The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

On 22/07/2023 at 23:11, Chris_the_rover said:

We played really well and managed to control the game, 

We had 24 shots on goal with the annan goal being totally against the run of play

Alex McCaw had a fantastic game and managed to turn the Annan left back inside out so many times he was subbed after just 17 minutes, he proceeded to throw a tantrum and stay out the changing room with the subs at half time, we gave him that many pelters his team mates were laughing and he went and got his tracksuit on and sat in the dugout himself

Completely agree with the first two points, and yes Alex McCaw was excellent in the first half. Annan were very lucky that the injury to Fernie meant McCaw had to stay back.

A bit of context about the left back, Frazer Glen. He's a teenager who couldn't get a game for Abbey Vale in the South of Scotland league last season. I've no idea what he's doing anywhere near this level of football, he was horribly out of his depth. I'm guessing he's essentially been brought in on trial and signed on an amateur basis so he can be used in games as cover until an actual footballer is brought in. That may have destroyed him mentally on Saturday.

His replacement, Ryan Muir, is another youngster who couldn't get a game last season, he was at Queen of the South. He usually plays on the right and although he fared better than Glen, he still struggled against McCaw.

Rovers were impressive, Annan were shocking and badly need some signings. Yes they had injuries and players out of position, but on Saturday's evidence both teams could be in the same league again next season.

• 2 weeks later...

Has dropping down into the LL made any difference attendance wise?

Remember reading other teams saying there was regulars who never came back once they were relegated out the League into non League.

Would it really make any difference to the Albion Rovers fan base what League you're in?

4 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Remember reading other teams saying there was regulars who never came back once they were relegated out the League into non League.

Would it really make any difference to the Albion Rovers fan base what League you're in?

They’ve not played any LL games yet. 😬

1 hour ago, PossilYM said:

Time will tell once they play league games they will have a sharp drop in away fans only away fans in reasonable numbers at our games were v Berwick, Bo'ness and Tranent.

Our average was down 100 or so due to lack of away fans and a poor team starting to get some back though.

16 hours ago, andrew21 said:

If the attendance was 214 yesterday, just a note that eight of the Lowland league teams (non B teams) had higher average attendances last season. Probably be the same this year with Linlithgow's support.

Albion Rovers attendances last season didn't even reach 300 in about half their games. 

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/albion-rovers/attendances/2022-2023

210 Rovers fans - that looks about right for these kind of games. We get more footfall when the stakes are higher.  Close game Sat - better team won. 

Good win for rovers,

Gretna made it difficult in the first half even after the red card (ex Rovers player and coatbridge lad Ronan Kearney)

2nd half it really should have been much much more rovers hit the post twice and had a couple chances off target that should have been scored, 

Gretna lucky to finish with 10 men, the number 2 kicked out at the Rovers player off the ball which the referee and linesman had a discussion about but failed to identify him, also the number 12 walking a tightrope, after being yellow carded 

Fair play to the Gretna keeper who engaged with the away support with getting banter aimed at him, gave some back and was rightly applauded off the park at the end by rovers fans shaking hands with a few, football needs more of this, and certainly took to being wound up much better than some of the locals as well as the manager.

Overall verdict, Gretna were lucky it wasn't 6, 7 or even 8

Great to see so many Rovers fans there

6 hours ago, airdrieman said:

How's big Bright getting on? 

Enjoy Newburgh on Saturday. It's a real gem. 

I like him

Hes not one who is best starting a game, comming on after 45 or even 65 minutes however he seems to cause a problems, after the defence have already set up a shape

If he starts hitting the target he will score a few

He's not the best player but his physical presence gives him an advantage, could become a cult hero quite quickly, seems like a nice big lad too

Evening fellow lowland leaguers, hope everyone enjoys their visit to Newburgh on Saturday, my partners dad is the chairman so this is just a message to say good luck. Ground is basic but a nice set up 2 enclosure stands, match day program is good a lot of time and effort goes in to it one of the better ones at that level. Bottles and cans of alcohol are sold in the ground before kick off £2.50 can’t complain too much. Can get windy and cold as right by the water also. I’ll be taking the game in, wee scouting mission before we meet🤣

for those going to Newburgh tomorrow i would advise getting your pie early, they are top quality but can run out at league games.

its residential parking in the main but there are plenty spaces in the streets moving towards Perth from the ground.

Its certainly the tie of the round and with no St Johnstone game tomorrow I like a lot of other Saints fans are going along to see this unusual match up. 

On 07/06/2023 at 00:24, tamthebam said:

It's probably the same lad- The Alastair we know was involved in researching the Ants history and was placid. The "Angry" nickname wasn't to do with his personality but came from his punk rock days.

I think someone saw him at a Tranent match fairly recently 

It is the same person but he died last year. 

20 hours ago, KPH said:

It is the same person but he died last year. 

Unassuming bloke. You needed to have been a real grumpy old man character to have fell out with Alastair. Can only go what Alastair told me, his family were Jambo's but his Glasgow connection started with Shettleston??? Not the easiest place to get to from Edinburgh pre that direct train link being opened up. Something happened there, possibly in the Social Club when local bams noised Alistair up about him coming from Edinburgh. Should point out the Social Club crew and the handful of diehard Shettleston supporters might have been two different groups. Not even sure how far back Alastair went with the West Juniors. As has been kindly pointed there's a distant Meadowbank Thistle connection.

He then moved to St Anthony's. Sure the last time i spoke to him was at an Ants game played at Maryhill. I never really knew the man other than giving him a lift a few times into Queen St Station. He went all out to do a history of the St Anthony's football club and indirectly Benburb FC. The two clubs were started by the same people.

I wonder in the end did anybody from the Ants go to the funeral?