#Sonshamers v Sons

I can't recall Dowie ever playing in midfield for us and I'd have my doubts about him being mobile enough to do so successfully now.  He did fill in at right-back for us on a number of occasions and was largely fine.  Solid defensively as you'd expect just not very good going forward (again as you'd expect).

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I genuinely wish I had enough weight on me to stretch a shirt. Every single football shirt I wear makes me look like a coat hanger such is my non-existent build.

I did wonder if Dowie could play in there, good to know he's done it in the past although I expect Craig Barr to continue in midfield when we're short of bodies. I note from our Irn Bru Cup Preview on the OS though that Danny Handling is now fit and ready to play, that coupled with Stuart Carswell coming on in the second half last week means we currently only have Grant Gallagher missing - which means Barr shouldn't be required in midfield. It does give Aitken a bit of a selection issue though, I'd argue that Mark Stewart is the only one worthy of being dropped. That said if I were Aitken, this is the team I would select this weekend;

Gallacher

Wardrop -- Dowie -- Barr -- McLaughlin

Carswell -- Wilson

Walsh -- Handling -- Roy

Nade

That leaves a subs bench of; Ewings, Prior, Hutton, Hill, Stewart, Johnston and Calum Gallagher. Dougie Hill would be very unlucky to be dropped but I don't think Stevie saw him as a starter when he brought him in and if Barr and Dowie are available they'll start together. Before Saturday I would have had Kyle Hutton starting over Wilson but Wilson produced a bit of magic and was largely solid on Saturday, he's maybe not the donkey we all feared he was.

Having said all that, I fully expect Aitken to carry on with the same team. He never ever changes a team line when we get a decent result which at times I understand but I'm not sure it's the right approach. Nice to finally have a full bench mind you!

What's Smith done to not even get into the squad?

Just now, Boghead ranter said:

What's Smith done to not even get into the squad?

I should be hung for that. He's not even done a lot wrong to dropped from the first 11 in all honesty. Sad that our most improved player from last season is becoming a forgotten man though.

I'd be inclined to leave the team as per the one that started at Falkirk.

I certainly wouldn't be rushing Carswell back, albeit a cameo tomorrow might set him up better to be pushing for a start on Saturday.

For all Mark Stewart had little end product at Falkirk, he was the willing runner when Nade couldn't so I'm not sure who I'd replace him with.

36 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I'd be inclined to leave the team as per the one that started at Falkirk.

I certainly wouldn't be rushing Carswell back, albeit a cameo tomorrow might set him up better to be pushing for a start on Saturday.

For all Mark Stewart had little end product at Falkirk, he was the willing runner when Nade couldn't so I'm not sure who I'd replace him with.

Yeah, the only reason I included Carswell was because I fully expect him to get the best part of 90 minutes against Rangers U20s on Wednesday but I agree if he's still carrying a knock then leave him on the bench. I hope Handling gets a good 70 minutes under his belt tomorrow too - he'd be my Stewart replacement for Saturday. I also wouldn't be against Calum Gallagher playing off Nade either, the SeaGall still hasn't really had a run of games in any position and I'm not convinced he's a winger. Let's play him off an experienced guy like Nade and see what he can do before we confirm him as bench fodder.

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Andy Dowie is a surprisingly decent defensive midfielder. As long as he's not alongside Alex Keddie he's an acceptable centre-half.

Much as I like Dowser I dont think he has the legs for a central midfield role. He played right back for us for a while but was last tried there about 2 years ago. 

In all honesty, I'd be rotating the squad as much as possible for tomorrow night's game. We are going to have 24 hours less than Saturday's full-time opponents to recover and prepare for the game. I'd rather maximise our chances of taking something from Palmerston, even if it meant once again making our customary swift exit from the Challenge Cup. I'm not going tomorrow night, due to the trumped up nature of the opposition we'll be facing, but I'll be making the best part of a 400 mile round trip to Dumfries without blinking an eye.

12 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

In all honesty, I'd be rotating the squad as much as possible for tomorrow night's game. We are going to have 24 hours less than Saturday's full-time opponents to recover and prepare for the game. I'd rather maximise our chances of taking something from Palmerston, even if it meant once again making our customary swift exit from the Challenge Cup. I'm not going tomorrow night, due to the trumped up nature of the opposition we'll be facing, but I'll be making the best part of a 400 mile round trip to Dumfries without blinking an eye.

:thumsup2

3 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

From last nights team I'd change goalkeeper and right-back. Bringing Martin and Rooney back in at the expense of Leighfield and Kerr.

I would agree with that. Although I thought it worked last night with Fordyce at right back and Kerr played well after his scare in the first few minutes where he let the ball come over his head and didn't see the Airdrie player coming.

I don't see it happening but think three at the back would work.

Martin

Fordyce   Kerr   Brownlie

Rooney                                                                       Marshall

Rankin       Jacobs

Dobbie      

Kane           Lyle

21 minutes ago, jakeyman said:

I would agree with that. Although I thought it worked last night with Fordyce at right back and Kerr played well after his scare in the first few minutes where he let the ball come over his head and didn't see the Airdrie player coming.

Martin

Rooney                                                                       Marshall

Rankin       Jacobs

Dobbie      

Kane           Lyle

I agree.  With three solid centre halves and two of Mercer/Rooney/Marshall as wing-backs we definitely could play a back three.  James Fowler used a similar 3-4-1-2 to the one you've posted very successfully.  In his first season especially.  Carmichael and probably Murray could play the Dobbie role in the formation you've gone with as well.  In fact if you replace Rooney with Carmichael it isn't a million miles from how we lined up last night.

Despite views to the contrary we've now got a lot of good options and competition all over the park.  Considering the scale of the work needing done I think it's been an excellent transfer window by the manager.

2 hours ago, jakeyman said:

Martin

Rankin       Jacobs

Dobbie      

Kane           Lyle

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

I agree.  With three solid centre halves and two of Mercer/Rooney/Marshall as wing-backs we definitely could play a back three.  James Fowler used a similar 3-4-1-2 to the one you've posted very successfully.  In his first season especially.  Carmichael and probably Murray could play the Dobbie role in the formation you've gone with as well.  In fact if you replace Rooney with Carmichael it isn't a million miles from how we lined up last night.

Despite views to the contrary we've now got a lot of good options and competition all over the park.  Considering the scale of the work needing done I think it's been an excellent transfer window by the manager.

Someone suggested this on the Queens thread. I just dont see the point, to be honest. We've looked ok defensively with a back four particularly through the middle. The problems have been out wide. Why bring in another centre half and leave the wingbacks even more exposed?

I also dont see the point of bringing in another centre back at the expense of a more attacking player. If we want to accommodate three forwards then why not just stick with the 4-3-1-2 from the last couple of games?

Obviously, its an option with Kerr now in the squad but I dont see any strong arguments for playing three at the back over the formations we've already played

Has Dobbie scored against us since returning to Queens (or at all)? I don't remember him scoring last season but I didn't make it to all the games against Queens and can't be sure.

Lyle loves a goal against us, it would be nice if Dobbie and Kane refrained.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Has Dobbie scored against us since returning to Queens (or at all)? I don't remember him scoring last season but I didn't make it to all the games against Queens and can't be sure.

Lyle loves a goal against us, it would be nice if Dobbie and Kane refrained.

Scored against us in April, in the match where Sir Samuel of Stanton (:wub:) scored that free-kick. I think that's it though. Dom Thomas scored twice against us January, Lyle scored against us in December and the other game was 0-0.

Archived