Work colleagues

11 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

My work have issued an email banning kettles.

They can f**k right off

You're going to have to elaborate on this, I'm afraid.

ETA: I see you have.

Edited by Jacksgranda

39 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Just overheard two colleagues discussing drinking water.

One of them reckons the advice is that you should drink 8 litres of water a day.

I believe the often quoted advice is eight GLASSES a day.

Interestingly though, I don't think there is any hard science behind this.  It's only in recent years people started swilling water at their desks or in school classrooms.   I think the first person to come up with this idea was Fereydoon Batmangheldi, an Iranian doctor who claimed most illnesses were caused by dehydration and would prescribe water for most complaints, including HIV infection.  His daughter, Camila, was the chief executive of the now defunct Kids Company, the high profile charity that collapsed following allegations of misuse of funds and exaggeration of services offered.

30 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I believe the often quoted advice is eight GLASSES a day.

Interestingly though, I don't think there is any hard science behind this.  It's only in recent years people started swilling water at their desks or in school classrooms.   I think the first person to come up with this idea was Fereydoon Batmangheldi, an Iranian doctor who claimed most illnesses were caused by dehydration and would prescribe water for most complaints, including HIV infection.  His daughter, Camila, was the chief executive of the now defunct Kids Company, the high profile charity that collapsed following allegations of misuse of funds and exaggeration of services offered.

There isnt really any science behind the 8 glasses advice. The advice now is to drink enough water to avoid becoming dehydrated because the minor effects of dehydration can include lethargy, migraine and other minor complaints that are easily avoided.

If you're dehydrated for long periods then it can start to affect kidney function or result in things like UTIs.

3 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

There isnt really any science behind the 8 glasses advice. The advice now is to drink enough water to avoid becoming dehydrated because the minor effects of dehydration can include lethargy, migraine and other minor complaints that are easily avoided.

If you're dehydrated for long periods then it can start to affect kidney function or result in things like UTIs.

The Bedouin get by in the desert  with a few wee cups of sugary tea. 

5 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Apparently the five-a-day thing is a load of crap as well. Other countries suggest a different number of fruit and vegetables per day.

56 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Apparently the five-a-day thing is a load of crap as well. Other countries suggest a different number of fruit and vegetables per day.

Did they not up it to 7 a day? And then say it should mostly vegetables as well? Thing is - they know that fruit and veg are generally good for you - as is water - but they've no idea what the optimal amount is.