Champions League 2017/18

lichtie23

There really isn't. We were having this debate in 2015, since then Ronaldo has gone to a different stratosphere.

'They need to win an international trophy to be considered the best ever.'

IMG_7905.jpg.94365b4a5242792e4051e47fdaad5075.jpg

'Ronaldo is a flat track bully.'

IMG_8049.thumb.jpg.a592bcaa75ea3dea02dada7756608806.jpg

'There's nothing Ronaldo can do that Messi can't.'

IMG_8050.jpg.b1a08938b7d597f010ed8abe26c2e3a4.jpg

His record since last years quarter finals in knock out games is ridiculous and surpasses anything that has ever been done previously.

Bayern away (2)

Bayern gone (3)

Atletico home (3)

Atletico away (0)

Juventus neutral (2)

PSG home (2)

PSG away (1)

Juventus away (2)

15 goals in 8 games against PSG, Bayern, Atletico and Juventus. On the biggest stage in club football. Incredible.

That season that culminated in Madrid winning the La Liga and then the Champions League in Cardiff is the best individual performance over a season from one player that I have , and likely will ever, see.

Don’t get me wrong Messi’s stats are still very good but scoring a double against Benidorm United when your team is 4-1 up is not really comparable to dragging your team, quite literally, to Champions League Glory.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aye Dil Stefano and puskas and the like never did that. He's not even the second best player in real Madrid's history.

[emoji23] You watched a lot of matches from that era aye? Or did you play with them?

Di Stefano just scored in the five consecutive European cup finals like no biggie.  Moron.

And Ronaldo has done...well, basically everything bar winning the World Cup. Even then, he’s won the Euro’s. He’s also set the most records that’ll probably stand the test of time.

Just now, SweeperDee said:

And Ronaldo has done...well, basically everything bar winning the World Cup. Even then, he’s won the Euro’s. He’s also set the most records that’ll probably stand the test of time.

Aye except score in five consecutive European cup finals like Di Stefano or average better than a goal a game his entire career like puskas.  Plus Messi actually holds more goal records and has a better ratio.  

The clown up there literally said ronaldos record surpasses anything that has been done previously.  Erm.....no it doesn't. 

If you lot want to make statements like that at least learn something about football history first.  GERD Muller and Pele (just the three world cups for him no biggie) surpass him too. You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Aye except score in five consecutive European cup finals like Di Stefano or average better than a goal a game his entire career like puskas.  Plus Messi actually holds more goal records and has a better ratio.  
The clown up there literally said ronaldos record surpasses anything that has been done previously.  Erm.....no it doesn't. 
If you lot want to make statements like that at least learn something about football history first.  GERD Muller and Pele (just the three world cups for him no biggie) surpass him too. You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I’ll go against the grain and just no longer engage you; beyond reprieve. [emoji23]

Fan boys, fan boys everywhere.

What a fucking goal it was. People tend to forget that Ronaldo actually went on a goal drought at the start/middle of the season, which makes his current stats even more remarkable.

From my point of view I still prefer Messi but honestly does it really fucking matter? They’re 2 of the best players to walk the planet and we’ve been lucky enough to see them through their peak. Joyous it’s been.

6 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Messi scores a free kick against some Spanish nobodies that the keeper should save - OMFG THE GOAT, NOBODY COMPARES.

Ronaldo single handedly completes football - We shouldn't compare them, let's just enjoy them both.

doesn't even make sense

5 hours ago, ali_91 said:

'There's nothing Ronaldo can do that Messi can't.'

IMG_8050.jpg

Your argument may have been more well respected had you not used a photo-shopped image to make your point

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

Well yes, a better indicator is how influential a player was in those successes though. Ronaldo played with a bunch of second rate diddies and dragged them to a major international trophy. What an achievement.

Ronaldo was largely poor at Euro 2016, Hungary game aside. Pepe probably had more of an influence.

Ronaldo is - quite understandably - getting all the credit and headlines today, but what a performance from Isco, a man who is at the very top of the "baller" scale along with KDB and Thiago (also scored last night). It's a shame he's rotated as often as he is at Madrid, as he's an incredible football player.

