Sportscene Watch 19/20

Despite the rule being explained to him, Peter Houston still thinks the disallowed Motherwell goal should have stood

As did McCall, it's pretty poor from both of them, it's not a complicated or new law. How they didn't know it, and why they they'd like to completely disregard it is unexplainable

As did McCall, it's pretty poor from both of them, it's not a complicated or new law. How they didn't know it, and why they they'd like to completely disregard it is unexplainable

Why does McCall always cling on to his chair as if he is in the front seat of a car that’s about to crash ?

15 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Perhaps because the law states that the GK has to be "in control of the ball" and the highlights quite clearly showed that he wasn't?

6 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Perhaps because the law states that the GK has to be "in control of the ball" and the highlights quite clearly showed that he wasn't?

Does it state that? Here's an excerpt from Law 12.16.

The goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when the ball is ... held by trapping the ball between one hand and any surface (e.g., the ground...)...

Another case of the ref knowing the Laws and applying them correctly.

23 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Read the post below your’s carefully. 

10 minutes ago, sugna said:

Does it state that? Here's an excerpt from Law 12.16.

Another case of the ref knowing the Laws and applying them correctly.

The ball didn't look "trapped" to me. He touched the ball a fraction of a second before it was kicked into the net. Hardly "trapped".

18 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

The ball didn't look "trapped" to me. He touched the ball a fraction of a second before it was kicked into the net. Hardly "trapped".

Just as well Andrew Dallas knew this specific Law, as a few others obviously don’t.

"Trapped" is a vague term and doesn't really belong in a "law" IMO.  At the game, it looked like the ball was moving slightly but his hand was on it - so it comes down to the interpretation of "trapped" I guess and it's natural for the referee to err on the side of caution.

To me*, trapped would mean the ball must be stationary and there is some force being applied by the 'keeper (as the law is really intended to stop people kicking the ball out the keeper's hand when it is "dead") and I'm not sure that was the case here, even after watching it a few times. 

*I am aware that my word is meaningless here as it was my team that was affected :)

14 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Just as well Andrew Dallas knew this specific Law, as a few others obviously don’t.

That law can never be specific, because "trapped" is too general a term. Just another law in the game that is left up to the referees interpretation, rather than having a definitive understanding.

"Trapped" is a vague term and doesn't really belong in a "law" IMO.  At the game, it looked like the ball was moving slightly but his hand was on it - so it comes down to the interpretation of "trapped" I guess and it's natural for the referee to err on the side of caution.
To me*, trapped would mean the ball must be stationary and there is some force being applied by the 'keeper (as the law is really intended to stop people kicking the ball out the keeper's hand when it is "dead") and I'm not sure that was the case here, even after watching it a few times. 

*I am aware that my word is meaningless here as it was my team that was affected [emoji4]

That was my reading of it too fwiw. I actually thought Mclaughlin was trying to pull it back towards himself and had lost control of it doing that before it was put in. But I really wouldn't blame the referee for missing that. I don't think that the ball was "trapped" as my understanding of the concept is.

3 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

That was my reading of it too fwiw. I actually thought Mclaughlin was trying to pull it back towards himself and had lost control of it doing that before it was put in. But I really wouldn't blame the referee for missing that. I don't think that the ball was "trapped" as my understanding of the concept is.

Not sure what the hell is going on here! Have I entered a parallel universe? The fact that he had his hand securely on top of the ball and was pulling/rolling it towards his body, means that he had full control of the ball. I give up.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Not sure what the hell is going on here! Have I entered a parallel universe? The fact that he had his hand securely on top of the ball and was pulling/rolling it towards his body, means that he had full control of the ball. I give up.

His hand wasn't "on top of the ball". If you look at the highlights again, he attempts to scoop the ball inwards by putting his hand over to the other side of the ball but is unable to pull it inwards because it wasn't "trapped" enough. :whistle