The Celtic All Seasons thread

O'Riley completes Brighton medical
Latest from Sky Sports News' Lyall Thomas and Anthony Joseph:

Celtic midfielder Matt O'Riley has completed his Brighton medical and will sign a five-year deal today.

The contract also contains an option to extend it by a further year.

The fee shatters the Scottish transfer record, with Brighton paying an initial £26m rising to £30m with add-ons. 

This surprised me I can't see Celtic paying £1.3m for left bac cover for 1 year that money down the toilet. There must be more to it

Valle set for Celtic medical
Latest from Sky Sports News' Anthony Joseph:

Barcelona left-back Alex Valle is due to undergo a medical with Celtic today.

It’s understood the clubs have agreed a season-long loan deal for the 20-year-old.

Celtic will pay a fee of around £1.3m to cover Valle’s wages.

1 minute ago, Bacchus said:

This surprised me I can't see Celtic paying £1.3m for left bac cover for 1 year that money down the toilet. There must be more to it

It’s understood the clubs have agreed a season-long loan deal for the 20-year-old.

He has a 3M release clause in his contract.

7 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

If true it's no wonder Barcelona are f**ked financially still if they are paying a guy 25 grand a week and he's never played for the first team. There's probably a fair few like him too.

10 minutes ago, stressball said:

He has a 3M release clause in his contract.

Do you think that will be the clause in his new deal? I would guess that was his clause before but he has just signed a new deal, would be strange if Barca left it so low. In Spain release clauses tend to be huge and over the top.

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

If true it's no wonder Barcelona are f**ked financially still if they are paying a guy 25 grand a week and he's never played for the first team. There's probably a fair few like him too.

Biggest basket case going. They are still producing wonder kids and many top players that are at least sellable assets. If they stopped buying/paying wages for the likes of Lewandoski, Gundogan, Cancelo, Jao Felix etc. for 1-2 years they would reset their books and be back competitive again but they keep kicking the can down the road. 

17 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Do you think that will be the clause in his new deal? I would guess that was his clause before but he has just signed a new deal, would be strange if Barca left it so low. In Spain release clauses tend to be huge and over the top.

It’s very convoluted.

Originally it was set at 60M, and if he played a first team game for Barcelona his wages were going to go up to something stupid, so they renegotiated to lower it to 3M, as they were never going to play him and didn’t want him going on a free.

2 minutes ago, stressball said:

It’s very convoluted.

Originally it was set at 60M, and if he played a first team game for Barcelona his wages were going to go up to something stupid, so they renegotiated to lower it to 3M, as they were never going to play him and didn’t want him going on a free.

Why aren't Celtic just buying him then if you are paying almost half of it to loan him for 1 year?

47 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Why aren't Celtic just buying him then if you are paying almost half of it to loan him for 1 year?

From what I’ve ascertained we are actually only covering his wages. I’d suspect the figure qouted is overall cost of the loan. 1.3M works out at 25k a week.

Edited by stressball

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

Try before you buy. As you said if we do buy next season it will cost an extra 50%. Also would we pay him £25,000 a week? Footballers it all about the money

19 minutes ago, DavieCFC said:

MOR officially away. Hope he does well at Brighton

The news just hit the ‘shareholder dividends forecast’ section of the Financial Times. 

Edited by Dons_1988

8 hours ago, AJF said:

It was Transfermarkt I was looking at which has your transfer spend as:

24/25: €15.1m

23/24: €25.86m

22/23: €38.88m

21/22: €26.47

That’s a total of €106.31m. As you mention, the Jota fee was reported on there as 17m instead of 7m, so I made a deduction and if we say €96m, then converting and rounding down to £80m, I can’t see many other fees that look like they’d be reported incorrectly.

So maybe it’s just me not being appreciative of the overall situation (you mention the striker and left back issues), but I was just surprised to see that level of abuse directed regarding the lack of transfer spend when it’s not as if Celtic have been spending a pittance.

We drag our feet every window and leave ourselves in position where we have to rush last minute deals when there is absolutely no need, the spend sometimes reflects that. We are granted Champions League so no need to wait and see if we qualify.

I read that since Rangers came back into the league we have brought in £230 + million in transfer fees which is around £150 million more than Rangers and whilst we have dominated the Scottish game we haven’t really moved forward. We are extremely cash rich to the point it’s actually pointless having those sort of cash reserves when the product on the park doesn’t match it.