Ronaldo is an absolute phenomenon though. Regardless of your preference (and mine is Messi by a distance), imagine genuinely believing that these two aren't the two greatest players to have ever played the game. You'd have to be absolutely fucking mental. Light years ahead of anyone playing now, or that has come before them.

Can't argue with any of that Dom, i'd just like to refresh your memory to the start of that 12 month spell where after dragging his country to the final of Euro 2016 he went on to manage them to their first ever international trophy.

His management record stands at

P - 1
W - 1(AET)
D - 0
L - 0
Euros won - 1

Not only the GOAT but also the GMOAT. What a man.

Probably one of the most iconic moments of the last 100 years. The image of CR7x assuming the role of manager, although let’s be serious he picked the team and tactics from the get go, will be seared into the minds of everyone of a certain vintage, like the Berlin Wall coming down or the planes hitting the world trade centre, everyone will remember where they were when Ronaldo managed Portugal to Glory.

IMG_1522844123.356538.jpg

56 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Fan boys, fan boys everywhere.

What a fucking goal it was. People tend to forget that Ronaldo actually went on a goal drought at the start/middle of the season, which makes his current stats even more remarkable.

From my point of view I still prefer Messi but honestly does it really fucking matter? They’re 2 of the best players to walk the planet and we’ve been lucky enough to see them through their peak. Joyous it’s been.

Not really the way of modern football on the internet nowadays.  You've got to pick a favourite, and then you've got to be dismissive of anyone who thinks differently to you.

I get having a preference - mine has always been Ronaldo if I was asked, but hardly staunch - and I also get preferring or advocating one because you have an actual link to the club as a supporter.  But the lengths people go to is often, to use P+B parlance, a bit of a minter.

They're both incredible players, and even better, they're both very different players who have used different routes to get to the top.  

6 minutes ago, forameus said:

Not really the way of modern football on the internet nowadays.  You've got to pick a favourite, and then you've got to be dismissive of anyone who thinks differently to you.

I get having a preference - mine has always been Ronaldo if I was asked, but hardly staunch - and I also get preferring or advocating one because you have an actual link to the club as a supporter.  But the lengths people go to is often, to use P+B parlance, a bit of a minter.

They're both incredible players, and even better, they're both very different players who have used different routes to get to the top.  

Exactly this ^

They both have different styles too, so comparing their talents is also pretty pointless.

If I absolutely gun at my head had to choose I'd say I prefer Messi, but the good thing is I am an adult and I don't have to choose one or the other, because that is what grown adults can do.

49 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Ronaldo is - quite understandably - getting all the credit and headlines today, but what a performance from Isco, a man who is at the very top of the "baller" scale along with KDB and Thiago (also scored last night). It's a shame he's rotated as often as he is at Madrid, as he's an incredible football player.

Ronaldo is an absolute phenomenon though. Regardless of your preference (and mine is Messi by a distance), imagine genuinely believing that these two aren't the two greatest players to have ever played the game. You'd have to be absolutely fucking mental. Light years ahead of anyone playing now, or that has come before them.

First paragraph excellent, second deluded and enormously insulting to lots of great players.  For example iniesta, if you really think Ronaldo is 'light years' ahead of him or maradonna or someone you need a new sport.  If he is better it's marginal and he's certainly not more talented.

25 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

First paragraph excellent, second deluded and enormously insulting to lots of great players.  For example iniesta, if you really think Ronaldo is 'light years' ahead of him or maradonna or someone you need a new sport.  If he is better it's marginal and he's certainly not more talented.

There’s just no tangible way of comparing Ronaldo and Iniesta though. They’re both football players and that’s where the similarities end.

They both have completely different jobs on the pitch and are far superior to each other at the specific tasks they perform. You can have a preference to which one you would prefer in your team of course but it’s pretty impossible to compare players like that as they’re so different. 

Off work so off early for Anfield tonight see the buses come in and get in the ground early. 

Nowadays tend not to get as excited about games but must admit looking forward to this one tonight. 

My 10th European quarter final going back to Porto in 2001. 

Mon the Reds ! :) 

Archived