Champions League 2017/18

lichtie23

He clearly meant to take him down knowing they would land awkward etc.  He's obviously hoping Salah gets injured and knows by doing it that way he's guaranteed to get away with it.  You have to remember these are the top players on the planet, they didn't get there by not being, as Andy Robertson correctly put it, a wee bit clever.  

I agree with this, but I don’t think we should be lauding them as great players for such acts as some on here appear to be happy to do.
Taking a player out does not make Ramos a great defender, it makes him a thug imo and as it sadly changed the course of the contest as a result.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bale's gets pointage for acrobatics, but it looks awkward and the connection isn't that sweet.

Zidane's is an all-round thing of grace and beauty, with the added build up while the ball is in the air - "he isn't going to hit it, is he..." while a guy is charging him down from his side.

Zidane also has better hair.

Zidane>Gallacher>Ronaldo>Bale.

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I agree with this, but I don’t think we should be lauding them as great players for such acts as some on here appear to be happy to do.
Taking a player out does not make Ramos a great defender, it makes him a thug imo and as it sadly changed the course of the contest as a result.

Imo that's absolutely top drawer defending.  He identified Salah as the major threat and dealt with it in a way he knew he'd get away with first chance he got. That's as good as defending gets.

8 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

I include your post, one of the last one's featured and therefore prominent, because of it's total irrelevance to Liverpool fucking up on Saturday and its ridiculous use as some sort of comfort blanket for you.  What have I to seethe about?  There's far too much to laugh at.

:lol: Funny it was that one. Just you laugh away :lol: 

Imo that's absolutely top drawer defending.  He identified Salah as the major threat and dealt with it in a way he knew he'd get away with first chance he got. That's as good as defending gets.

In other words the art of good defending is now to cheat and get away with it?
Sad if that’s today’s general consensus.
For me we need to clamp down on these acts much more severely than we do given the level of earnings these guys are getting.

5 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

:lol: Funny it was that one. Just you laugh away :lol: 

Yes, that one as it was the most out of place one so far as well as perfectly illustrating the Scouse hypocrisy. Do not worry. I'll be chuckling away for ages yet. You keep those smiley filled posts coming to show how much you aren't bothered. It's working a treat.

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

Yes, that one as it was the most out of place one so far as well as perfectly illustrating the Scouse hypocrisy. Do not worry. I'll be chuckling away for ages yet. You keep those smiley filled posts coming to show how much you aren't bothered. It's working a treat.

:lol: 

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

In other words the art of good defending is now to cheat and get away with it?
Sad if that’s today’s general consensus.
For me we need to clamp down on these acts much more severely than we do given the level of earnings these guys are getting.

That's been (part of) the art of good defending since defending began.

Anyone remotely surprised by Sergio Ramos’ antics the other night, have clearly never watched Sergio Ramos play football over the past 10 years. It’s what he does. His win at all cost attitude, will see him remembered as one of the most successful football players and club captains in history.

Tommy SmithImage result for souness liverpoolimage.jpeg.b0447bed0d4429b4355f22911309c747.jpeg

You must remember that over the years Liverpool have only played the beautiful game exactly by the rules and have never, ever had players that would cheat, play dirty or do anything to endanger a fellow professional, intentionally or otherwise.  No wonder their fans are upset at the culture shock of facing a Ramos style of player..

32 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

Personally stuff happens in football. No sure if he meant what happened but regardless ramos is a brilliant defender with a winning mentality. Apart from being a horrid man he was outstanding in that game and one of the world's best CB

Salah initiated the contact. The same "arms linked together" incident happens multiple times over every match. 

You can't just start banning folk every time someone gets injured. 

The fault for Liverpools collapse was not Ramos. 

Elbows nope, kicked in the balls or right hook, definitely....

Have you ever played with your back towards a defender? Regardless of level they will absolutely stick an elbow into you. It’s part and parcel of being a CB that you are a dirty b*****d. The fact that Souness was a midfielder predominantly just shows that any member of the team with that “winning” mentality will do anything to win. It shouldn’t really be discouraged.

Have you ever played with your back towards a defender? Regardless of level they will absolutely stick an elbow into you. It’s part and parcel of being a CB that you are a dirty b*****d. The fact that Souness was a midfielder predominantly just shows that any member of the team with that “winning” mentality will do anything to win. It shouldn’t really be discouraged.

I get the points being made but that’s somewhat different to deliberately taking the opponents star player completely out to win the game.

I get the points being made but that’s somewhat different to deliberately taking the opponents star player completely out to win the game.

It’s really, really not though. Even at amateur level, you’ll usually be told to go in hard on a teams’ best player. It’s nothing new.

Archived