Work colleagues

22 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Do other work places have people that request hybrid working so they can look after their dogs? Annoys the life out of me that people get pets and then want to work at home to save money. If you can’t afford dog walkers then shouldn’t get a dog IMO 

Mad Max Reaction GIF

46 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Do other work places have people that request hybrid working so they can look after their dogs? Annoys the life out of me that people get pets and then want to work at home to save money. If you can’t afford dog walkers then shouldn’t get a dog IMO 

People that go to work and leave their dog in the house all day are not being fair. If you can work from home and look after your dog then that is fine. More people working from home the less traffic there is. 

4 hours ago, Aufc said:

Yeah at my work having a dog or kid at home is an acceptable reason for hybrid working but wanting a couple of days peace a week from arsehole colleagues is not an acceptable reason.  These people choose to have kids or pets, I can't choose my colleagues. 

We're currently transitioning to fully implementing Teams and SharePoint. This is a massive change away from using shared drives and despite regular training sessions its still confusing some. One muppet has just created a meeting called "Annual Leave" and invited 3000 people! They are now on leave and no one can cancel it. The Teams chat is full of people saying "what is this meeting about?", its worse than a don't reply all to a reply all email.

7 hours ago, Swarley said:

We're currently transitioning to fully implementing Teams and SharePoint. This is a massive change away from using shared drives and despite regular training sessions its still confusing some. One muppet has just created a meeting called "Annual Leave" and invited 3000 people! They are now on leave and no one can cancel it. The Teams chat is full of people saying "what is this meeting about?", its worse than a don't reply all to a reply all email.

My work is shutting down the shared drives and moving to Sharepoint too.

Despite me and others pointing out the numerous flaws in this plan, including the near certainty of multiple data breaches on a regular basis, they're going ahead with it. The 'training' for Sharepoint is just links to Microsoft's information on the system.

Will be some laugh when Microsoft announce they're no longer supporting Sharepoint in a few years.

8 hours ago, Swarley said:

We've been in a permanent revolution for about 5 years with every single IT system we use being changed. And every new system is worse than the one that came before. 

Take annual reviews. Used to be a paper form and a meeting. Now it's managed through ERP (shudder). The guidance on how to do this in ERP is 22 pages long. 

52 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

My work is shutting down the shared drives and moving to Sharepoint too.

Despite me and others pointing out the numerous flaws in this plan, including the near certainty of multiple data breaches on a regular basis, they're going ahead with it. The 'training' for Sharepoint is just links to Microsoft's information on the system.

Will be some laugh when Microsoft announce they're no longer supporting Sharepoint in a few years.

Bring a code monkey I use .sql files everyday and of course you can't save these to SharePoint easily and you can't open them directly either. You have to go through a convoluted process of saving to one drive, then transferring to SharePoint and the reverse to open them. It's an utter pain but because they're "non standard" files no one rolling this out really thought about it. 

I work with HR data so I hear you about the possibility/probability of data breaches of sensitive data. 

17 hours ago, Aufc said:

We have one who asked for a full time job at the end of the academic year, was given one (despite having hardly any experience). She has now been given her timetable has said "So I start at 8 and finish at 4 every day. What will I do with my dogs?". 

On 14/09/2023 at 09:43, MEADOWXI said:

Do hybrid working so all have laptops that plug into docking station at desk at home or desk in office.

When I plug into the docking station I also plug the laptop into power at the same time, seems logical.

Every day the same folk about 10.30 / 11.00 that start jumping around as their laptop is suddenly at 12% power and they need to plug it in.

Just do it when you setup. 

An old boss of mine always buzzed down to our office whenever he had problems with his laptop for "one of the boys" to come up and have a look at it, whenever he had any technical issues.

One day the usual phone call came through and off went "one of the boys" who was probably about 30 at the time.

He came back in stitches - Tom had plugged his laptop into the extension lead, and then plugged the extension lead socket into the extension lead, hence his laptop losing charge and closing down.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

We have one who asked for a full time job at the end of the academic year, was given one (despite having hardly any experience). She has now been given her timetable has said "So I start at 8 and finish at 4 every day. What will I do with my dogs?". 

Wtf did she expect when asking go FY?!

48 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

An old boss of mine always buzzed down to our office whenever he had problems with his laptop for "one of the boys" to come up and have a look at it, whenever he had any technical issues.

One day the usual phone call came through and off went "one of the boys" who was probably about 30 at the time.

He came back in stitches - Tom had plugged his laptop into the extension lead, and then plugged the extension lead socket into the extension lead, hence his laptop losing charge and closing down.

😄

At least he saw the funny side!

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

We've been in a permanent revolution for about 5 years with every single IT system we use being changed. And every new system is worse than the one that came before. 

Take annual reviews. Used to be a paper form and a meeting. Now it's managed through ERP (shudder). The guidance on how to do this in ERP is 22 pages long. 

We spent ~£50m and 6 years on a bespoke version of SITS - a student records system with various modules which all fit together to cover the student 'lifecycle'. What we're getting is one SITS 'module', effectively replacing one clunky system which doesn't 'talk' to any of the other systems with a different clunky system which doesn't 'talk' to any of the other systems.

Not a single one of the folk driving this project had the decency to resign, and we're stuck with a student records system which up until a few months ago literally had the blue sky background from Windows 95.

12 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Could be worse, I believe there are comrades at Paisley who haven’t had access to their online systems for a couple of months now.

I still work from home, now that I have two kids starting to really question, aside from my own existence, working from home anymore. Only thing is my closest office is Leeds.

I used to do it as a Hybrid type thing in Glasgow where the office had these "Wellness rooms" with comfy couches, actual beds, yoga mats and other stuff. I used to think how weird is this, now I long for the day this is an option again, I'd literally get up after the morning feed and head into the office for a sleep.

On the other hand I get to have two breakfasts every day and listen to travel updates of people stuck in traffic jams, which is quite fun. 

During the first lockdown we implemented a morning social so the team could get to know each other better (we all work remotely) and have some outside social interaction rather than just those we were living with. 

It’s still going 3 years on and it is the worst 15 minutes of the day, hearing the same story from folk 3 times because one person missed it when they were off. Guys from Edinburgh talking about Man United as “we”. Worst of it is, I’m not allowed to skip it and need to suffer through this pish daily 

27 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

During the first lockdown we implemented a morning social so the team could get to know each other better (we all work remotely) and have some outside social interaction rather than just those we were living with. 

It’s still going 3 years on and it is the worst 15 minutes of the day, hearing the same story from folk 3 times because one person missed it when they were off. Guys from Edinburgh talking about Man United as “we”. Worst of it is, I’m not allowed to skip it and need to suffer through this pish daily 

Sounds horrendous. In a place I used to work they did this sort of thing on a Friday afternoon 4:30-5pm where people would sit awkwardly having a beer with people in the team and some other randoms. It was almost always more or less the same two or three people talking about their dull lives, everyone else I think were just meant to listen and enjoy this pish chat. The boss was a w**k, used to "jokingly" say attendance is mandatory or you still have to work to 5pm. To this day one of the weirdest companies I've worked for.