Dumbarton vs Dunfermline Athletic

15 minutes ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Go one better, the highlights.

Dowie's red card looks a bit harsh. Might have touched the ball, even if he didn't he's certainly made a legitimate attempt to do so and Dunfermline went on and got the shot away anyway.

Looked a stonewall foul for the Dumbarton penalty claim too, though not absolutely certain it's in the box at point of contact. Can't believe they didn't get at least a free kick though.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dowie's red card looks a bit harsh. Might have touched the ball, even if he didn't he's certainly made a legitimate attempt to do so and Dunfermline went on and got the shot away anyway.
Looked a stonewall foul for the Dumbarton penalty claim too, though not absolutely certain it's in the box at point of contact. Can't believe they didn't get at least a free kick though.

Dowie was lucky to stay on the park after his first one tbh.

Him going off didn't particulary impact us he was woeful and it will lead to Hill rightfully gaining his place back. Hill looks the superior option IMO and has barely put a foot wrong. Quite why he gets dropped as soon as Dowie and Barr are free to play centre half together is anyone's guess (it was the same last week until Barr pulled out at the last minute), he's been one of our better performers thus far whilst Dowie looks fairly meh.

12 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It was a 2nd yellow and in no way harsh, especially given his first yellow could easily been a straight red, as could of his 2nd if hopkirk had of gone down

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Dowie was lucky to stay on the park after his first one tbh.

He might have been lucky to stay on the park after the first one, you can't tell as the cameraman misses it. That's not really relevant to the second one though. He either nicks the ball or he doesn't. if he does it's not a foul. Maybe he's nowhere near it as angles can be deceiving sometimes but it looks like he may touch it.

He might have been lucky to stay on the park after the first one, you can't tell as the cameraman misses it. That's not really relevant to the second one though. He either nicks the ball or he doesn't. if he does it's not a foul. Maybe he's nowhere near it as angles can be deceiving sometimes but it looks like he may touch it.

Aye I do agree, from where I was sitting I thought it was a foul and I don't have the stomach to watch it back but you may be right.

Looks like a penalty to me, although the ref has got the red card spot on. I think ParsTv were missing most of the crew so it was Burty doing the camerawork which he's evidently not used to. Dumbarton have good quality highlights which will help clear up whether Dowie should've been sent off the first time.

2 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Go one better, the highlights.

Thank you, some great build up work from the Pars. A great club well on the way back hopefully.

Having watched the highlights from Dunfermline I am even more worried about a couple of things than I was beforehand.

Our 'keeper is just awful. Yes he is a good shot stopper, but surely that is the bare minimum for a goalkeeper? Positionally he is all over the place and I would blame him for 2 of the 4 goals yesterday - at least. Even the 2nd goal, as good a finish as it is, I feel he could have made himself bigger. Then the 4th goal he messed up the kickout and also gets dragged way too far over to the left hand post before the shot gets hit.

The referees performance looks worse in the highlights too. It missed a lot of the stupid things he seemed to stop play for but the penalty claim is so close to him and clear as day, but he still chooses not to give it. At the time I thought Dowie's 2nd yellow was clear as day but I'm not overly convinced he has to give him the booking after watching it again. But I do understand it.

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

Having watched the highlights from Dunfermline I am even more worried about a couple of things than I was beforehand.

Our 'keeper is just awful. Yes he is a good shot stopper, but surely that is the bare minimum for a goalkeeper? Positionally he is all over the place and I would blame him for 2 of the 4 goals yesterday - at least. Even the 2nd goal, as good a finish as it is, I feel he could have made himself bigger. Then the 4th goal he messed up the kickout and also gets dragged way too far over to the left hand post before the shot gets hit.

The referees performance looks worse in the highlights too. It missed a lot of the stupid things he seemed to stop play for but the penalty claim is so close to him and clear as day, but he still chooses not to give it. At the time I thought Dowie's 2nd yellow was clear as day but I'm not overly convinced he has to give him the booking after watching it again. But I do understand it.

