League Cup group stage was a success

mrman2011

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

The full format seems a bit of a farce. Watching Hearts having to take part in a completely pointless penalty shootout was bizarre. 

It was to complete the fixtures in the group as per the rules. What's the point in playing a fixture on the last day of the season when the title, European places, relegation etc has already been decided? It's the same principle isn't it?

I would think that penalty shoot out today added a lot of excitement for neutrals watching on tv.

I have quite liked it over the last couple of seasons. A few (normally fairly local) trips out to see your team before the league campaign starts and it does at least make a few weeks in July at least a little more interesting. The draw today highlighted the weaknesses in that particular aspect of the format but the group stage idea is solid enough

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

People complain about meaningless matches? We play in a 38 match league where only one team can win it ffs.

Don't be churlish - you didn't become a St Johnstone fan to worry about league titles. 

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

It was to complete the fixtures in the group as per the rules. What's the point in playing a fixture on the last day of the season when the title, European places, relegation etc has already been decided? It's the same principle isn't it?

I would think that penalty shoot out today added a lot of excitement for neutrals watching on tv.

Technically the fixture had been completed. But I guess there's no way of writing the rules such that penalty shoot-outs where the outcome is of no consequence.

Although I suppose, again technically, all the shoot-outs have a consequence. In every group the total points will always add up to 30. So it keeps things neat and tidy.

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

Technically the fixture had been completed. But I guess there's no way of writing the rules such that penalty shoot-outs where the outcome is of no consequence.

Although I suppose, again technically, all the shoot-outs have a consequence. In every group the total points will always add up to 30. So it keeps things neat and tidy.

Yes.

Do you not think the tournament format with the groups is an improvement on what we had before overall?

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Thanks for explaining that the penalties took place because that's the rules. 

I wasn't talking about todays game, I was talking about the Hearts game. I was a neutral watching it and the shootout added no excitement. It just got me thinking that it was bizarre that Hearts were taking penalties with no incentive to win them. 

I really like it, even if I do feel it leaves us massively disadvantaged in some games as a PT club as guys are missing, on their holidays, not near match fit and having to play some tough fixtures and a lot of games in a short time.

Much better than pre season friendlies and the old seeded knockout was rubbish anyway.

Neil Doncaster has done it again. The League Cup group stage has been brilliant and full of excitment and intrigue. Who would have thought Hearts and Inverness would have got knocked out. People slate this man because he is from England but he making Scottish Football more exciting and meaningful

I will raise a glass to the great man

Just wondered if anyone knew how the income from the group games is split up, is it 50/50 between the two teams involved or is it pooled & split between all the teams in the group. The way the draw works it could make quite a difference if you get drawn to play the better supported teams at either home or away since you only have one game against each team in your group.

49 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Drawing Hibs away is no reward for finishing top though. 

This...

12/12 points in the group and the most goals scored in all groups yet we end up with an away tie to a top flight team...kinda defeats the point of seeding, no?

Thanks for explaining that the penalties took place because that's the rules. 
I wasn't talking about todays game, I was talking about the Hearts game. I was a neutral watching it and the shootout added no excitement. It just got me thinking that it was bizarre that Hearts were taking penalties with no incentive to win them. 

They could have finished a point closer to Peterhead [emoji23]

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I really like it, even if I do feel it leaves us massively disadvantaged in some games as a PT club as guys are missing, on their holidays, not near match fit and having to play some tough fixtures and a lot of games in a short time.

Much better than pre season friendlies and the old seeded knockout was rubbish anyway.

I can't say I've enjoyed these games any more than a run of the mill pre-season friendly - my club have treated both the League Cup and pre-season friendlies as one and the same for as long as I can remember though. I personally prefer the old format but I don't really give a shit what is done with this cup. I'm not sure Doncaster is due any praise though.

47 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

This...

12/12 points in the group and the most goals scored in all groups yet we end up with an away tie to a top flight team...kinda defeats the point of seeding, no?

Eleven top flight teams made it through to the last sixteen. No matter how you work the seedings it was going to happen to someone. Just be grateful that Hibs are a far easier proposition than most of your fellow seeds.

You've got a point about the away draw. Though as others have said, guaranteeing the best four sides in the country a home tie in their first match against a team that's had to play four games to qualify seems a bit unfair as well.

It's not a perfect system and perhaps needs tweaking, but it's one of the better changes to football in Scotland this century. We should be focusing all our ire on the Challenge Cup.

Just wondered if anyone knew how the income from the group games is split up, is it 50/50 between the two teams involved or is it pooled & split between all the teams in the group. The way the draw works it could make quite a difference if you get drawn to play the better supported teams at either home or away since you only have one game against each team in your group.

I think I remember reading when the new format was announced that the receipts from all games in a group were pooled and then distributed evenly so should the smaller teams miss out on bigger attendances due to the home/away split they aren't disadvantaged financially.

Cannot remember where I read/heard it though so the above could be rubbish.

I think we could do with an extra round in this comp. Peterhead beating hearts yet failing to qualify. I would like to establish how much if anything clubs have made out of this . . The prize money must be nearly equivalent to the paying of wages for the extra weeks of pre-season training.

Archived