Cyclist charged with Manslaughter

mizfit

1 hour ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

As usual the daily mail totally miss the point, who cares that the twat had a tattoo or not.

Except that she wasn't.. The very article quoted states that he claimed she was on her phone at the time but witnesses confirmed that wasn't the case, which begs me to ask, if he could see she was apparently on a phone, why didn't he avoid hitting her?  "On an internet forum for fixed-wheel bike enthusiasts, he later described how he twice warned her to 'get the f*** outta my way'."

If he had brakes this could have been avoided, but at the same time to play devil's advocate, if what he said is true about her seemingly stopping and looking at him when he was shouting, then why didn't she move?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/aug/23/motorist-would-not-have-landed-cyclists-wanton-and-furious-driving-charge

"Alliston has always been adamant this was so (including in some very poorly judged online forum comments he made in the days after the incident when Briggs lay in hospital) and the prosecution, who had access to CCTV and witnesses, did not contend otherwise. Instead it was alleged that with a front brake Alliston would have been able to stop before any collision took place."

So it does seem there is blame on both sides here but there's no doubt that twat is largely to blame. 

I haven't read an articles, only going by what I saw reported on the BBC news last night.  They said that she had been on her phone when she stepped out (looks from the article you've quoted that there's not dispute that she stepped out either with or without phone while the lights were green in the cyclists favour), and also that when he first shouted (and apparently swerved in towards the pavement and therefore to go behind her direction of travel), then she stepped back towards where she had come from, and he subsequently hit her.

That's the way it was reported on the news last night.  I'm not trying to absolve him of blame at all, and you're right, there is blame on both sides.  She jaywalked, and either disregarded him, or never saw him at all, when she made the choice to step onto the road.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Very, very true.

But those driving the cars are (almost entirely) safe whilst those on the bikes are being injured and killed in quite high numbers.

Simple answer is to not ride a bike. 

Simple answer is to not ride a bike. 

Aye cos that's a sensible approach to our transport problems.

The more folk cycling the better. They need to be less dickish but us drivers need to remember the ones that are being killed and injured.

Roads are paid for by general taxation. There is no such thing as road tax. It is a car tax, and riggtly so for polluting our air and causing congestion.

Drivers are protected by a metal box. Cyclists have no protection. The UK is shite at cycle infrastructure although arguably it is getting better in recent years, big segregated cycle path in the south side in Glasgow, new segregated Haymarket to Leith Walk in the pipeline after local opposition for some stupid fucking reaaon. Including shopkeepers thinking they will lose custom from street parking being lost when this myth has been entirely debunked.

There are of course lycra clad arseholes that can be a law into themselves but the Clarkson esque anti cycling cliches are typically from selfish luddites.

I cycle to work because the 5 miles on the off road bike path takes me 25 minutes rather than 45 on the bus. People commuting by car in Edinburgh are morons. I'd pedestrianise the f**k out our major cities.

1 hour ago, kennysmassiveego said:

He looks an arrogant wee p***k and as the judge said he's shown no remorse at all . 

Any right minded person with a decent brief would surely have pretended to be remorseful 

Jail him with the paedos who might appreciate his biker thighs 

Jail him?

Naah.... String the fucker up by the baws - give him a week to think about it and then shoot the fucker.

It's the only kind of language that these c***s understand.

I do not believe that drivers should have to prove they were in the right. There are utter tests on the road. On 4 wheels and 2. I said years ago on P & B bikes should be insured. I was called for everything. I gave not changed my mind.

1 minute ago, capybara said:

I do not believe that drivers should have to prove they were in the right. There are utter tests on the road. On 4 wheels and 2. I said years ago on P & B bikes should be insured. I was called for everything. I gave not changed my mind.

Why should P&B bikes be insured?

Because they're the ones in the killing machines.

It's not a difficult distinction to make.

The press making noises today by showing his tattoo under his left ear of a skeleton head with tears coming from it, apparently he covered with his hair during the trial.

Thing is that a 10 year old can go on a bike on a major busy road without having any traffic knowledge whatsoever.

We have spent millions creating cycle lanes so bikes are not going away, but there should be some sort of official knowledge/proficiency instruction required with maybe a test at the end of it?

4 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Genuinely, why would you ride a bike in a city?

Financial reasons.   

Bikes, Go Karts, Skateboards, Scooters etc have their value during your early teens.   

Witnessing a grown man in his 40's carrying a skateboard or wheeling a push bike always reminds me the government must do more to eradicate transport poverty.    

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Most cycle lanes were built in the mid 90s but with no maintenance budgets. They are full of pot holes overgrown thorns and in the case of riverside Dundee almost exclusively fat women jogging. No way I would risk a decent road bike on them.

What's your price range for a bike you would risk on a chubby?

35 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Most cycle lanes were built in the mid 90s but with no maintenance budgets. They are full of pot holes overgrown thorns and in the case of riverside Dundee almost exclusively fat women jogging. No way I would risk a decent road bike on them.

This. Cycle paths in Angus and by the sounds of it, Dundee, are fucking shit. They're fine for hybrids or MTBs but I'm never using my roadbike on one of them again. 

Archived