Worst pub in Scotland

On 25/04/2019 at 05:09, expatowner said:

In the late seventies I lived first in Easter Rd, then Albert St and was a regular in the Four In Hand and the Royal Nip across the road. George Best would use either after for training.

FTFY

16 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

Is this one of these streets of mining cottages that no longer exist like those in Glencraig and Lassodie?

All I know was that he was a coal miner and lived there between 1905 and 1922. Sligo Street certainly doesn't exist now. He died in 1951 long before I was born...

I live in the West of Glasgow so we don't really have any out & out shitholes but there a few well known "stab inns" if that counts.  I've been in some dives in the farther reaches of Ayrshire & Lanarkshire though, mainly ex-mining villages.

45 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

All I know was that he was a coal miner and lived there between 1905 and 1922. Sligo Street certainly doesn't exist now. He died in 1951 long before I was born...

Attached is a map from Circa early 1960's.

Mungall St is what is now Gagarin Way, Sligo St is one of three streets running parallel (from L to R) Beveridge St, Sligo St and Mungall St.

Sligo St is roughly where Hope St is today and Beveridge St started at the end of what is Gallagher Place.

Sligo Street.jpg

22 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Attached is a map from Circa early 1960's.

Mungall St is what is now Gagarin Way, Sligo St is one of three streets running parallel (from L to R) Beveridge St, Sligo St and Mungall St.

Sligo St is roughly where Hope St is today and Beveridge St started at the end of what is Gallagher Place.

Sligo Street.jpg

Yes. I actually checked a map from 1920ish just after my reply. There looks to be nothing remaining of the old houses. I remember reading that they were pretty grim places to stay. They had something like eight children as well. Must have been tough going. They separated and my Grandfather remarried. My mum was born in 1941 when he was 60!

2 hours ago, Taxman said:

I live in the West of Glasgow so we don't really have any out & out shitholes but there a few well known "stab inns" if that counts.  I've been in some dives in the farther reaches of Ayrshire & Lanarkshire though, mainly ex-mining villages.

Come on Taxman, name names. I'm from Lanarkshire and now in Ayrshire so share your interest!

Good thread this, btw.

24 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Not the worst, but the only pub I’ve ever been in Scotland where I felt uneasy was the Morven in Springburn. I spent half the time looking at the floor, worried I actually made eye contact with anyone.

The McGovernment?

7 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Image result for central bar cookstownImage result for central bar cookstown

Not in Scotland, and I must admit I've never been in it, but it doesn't look too inviting.

image.jpeg

Here's The Central Bar in Renton, a quaint wee village :blink: on the road between Dumbarton & Alexandria.

The building dates from the 1700's, the boozer itself was established early 1900's. There used to be about 3 pubs in Renton, pretty rough they were, only the Central remains now.

rentonwhiskey14413708451383075360.jpg.gallery.jpg

On 24/04/2019 at 22:24, Angusfifer said:

Love a so-called rough pub.

Methil v Dundee

Quarter-finals:

Tower Bar v Caws

The Brig Tavern v Polepark Bar

Purple Cat v Kelly's

Kirkland Bar v The Kettledrum

My Granny's wake was at the Purple Cat. I'd walked past loads of times as a child and always assumed it was a public toilet due to the brutalist exterior tile-work. A blocked porcelain bowl and a stench of piss would have added a bit of class and atmosphere. 

7 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Not the worst, but the only pub I’ve ever been in Scotland where I felt uneasy was the Morven in Springburn. I spent half the time looking at the floor, worried I actually made eye contact with anyone.

I was in that pub about 3 weekends ago with a guy I work with who has just moved to Springburn. The Celtic supporters bus had just appeared back from the game and they were all standing at the door of the pub taking lines of coke off their phones. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

7 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Here's The Central Bar in Renton, a quaint wee village :blink: on the road between Dumbarton & Alexandria.

The building dates from the 1700's, the boozer itself was established early 1900's. There used to be about 3 pubs in Renton, pretty rough they were, only the Central remains now.

rentonwhiskey14413708451383075360.jpg.gallery.jpg

Is it still open? Was in there once about 15 year ago and it was some place.

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I was in that pub about 3 weekends ago with a guy I work with who has just moved to Springburn. The Celtic supporters bus had just appeared back from the game and they were all standing at the door of the pub taking lines of coke off their phones. 

Is that the best time to go to the Morven?