I can’t justify the abuse of the guy in that manner, it’s not necessary but he should be held to account but it has to be in the right way 

58 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

We drag our feet every window and leave ourselves in position where we have to rush last minute deals when there is absolutely no need, the spend sometimes reflects that. We are granted Champions League so no need to wait and see if we qualify.

I read that since Rangers came back into the league we have brought in £230 + million in transfer fees which is around £150 million more than Rangers and whilst we have dominated the Scottish game we haven’t really moved forward. We are extremely cash rich to the point it’s actually pointless having those sort of cash reserves when the product on the park doesn’t match it.

I can’t justify the abuse of the guy in that manner, it’s not necessary but he should be held to account but it has to be in the right way 

How much do you put this on the manager M8?

On 19/06/2023 at 15:15, willywastecoat said:

Major doubt's over the transfers the rat made the first time around.

On 19/06/2023 at 15:24, willywastecoat said:

It's very hard to give him credit for any decent signings, Sinclair is the only one for me,Dembele and Ajer were already on their way.

On 19/06/2023 at 15:34, willywastecoat said:

I don't want to see fecking loan signings again.
Ange has built a very good squad just the same as Delia did, if it stagnates under the rat with false promises again we could find yourselves in a worse position again.
I like the football he wants the players to play not as direct as Ange more possession based plus his in-game management is better than Ange was.

On 19/06/2023 at 15:58, willywastecoat said:

Sorry M8 maybe I didn't make my point clear he didn't make the squad better the last time the rat was in charge, again the squad is in place this time he needs to make it better not stagnate and leave another manager to pick up the wreckage.

On 19/06/2023 at 18:41, willywastecoat said:

The rat has timed it perfectly again you could say Celtic have already hit their glass ceiling after the Ange treble, the invincble season was his first season under the rat and his glass ceiling it was down hill after that M8.
We all want Celtic to do better in Europe and continue the great work Ange has put in place, I have my doubts he can keep us at the top after he rides on the previous success.

On 19/06/2023 at 18:56, Jinky67 said:

With the level of investment he is rumoured to be being backed with he has to keep up as the top. £35 mil + potential top ups from the sales of KT and Frimpong while Rangers are fishing in the EFL free transfer pond?

For me it’s quite an exciting time, the foundation is solid, the squad is good, the money is there and this time we should be aiming as high as we can which has to be Europe

On 19/06/2023 at 20:05, willywastecoat said:

You have made good points M8, the rats best attribute is his in-game management the ability to change a game when it is going against him plus he has the squad to do that this time,this squad also has the experience of champions league football which will make them more aware to what is required at that level.
Celtic should be able to take a scalp or two next season but it's not because we appointed a rat it's because of what has been built over the last two seasons to get to this point.
My point is what can the rat do to improve that,his recruitment was fecking shockingly bad the last time around, no improvement was made and we regressed.
We also know the rat is only out for himself, left through the back door with the board taking the rewards.
The success is already been built what state is he going to leave us in this time.

A year on and Celtic have regress,St Brendan is very clever pointing the finger at the board but he has the last say in any transfer made,so for me the responsiblity is on him.

3 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Held to account for making celtic the dominant team In the last 15 years?

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Held to account for making celtic the dominant team In the last 15 years?

And what have we done since establishing that dominance other than get richer? You are the first to put the boot in when we fail in Europe, do you think what he has done to improve us in those competitions could be considered a job well done?

1 hour ago, willywastecoat said:

A year on and Celtic have regress,St Brendan is very clever pointing the finger at the board but he has the last say in any transfer made,so for me the responsiblity is on him.

Most modern managers don’t get a huge amount of say in negotiations over transfers, they mainly identify the type of player they need and recruitment team and the board do the rest. Christ I’ve even heard today we have lowballed Ausburg on Engels.

It’s becoming clearer by the day with his little quips he’s frustrated that the board aren’t bringing in who he wants, when he wants them.

Edited by Jinky67

25 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

And what have we done since establishing that dominance other than get richer? You are the first to put the boot in when we fail in Europe, do you think what he has done to improve us in those competitions could be considered a job well done?

The type of players that celtic fans want, aren't going to come to Scotland where celtic are currently about as strong as you can get and spending huge transfer fees would come with the equivalent in wages, which soon eat through celtics finances.

To compete in Europe, Scottish teams have to be in the Europa or Conference leagues and celtic fans won't tolerate not winning the league.