives?

Since you're around Vollyman, any chance of an answer?  you say this is a shambles, but it's one you seemed to recognise needed to happen only 12 months ago.