The Celtic All Seasons thread

4 hours ago, Bobby12340 said:

Found out once again.

When will those responsible for the SPFL and Rangers/Celtic realise the current obsession with giving them as much money as possible does not work.

spread the money through the leagues and raise the overall standard-at the end of the day everyone will benefit-games will be become more competitive.

Luke McGowan has become the latest bench warmer-weaken Dundee and warm your arse for a lot of money.

How many under 21's do the old firm play every week-how many come through their academies!!

Callum McGregor the last at Parkhead to be a regular starter-15 years to bring one through,

Sums it all up-just buy abroad or weaken your rivals-see what happens!!

Perfect summary of what has been happening for years, but as we all know nothing will change as these 2 clubs only care about themselves and making as much money as possible. 

We'll still be making the same comments in 20 years time. 

Celtic and Adidas look like renewing their partnership once the current kit deal runs out at the end of 2024/25 season. During the kit deal Celtic broke into the top 20 best selling club kits generating £29mil in sales.

Personally, apart for last seasons home i've been impressed with our kits. I know they're very much a template for all these days. 

On 02/10/2024 at 13:19, Bobby12340 said:

Found out once again.

When will those responsible for the SPFL and Rangers/Celtic realise the current obsession with giving them as much money as possible does not work.

spread the money through the leagues and raise the overall standard-at the end of the day everyone will benefit-games will be become more competitive.

Luke McGowan has become the latest bench warmer-weaken Dundee and warm your arse for a lot of money.

How many under 21's do the old firm play every week-how many come through their academies!!

Callum McGregor the last at Parkhead to be a regular starter-15 years to bring one through,

Sums it all up-just buy abroad or weaken your rivals-see what happens!!

Possibly none of this is accurate.

The financial disparity has little to do with the SPFL, it’s clearly European money of which they have no say over.

Callum McGregor isn’t the last regular who came through it was Tierney who we sold for a record amount. 

It’s McCowan and I don’t think I am being disrespectful when  I say Dundee aren’t really a rival. They are trying to fund a new stadium so it’s mutually beneficial really rather than letting him wind down his contract. He isn’t exactly a young prospect either.

As for the u21s we had Vata and Kelly last season but it became clear they were getting offered more elsewhere. It’s generally only the best few that get a chance in the first team but Celtic like everyone else in Scotland are losing their best talent to teams down south. It was Doak the season before that.

Edited by gannonball

Yeah the Champions League has killed domestic football almost everywhere tbh, it's only the very elite leagues, where other incomes swallow the gap to Champions League income, that remain vaguely competitive at the top.

The only thing the SPFL could do would be to force any club earning the CL money to split it evenly amongst other clubs in the league, but that's not really fair and probably inadvertently stunts potential growth too if someone does happen to do that unexpectedly.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah the Champions League has killed domestic football almost everywhere tbh, it's only the very elite leagues, where other incomes swallow the gap to Champions League income, that remain vaguely competitive at the top.

The only thing the SPFL could do would be to force any club earning the CL money to split it evenly amongst other clubs in the league, but that's not really fair and probably inadvertently stunts potential growth too if someone does happen to do that unexpectedly.

I don’t know if they would even be allowed to do that as it’s not their money to allocate. A start would be to forfeit league prize money for any team that makes the group stages though.

13 hours ago, gannonball said:

I don’t know if they would even be allowed to do that as it’s not their money to allocate. A start would be to forfeit league prize money for any team that makes the group stages though.

That is a good idea, would it be one that would be welcomed by Celtic though?

The TV/prize money in Scotland is really small, I have always though it should be split by all 12 rather than awarding more by league position anyway. 

It would barely make a dent in Celtics finances but would be boost for the rest of the teams.

The league doesn’t want to do this. They don’t want to dilute celtics ability to compete in the champions league. 

A competitive domestic scene is secondary to (the theory goes) clubs competing at as high a level as possible in Europe, increasing the coefficient, increasing money into the game and raising profile etc etc. 

The reality of that is that 1) the leagues profile being raised significantly through European competition is pretty fanciful 2) the clubs competing are miles behind even your middling European leagues and 3) even if those clubs do compete well, all it does is further entrench a hierarchy or pecking order domestically. 

And Diddy clubs sign up to this btw, we aren’t bullied into it by the old firm. 

20 hours ago, Greenlantern said:

Celtic and Adidas look like renewing their partnership once the current kit deal runs out at the end of 2024/25 season. During the kit deal Celtic broke into the top 20 best selling club kits generating £29mil in sales.

Personally, apart for last seasons home i've been impressed with our kits. I know they're very much a template for all these days. 

As Alice Cooper almost sang..."Ignore Tuesday night and drone on about the kit, I wanna be deflected. We've got a lotta cash but in Europe we're shit, I wanna be deflected...deflected, dejected, detested, ejected....."  

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

The TV/prize money in Scotland is really small, I have always though it should be split by all 12 rather than awarding more by league position anyway. 

It would barely make a dent in Celtics finances but would be boost for the rest of the teams.

It obviously wouldn’t by our board, and a small number of other boards in Scotland I would say also so sadly would be unlikely to ever take off in a vote.

On 02/10/2024 at 17:42, paul wright scores said:

Perfect summary of what has been happening for years, but as we all know nothing will change as these 2 clubs only care about themselves and making as much money as possible. 

We'll still be making the same comments in 20 years time. 

With all due respect, every other club is the same - they act in their own best interest.

21 hours ago, gannonball said:

The financial disparity has little to do with the SPFL, it’s clearly European money of which they have no say over.

It would be interesting to see if we've made more on transfer fees than we make in Europe M8?

Edited by willywastecoat

7 hours ago, ahemps said:

It’s a boot in the arse over £4 million. How would you then split it? Equally x 10/11? 

Would 300/400k make a significant difference to the rest of the teams? I genuinely don’t know.

7 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

The league doesn’t want to do this. They don’t want to dilute celtics ability to compete in the champions league. 

A competitive domestic scene is secondary to (the theory goes) clubs competing at as high a level as possible in Europe, increasing the coefficient, increasing money into the game and raising profile etc etc. 

The reality of that is that 1) the leagues profile being raised significantly through European competition is pretty fanciful 2) the clubs competing are miles behind even your middling European leagues and 3) even if those clubs do compete well, all it does is further entrench a hierarchy or pecking order domestically. 

And Diddy clubs sign up to this btw, we aren’t bullied into it by the old firm. 

This is the worst post i've seen from you M8, the league's position in Europe will find it's pecking order as you put it plus any extra dosh coming into the league is welcome eg. the solidarity payment from uefa.
Celtic's ability to compete in Europe has feck all to do with the league.