Premier League 2017-2018

Quite right get it off your chest if it makes you feel better[emoji6] I've just been following them for about 15 years or so and can't find much to disagree with your post. Mostly go to northern away games and the odd home game........last weekend was most enjoyable. Most of the fans I meet accept that the so called glory days are well passed and there is no right to expect instant success due to suddenly having 50 odd thousand season ticket holders now while the owners seemingly haven't a clue how to run a big club and appoint a decent manager and give him backing required. FWIW I thought Moyes did a decent job and fulfilled what was asked of him and i'd liked to have seen him get another contract. As for the London Stadium, I actually think it's quite good when the team are playing well and the atmosphere is good. It does seem smaller and more compact than on the telly so not quite as souless as some might think. 

What/how did you end up following West Ham anyway Jimmy?

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outstanding turn of events here. Some grown up discussion has broken out. It'll never last though.

My tuppence worth.

There were a lot of poor teams in the Premier League last season, for one reason or another. For me, it's coming down to the owners pressing the panic button far too quickly on managers these days. To an extent, they are playing Football Manager now. They can hire and fire managers, buy and sell players without much consequence because of the amount of money sloshing around now. I heard some crazy figures and television money received this season by City and United. I think it was £150M each they got this season alone.

Allardyce was the correct choice for Everton from the outside looking in.  He had saved a number of clubs over the years and I think the only blemish on his reputation, pre England, was at Newcastle. He did what was asked of him, in the same style he has done for the best part of 20 years. I have no idea what anyone was actually expecting of him this season. They trusted him with £40M (ish?) in January with the Wallcott and Tosun signings and he got them to 8th, one place from a European spot. Then he is sacked. I just don't get what the club expects, the only team above them they had any real chance of being above prior to the season starting was Burnley.

Moyes did a great job with West Ham as well, I won't pretend to as much about what has happened there as I think I know about Everton, but I do run they seem to run by a bunch of charlatans and frauds who are out of touch with the fans.

Next one to go will be Conte. He's been working his ticket for a while to be fair.It's funny to see some Chelsea fans moaning about the money being thrown about by City and how they can't compete with them. Abramovitch seems to be getting a bit bored now, and given some of their recent transfers, notably Drinkwater and Berkley, they might slip away into mid table obscurity if they don't get it right, quickly this summer.

So aye, should be an interesting summer.

28 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

What/how did you end up following West Ham anyway Jimmy?

WH guy from Essex choose St Mirren as his Scottish team,(muuug), for jollies with his mates up here and joined the official Saints website forum. For some reason my son got in tow via the forum and ended up going down for games at Upton Park against Man Utd and Millwall,(yes that one), and staying with his family. Son got tickets for my birthday for us and daughter and stayed with fellow Saints fan from Romford and we now go to a few northern away games and the odd home game most seasons. WH guy brings mates to stay with us and vice versa and we met his Crystal Palace mate in a Spurs boozer by Liverpool St last sunday. Mrs Boo has been to away games but last sunday was her first at home which she enjoyed more than she thought which was pleasing. Just enjoy the whole different experience and meeting so many new like minded folk from all different backgrounds and fans of other teams.

48 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Outstanding turn of events here. Some grown up discussion has broken out. It'll never last though.

Highly unlikely but we can but hope.

If anyone didn't watch the Guardiola Special on Monday Night Football and has a means of watching it on catch-up, I'd highly recommend you do so.

The start is a bit slow with it being more in the style of an ordinary interview (mainly David Jones trying to get Guardiola to talk up the Premier League), but once Guardiola gets a hold of the "tactics board" it's fucking brilliant. 

19 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

If anyone didn't watch the Guardiola Special on Monday Night Football and has a means of watching it on catch-up, I'd highly recommend you do so.

The start is a bit slow with it being more in the style of an ordinary interview (mainly David Jones trying to get Guardiola to talk up the Premier League), but once Guardiola gets a hold of the "tactics board" it's fucking brilliant. 

God this is like a parallel universe. 

On 16/05/2018 at 13:53, The Minertaur said:

Moyes of course had a 6 year contract at Man United that would be due to end in 2019.

