Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Sadly stalemate happens during negotiations. Particularly when there are so many variables to consider.

Having the juniors involved would be great, but only the junior clubs that want to join.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Very much hope that's what will unfold, but if something seems too good to be true...

That's the 3rd time I have said it since Saturday so be patient and wait on the announcement that will come soon.

4 hours ago, never been to scotland said:

This thread has gone to the dogs today. Has there been any actual news?

No.

I've taken a 'post-free' day off  (almost). Going around in circles on here.  Yawn (sorry).

Discussions and lobbying behind the scenes. There may be an announcement on Friday........hopefully .

I have on several occasions the full West juniors are moving and the sjfa will cease to exist and tj  will retire. 
It's what needs to happen now.
That way the West can retain its history, heritage, and identity. It can move forward as one. It would allow it to retain all its competitions and invite others to become members. It may have to reinvent itself as a separate structure from the SJFA and depending on any other clubs showing an interest then it may have to go to conference leagues for it's first season. Sticking with the SJFA will only result in further fragmentation because more and more ERSJFA clubs will leave because of the roadblock that's been put in their way. Some WRSJFA clubs will also follow suit if there's somewhere to go, leaving the rest to wither and eventually die.

What's more important?
Remaining together as one regional group of clubs and building on that, or sticking with a dying SJFA for the sake of 1 cup?

14 hours ago, Born To Run said:

All joking aside, expect to have more clarity over the next few days. 

Why is promotion from the East/South of Scotland play-off restricted to the respective league champions?

Would only the Champions of any new West feeder league to the Lowland League be eligible to be promoted i.e. if the Champion club wasn't a licenced club why shouldn't the next eligible club be promoted in stead?

At present it looks like a way to protect seemingly weaker clubs from being relegated from the Lowland League. Surely the East/South promotee would be worthy of going up even if they were as low as say 5th in their league's final table. Same principle likely to apply to any new western feeder league.

In England promotion can go down as far as the fifth place under certain circumstances and it prevents un-licenced clubs which win their league  from becoming bed-blockers.

If the NCL and North Juniors come into the Highland Pyramid surely compulsory promotion and blocking of licenced clubs wouldn't be accepted?

Edited by Dev
corrections

6 minutes ago, Dev said:

Why is promotion from the East/South of Scotland play-off restricted to the respective league champions?

When the LL pyramid playoff was first established the LL still didn't have a full complement of 16 clubs. So there wasn't much need for more than one promotion spot.

Then in the 5 seasons so far there's been a grand total of 1 LL playoff between SoS & EoS licensed champions.

There hasn't been a greater need  than that until 2018-19 which was only 18 months ago and the LL playoff has been tied up by the PWG meetings.

Any new promotion structure is likely to be restricted to just licenced league champions of tier 6 leagues.

19 minutes ago, Dev said:

Would only the Champions of any new West feeder league to the Lowland League be eligible to be promoted i.e. if the Champion club wasn't a licenced club?

At present it looks like a way to protect seemingly weaker clubs from being relegated from the Lowland League. Surely the East/South promotes would be worthy of going up even if they were as low as say 5th in their league's final table. Same principle likely to apply to any new western feeder league.

In England promotion can go down as far as the fifth place under certain circumstances and it prevents un-licenced clubs which win their league (and play-off) from becoming bed-blockers.

If the NCL a nd North Juniors come into the Highland Pyramid surely compulsory promotion and blocking of licenced clubs wouldn't be accepted?

I'd agree with that, it seems to make sense that just the highest eligible team in each league goes into the play-off, even if it's just restricted to the top 3 (so if none of the top 3 are eligible, that league doesn't provide a PO team). In that way, there should always be 3 clubs in the PO.

Edited by Marten

The other issue with Lowland relegation (as things stand) is upping to two automatic spots doesn’t change anything for the EoS, who essentially have a promotion spot for champs. The second spot would go to the SoS winners who often aren’t too keen on the idea of moving up.

Bring in a West league, let the South step down a tier and suddenly two automatic spots makes much more sense.

4 minutes ago, The Ilford Drummer said:

I hear there will be no news/ announcement/ info for quite a few weeks.

Coulddrag on a bit this.

If, as one of the Kilwinning guys claim, the WRJFA has had a dose of reality and now want to talk en-masse entry outwith the SJFA then a delay would be inevitable as surely they would be required to call an EGM to seek approval of members?

If however, the intention remains creating a WoSFL from scratch, then I'd expect an announcement from the LL this week.

6 minutes ago, Marten said:

I'd agree with that, it seems to make sense that just the highest eligible team in each league goes into the play-off, even if it's just restricted to the top 3 (so if none of the top 3 are eligible, that league doesn't provide a PO team). In that way, there should always be 3 clubs in the PO.

Why should the 3rd best team in a league be considered better than the 2nd or 3rd worst team in a league above that is less regionalised?