Mayweather vs. McGregor

BradHorse

13 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

If an MMA fighter gets decked by a punch then he's saved by the ref very quickly after not given 8 seconds to recover and fired back into action like a boxer.

An MMA fighter doesn't generate anywhere near the same power in his punches or commit to them like a boxer because he has to alter his stance to defend against kicks and takedowns.

10oz gloves such as Reyes with boxing tape underneath are like being hit with rocks. The padding is there to protect the boxers hands- not the opponents face

MMA fight is only stopped when the ref decides the fighter is not making any attempt to defend himself

MMA fighter regularly load up on strikes in order to finish the fight. Happens all the time.

10oz gloves...thanks for the insight.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

The big money betters will start backing Floyd over the next few days as it is buying money. His price wil shorten drastically.

Even before you get to proper big betters, I can see a lot of normal punters who would be willing to occasionally bet a couple of hundred having a dabble on Mayweather at this price. I'm of the same opinion as you but tbf, Conor still seems to be shortening even now so f**k knows.

6 hours ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Most folk/mates I've spoken to think he'll win. "If he catches him with that left" "Connors an animal" etc I was speaking to a boy outside the pub the other week that looked me in the eye and said "if Conor is getting beat he'll just give him a head kick" :lol:

Tbf it's mostly McGregor fan boys that think he'll win.

Don't forget the even more third-hand "you can never write off Conor though" tim.png

Aye because he was only marginal bookies favourite against Alvarez and in Diaz 2, he can do anything. US Open next week, if Mystic Mac fancies a bit of tennis and they let him have a go, nobody can doubt his chances.

Confirming him as the greatest ever???? When he beats mcgregor it will have absolutely no impact whatsoever on his legacy. Nobody with half a clue about boxing will regard his record as 50-0 either.

That's bollocks, think about all the bums boxers have in their first few fights.

1 hour ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Confirming him as the greatest ever???? When he beats mcgregor it will have absolutely no impact whatsoever on his legacy. Nobody with half a clue about boxing will regard his record as 50-0 either.

The problem arises if the unthinkable happens, not only will his legacy be in tatters, boxing's rep will also be in tatters.

IF McGregor does manage to spark out Mayweather - convincingly - where does that leave the sport of boxing's reputation? If a fighter from another sport can knock out one of the greatest boxers at least in the modern era, if not all time then I'd expect boxing to be a laughing stock for the 'casual' fan even if this is a complete fucking farce. McGregor has nothing to lose. Mayweather has his reputation to lose and nothing to gain.

I see it's a reference to a film, which I've never seen, and that I'm not the only person to have picked up on it. Even so, it seems a bit off to me.

Article below.

WARNING: CONTAINS ACRONYM LIKELY TO ANNOY PIE AND BOVRIL USERS...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/mayweather-mcgregor/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-betting-odds-who-will-win-a7908456.html%3famp

10 hours ago, Gaz said:

Genuinely no idea what the managers have decided is going to happen in this fight so I'm going to go with my tried-and-tested tipster:

I assume Paddy Power read/watched this post before they kicked off their controversy. Only a couple of hours in it. :lol:

The ignorance on MMA from the boxing guys on this thread really is something else. Ironically it's usually drizzled inbetween some rhetoric they're parroting about people not understanding boxing or just downright untrue statements about a sport they equally know nothing about.

What's all this 'casuals' chat about as well? Of course there's fucking casuals, it's two seperate sports coming together and one of the biggest sporting events of our lifetime. The casuals talking shit at least have an excuse - the elitist smart arses who know a lot about one of the sports talking down about the other one when they don't actually know what they're saying are way more annoying.

6 minutes ago, BradHorse said:

The ignorance on MMA from the boxing guys on this thread really is something else. Ironically it's usually drizzled inbetween some rhetoric they're parroting about people not understanding boxing or just downright untrue statements about a sport they equally know nothing about.

What's all this 'casuals' chat about as well? Of course there's fucking casuals, it's two seperate sports coming together and one of the biggest sporting events of our lifetime. The casuals talking shit at least have an excuse - the elitist smart arses who know a lot about one of the sports talking down about the other one when they don't actually know what they're saying are way more annoying.

Elaborate on this ignorance and educate us all.

Archived