Massive fire at high rise flats in London

I just hope that if it DOES kick off, it doesn't turn into a loot-fest. The press will concentrate on the thievery and suchlike, where the focus should remain on the slum-landlord/potential manslaughter charges that should be being pursued. The media will be looking for any chance here to turn the spotlight away from local and central govt, and onto, well, anyone else. If it can be poor people or brown, all the better.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

I just hope that if it DOES kick off, it doesn't turn into a loot-fest. The press will concentrate on the thievery and suchlike, where the focus should remain on the slum-landlord/potential manslaughter charges that should be being pursued. The media will be looking for any chance here to turn the spotlight away from local and central govt, and onto, well, anyone else. If it can be poor people or brown, all the better.

Poor brown people and all will be well in I'm all right Jack land again.

4 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

This Newsnight interview is a fucking car crash.

Just resign you hopeless fucking c**t.

Looks to me like the government are just trying to front this out. And no mention by the interviewer Emily Maitliss in that interview.. of the raw anger of bereaved people. 

It really was the BBC in  'state broadcaster' mode. In the circumstances, few awkward questions were asked.

The odd wee fuxkwit VL decides in a moment of madness to kill some people in a misjudged sense of religious obedience and the right wing piss their collective pants in a wave of "kick them out".

A right wing culture of backhanders, cronyism and disregard for others leads directly to the loss of life and the silence is deafening.

Hopefully a tragic incident like this can make people realise we need to all take a bit more care of each other to get along in this world and that there's more to life than chasing cash.

1 hour ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Id much rather see the MET grow a backbone and investigate those responsible with a view to corporate manslaughter charges.

I dont think it would stick. 

The contractors went to the letter of the law. I have heard that even then you can make a case but it is hard. The real problem is the layer or two above where the laws are made. I do not think Labour escape share of the guilt here by any stretch of the imagination but a lot of people in the current government have sat on reports or voted down amendments that could have helped. The machinery of government is grasping to hit cover up mode and find a contractor or local borough level official to pin this on. 

This goes to the 2010 2015 government as a whole. But I think public anger is way ahead of their cover up playbook. 

I was at the protest at the Town Hall for a short while today.

This city is ready to fucking explode. Hot weather coming. The Met is a breaking point with the two big terror investigations and running round with these protests. (Met, City and BTP). I think that Lammy, Corbyn, Khan and co need to get some kind of night time vigil going when people can get together, express emotions in a park where it is cool and there is nothing around for our anarchist friends to get involved with. 

Just now, dorlomin said:

I dont think it would stick. 

The contractors went to the letter of the law. I have heard that even then you can make a case but it is hard. The real problem is the layer or two above where the laws are made. I do not think Labour escape share of the guilt here by any stretch of the imagination but a lot of people in the current government have sat on reports or voted down amendments that could have helped. The machinery of government is grasping to hit cover up mode and find a contractor or local borough level official to pin this on. 

This goes to the 2010 2015 government as a whole. But I think public anger is way ahead of their cover up playbook. 

I was at the protest at the Town Hall for a short while today.

This city is ready to fucking explode. Hot weather coming. The Met is a breaking point with the two big terror investigations and running round with these protests. (Met, City and BTP). I think that Lammy, Corbyn, Khan and co need to get some kind of night time vigil going when people can get together, express emotions in a park where it is cool and there is nothing around for our anarchist friends to get involved with. 

Building regulations.

13 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The odd wee fuxkwit VL decides in a moment of madness to kill some people in a misjudged sense of religious obedience and the right wing piss their collective pants in a wave of "kick them out".

A right wing culture of backhanders, cronyism and disregard for others leads directly to the loss of life and the silence is deafening.

Hopefully a tragic incident like this can make people realise we need to all take a bit more care of each other to get along in this world and that there's more to life than chasing cash.

I agree, random attacks by psychopaths are unbelievably horrible and the damage they do to families can't be imagined but are hard to prevent. This could have easily been prevented, I don't know the facts but it seems like there have been corners cut, residents concerns ignored and the hardline austerity forced on councils has resulted in a catastrophe. People should be angry.

5 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Fucking hell. Was he trying to pass off some of the blame re the failure to fit sprinkler systems to residents? 

It came across that way, basically implying they wanted to speed it all up and install boiler systems etc. Tbh anyone representing the council was never going to have a decent interview but holy f**k that came across terrible.

Just now, Louis Litt said:

It came across that way, basically implying they wanted to speed it all up and install boiler systems etc. Tbh anyone representing the council was never going to have a decent interview but holy f**k that came across terrible.

Terrifying and equally unsurprising that he didn't have a fucking clue how many tower blocks in his area had/didn't have sprinkler systems in place. You'd think someone would be briefing these incompetent wankers before going on air, or that at least he'd consider researching something he'd surely have expected to be pressed on in a TV interview. 

1 minute ago, jupe1407 said:

Terrifying and equally unsurprising that he didn't have a fucking clue how many tower blocks in his area had/didn't have sprinkler systems in place. You'd think someone would be briefing these incompetent wankers before going on air, or that at least he'd consider researching something he'd surely have expected to be pressed on in a TV interview. 

TBF that interview was from last night's programme, and being as nobody from the Government down through the Civil Service to Councillors to Local regulators gave a f**k, the statistics would probably have been hard to get hold of.

'Not to the best of my knowledge'.

What a c**t.