Since then he's managed and been sacked by United, Real Sociedad, Sunderland and West Ham. 

He resigned at Sunderland and wasn't sacked by West Ham.  His contract came to an end. He did a decent job there and leaves with his reputation starting to be repaired.  His crime was not buying into the 'ammers philosophy and not playing the West 'am way.  As well all know, it's 2018 and football is now run by cliche.

West Ham interested in Pellegrini and Benitez. Interesting. Apparently Marco Silva is on their shortlist too.

Pellegrini's going to be on some wage in China. Not going to be cheap to release him from his contract. As for Benitez, he'd be a decent choice for West Ham as well. He's apparently not an unpopular choice for Everton fans either so it'd be interesting to see if he'd consider moving to the blue half of Liverpool. Also seen Unai Emery linked to both clubs. He'd be an ambitious choice.

Also, it was 'phenomenal' that Martinez kept saying.

4 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

He resigned at Sunderland and wasn't sacked by West Ham.  His contract came to an end. He did a decent job there and leaves with his reputation starting to be repaired.  His crime was not buying into the 'ammers philosophy and not playing the West 'am way.  As well all know, it's 2018 and football is now run by cliche.

Being linked with Stoke if Lambert gets the boot.

He did a decent, though unspectacular, job at West Ham. I'd say it would still take a little while to repair his reputation after the utterly abysmal job he did at Sunderland, Sociedad and Man United.

West Ham interested in Pellegrini and Benitez. Interesting. Apparently Marco Silva is on their shortlist too.
Pellegrini's going to be on some wage in China. Not going to be cheap to release him from his contract. As for Benitez, he'd be a decent choice for West Ham as well. He's apparently not an unpopular choice for Everton fans either so it'd be interesting to see if he'd consider moving to the blue half of Liverpool. Also seen Unai Emery linked to both clubs. He'd be an ambitious choice.
Also, it was 'phenomenal' that Martinez kept saying.
Being linked with Stoke if Lambert gets the boot.

Did Benitez's family not stay on the Wirral even after he left Liverpool?

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

His crime was not buying into the 'ammers philosophy and not playing the West 'am way.  As well all know, it's 2018 and football is now run by cliche.

The last sentence reminded me of something Jermaine Jenas said the other day, regarding this modern fan view of having to be entertained. Surely if you're paying close to and above a grand for a season ticket, you should be entertained? 

As for West Ham fans not being happy about playing the "West Ham Way" as you put it, that's nonsense.

Moyes played a blinder asking the board for guarantees of upwards of £60 million to spend to get the club into the top eight. 

Gullivan won't do that, West Ham will again be around the bottom seven next year. They have five years left, then they can sell up for maximum profit. For the board it's about putting in as little as possible, before their big payday.

14 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

The last sentence reminded me of something Jermaine Jenas said the other day, regarding this modern fan view of having to be entertained. Surely if you're paying close to and above a grand for a season ticket, you should be entertained? 

i think it's a generational thing; i watch football - and always have done - as a sport, winning is the sole objective, not to entertain; i'd always consider the rest of the "day out" with my mates, being stuck in a car talking shite for hours, having a few beers - the simple fact of being on an open terrace in the sleet at leek in staffordshire on boxing day or some other idiocy - as the entertainment for the day; there's a lot of folk who consider that they've been short changed if they haven't seen a belting game of football, almost regardless of the outcome (i'm forever falling out with them about it on the rovers' message board); for my part, i could watch 'em lose 4-5 in a thrilling display of attacking flair and shocking defending from both sides, but i'd still think it was a bollocks game and a complete waste of time, as they'd lost

i think the new generation of owners feel beholden to pull the trigger if the fanbase  make it clear that they are simply not enjoying themselves, regardless of the fact that the club might be performing perfectly adequately from the purely footballing perspective; it's getting to be more about "fan engagement" and the "supporter experience" now - shite soccerball for millennial snowflakes ;)

4 hours ago, 7-2 said:

It's amazing that the Premier League thread suddenly quietened down just as the league ended. What's the chances of that happening.

Quiet ?! 

Archived