Ironically I would've said he could've done better with all of them, bar the second, which was a fairly cool finish. Aside from the communication breakdown for the first he seemed to take far too long to return to a decent position in the goal. The cross for the third, as poorly defended as it was, would be claimed by a more confident 'keeper imo, and we all know about the fourth.

I've stood up for him on here, but he had a poor game yesterday - albeit he was far from alone in that. Unfortunately he looks like a guy with absolutely no confidence in his own ability, and not only is it affecting his decision making, it's now impacting how he communicates with the back four. That's what caused the first goal yesterday imo. 

I'd give Jaz an opportunity against the Nomads. At the end of the day it's risk free, if he isn't fit enough Gallacher gets back in, and we lose a meaningless game. If he comes in and does well then great, he's won the No.1 shirt back.

On the game as a whole there were no positives for me. It was as poor a performance as some of the pre-Bonnyrigg games, and Stevie needs to seriously bring in a star up top if that's to change. Our lineup was attacking enough, but unfortunately Walsh and Roy weren't brave enough to show for the ball, and Handling coming off ruined that potential attacking outlet.

Stevie's decision to put David Smith on for Handling was bizarre as well. He's a right-back. A decent right-back. He's not a winger and, despite what he said last week on SonsTV, he was poor against Queen of the South. Johnston or SeaGal for me. Probably the former who, despite hardly pulling up any trees, has contributed far more than Walsh so far this season.

Wardrop and Boomer were ok. We badly need to use Boomer's left peg more though, as he's got a stonking delivery. It'd be nice to see us packing the box for his long throws too, but given we scored about once from them in Scott Linton's 60 odd games I won't hold my breath. Mango probably had his poorest game so far, but was probably the correct choice for Man of the Match...which says everything.

In midfield Hutton and Carswell simply cannot happen again. Carswell is a far superior player, but when he's the more attacking of the duo then you know something is badly wrong. Hutton was dire. Just look at how cheaply he loses possession for the first goal. He takes forever to turn, he's remarkably right footed, he can't run and he sh*tes out of tackles. He makes Grant Gallagher look like N'Golo Kanté.

Speaking of Frenchmen, Nadé is our only attacking threat. So it's dead easy for teams to nullify him. Stick two players on him, nobody will try and go beyond and nobody will pressure you into a mistake. Easy. He must be on single figures in the amount of shots he's had this season...if any come to think of it.

Much to be miserable about on the park, and even more stuff to drive you to insanity off it. Happy days, eh?

The scout for the nomads was behind me. He got caught videoing the game from under his programme. Moved to taking notes. I managed to get a wee peak at them. It read " Dumbarton yn cach".
That was horrendous to watch. No fight at all especially from the midfield. Ally Roy is brushed off the ball with too much ease. As BBPF stated, the Vale might just be a better option at the moment.

Did he get the incident where Dumbarton player should have been sent off in 1st half

Looks like a penalty to me, although the ref has got the red card spot on. I think ParsTv were missing most of the crew so it was Burty doing the camerawork which he's evidently not used to. Dumbarton have good quality highlights which will help clear up whether Dowie should've been sent off the first time.

Here was my take on the Dowie incident at the time. In an effort to get ahead, McManus attempts to get himself between Dowie and the ball and in doing so McManus's heel catching Dowies shin and he goes over. So I don't think it was a cynical attempt but rather a coming together, that being said as soon as Mr Crook blew for the foul it's clearly a goal scoring opportunity.

Hopefully the highlights will clear it up.

10 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Our highlights are usually top notch but seemed to be plenty of missing the major incidents and unnecessary zooming this week. I really don't want to pick holes as they guys do such a great job but found it to be pretty unwatchable at times.

Quality of highlights or otherwise you guys are looking good.

Ryan is going to be a great signing. Goal difference is really good. Could be a top season for you.

Archived