The Celtic All Seasons thread

10 hours ago, gannonball said:

Person clicks on a thread of a team, in a  league that they don't even play in to claim their existence is pointless. 

Life is pointless, bro, yet I keep on clicking on it. 

1 hour ago, willywastecoat said:

St Brendan is suppose to be an elite Manager yet Neil Lennon has had better results in Europe,Celtic paid £9 million for Eddy and now paid £8.5 million for Idah,where is his 2 or 3 million pound player that goes for 20 million?
Sinclair has been his best signing over two spells at Celtic yet we got nothing for him.
For me St Brendan doesn't fit the model or strategy of the club.

Lennon may have gotten better results in Europe but he was also had a spectacular failure domestically too and in the long run it’s hard to argue against that Brendan Rodgers is a better manager

And Deila had little to do with Dembele, he was well on his road out before we started doing that deal and no club is allowing the manager they are trying to push out to dictate future signings, you are allowing your dislike of Rodgers to cloud your common sense. 

But like I said modern managers have next to nothing to do with transfer fees paid, fees received or wages paid. They effectively agree a list of targets and the recruitment team do the rest. 

Edited by Jinky67

10 hours ago, stressball said:

I don’t think any of the Celtic fans on this forum fall into that bracket.

The company side of things is one of the best ran in Britain, but as you said, our football operation is bled dry. 

I might catch flak for this but Brighton, whilst a smaller club, operate our trading model at a higher level.

We continue to buy in the 1-8M market to sell on for 20M.

They’ll buy this 20M player and sell him for 80+M, whilst we never make any attempt to move further up the trading ladder.

That is due to the league they play in though, prices in the EPL and England overall are insane.

For Celtic fans I don’t really know what they expect to achieve. In my view the board could’ve spent £50/£60 million of the cash they’ve banked and that might still not be enough to compete in the Champions League, maybe not even enough to get out of this league phase. Then if you repeat that 3 times out of 5 years, for example, you run the risk of ending up like Rangers.

Selling players like MOR with millions in the bank will hurt but if you stop players from making the moves they want to make it just hurts you in the long term. If Celtic was this amazing institution that some fans think they are players wouldn’t care about the money and would just want to play for them - in the real world that’s not the case.

From the outside looking in it’s hard to have too many complaints about the board. Winning an average (I would guess) of 2/3 trophies every year for the last 20 years and X millions in the bank.

The only thing you can really moan at would be Rangers efforts in the Europa over a few seasons in the last few years and compare them to your own. However in that time period I would assume your various managers had bigger budgets than Rangers and clearly didn’t spend it wisely or set the team up correctly and you can’t really place that blame with the board.

Edited by Sortmeout

28 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Lennon may have gotten better results in Europe but he was also a spectacular failure domestically too and in the long run it’s hard to argue against  that Brendan Rodgers is a better manager.

And Deila had little to do with Dembele, he was well on his road out before we started doing that deal and no club is allowing the manager they are trying to push out to dictate future signings, you are allowing your dislike of Rodgers to cloud your common sense. 

But like I said modern managers have next to nothing to do with transfer fees received or wages paid,  They effectively agree a list of targets and the recruitment team do the rest. 

The Ajer signing was Deila's plus Deila said in an interview Dembele was his target both signed after Deila left M8.
I wasn't comparing Lennon and St Brendan on who is the best,just stating a fact that Lennon has better results in Europe when Rodgers is suppose to be an elite manager.

Edited by willywastecoat

29 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

But like I said modern managers have next to nothing to do with transfer fees paid, fees received or wages paid. They effectively agree a list of targets and the recruitment team do the rest. 

Celtic only need to get into the top 24 in the champions league for it to be a success,which would probably mean about 8 points from 8 games.
Like I said before St Brendan is being very clever by pointing the finger at the board and the dosh in the bank.
He never takes any responsiblity on the regression of the squad when every Celtic fan can see it.

1 hour ago, willywastecoat said:

Celtic only need to get into the top 24 in the champions league for it to be a success,which would probably mean about 8 points from 8 games.
Like I said before St Brendan is being very clever by pointing the finger at the board and the dosh in the bank.
He never takes any responsiblity on the regression of the squad when every Celtic fan can see it.

You could argue that Rodgers is partly responsible for the fee we just received for O’Riley then as the player he was last season was vastly improved from the seasons before so not sure that is completely accurate in all cases. O’Riley also looked a much happier player and sure he may have intimated that at points too.

Fans complain about the boards lack of spending in the transfer market. The boards first priority is to make the club financially sound. They have achieved this. 

Next have sufficient funds in the bank to see us through the lean years which will come. What are sufficient funds my guess £50-70mill but not being an expert, I could have grossly underestimated. Again, they have done this. No more will we come close to needing a Fergus McCann to rescue a distressed and forlorn Celtic Football Club from almost certain insolvency.

The next priority is to make us successful on the park in Scotland. No one can argue that they have not done this. 

It is this next step that causes great debate Success at the next level Europe. Why is it hard to attain? We are a big club in a small country with a small budget compared to a lot of European teams. Theses team have wealthy investors who plough money into them. Large amount of tv revenue. Our income, Celtic win the treble they make about £5mill in prize money. A club getting relegated from the English Premiership get a parachute payment worth around £30mill. 

What about the smaller clubs that have success. Copenhagen always gets mentioned. They finished second in their CL group. Last year they spent £13mill on players most expensive £5mill. Income from transfers almost £20mill. One player sold for £15mill.

Their success shows it is not about throwing money at players or big transfer fees it is about getting the best players possible with the budget you are given. Then the manager and coaching staff mould them into a team with the right tactics and formations, Ready to face and compete with superior teams.

Brendan has said himself it is not all right with Celtics transfer procedures, so late in the transfer window scrambling for 4-5 players. Hopefully this will get sorted out. I do tend to go on when on that soap box.

Left back in

Celtic loan Valle from Barcelona
Celtic have completed the signing of Barcelona left-back Alex Valle on a season-long loan.

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers said: "Alex has been brought up in a real high-quality footballing environment learning all the good habits and skills associated with any top team. He is a player with some tremendous attributes.

“He has performed really well for Levante last season, been around Barcelona's first team this year already and he is a welcome and quality addition to our squad.”

Celtic will pay a loan fee of around £1.3m to cover the player’s wages.  There is no option to buy clause in the deal. 

13 hours ago, willywastecoat said:

He literally said the bucks stops with him after our last Summer transfer window. His primary job though is the coaching of the team. The board however decided to employ one of their sons and their pals son to be heavily involved in recruitment and have made an arse of it. Which is why Brendan has had to rely on his own Contacts by bringing in Schmeicel and Idah.

Its quite evident you don't like Brendan but you are just blatantly making stuff up now.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

He literally said the bucks stops with him after our last Summer transfer window. His primary job though is the coaching of the team. The board however decided to employ one of their sons and their pals son to be heavily involved in recruitment and have made an arse of it. Which is why Brendan has had to rely on his own Contacts by bringing in Schmeicel and Idah.

Its quite evident you don't like Brendan but you are just blatantly making stuff up now.

He's gone from calling Rodgers "rat" to "St Brendan". Wee willie is a very funny guy.