TNS vs Livingston

AMC13

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPFL confirm wrong shoot-out was used; launch investigation; but decide before investigation the result stands.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-probe-after-wrong-penalty-shoot-out-used-in-irn-bru-cup-tie-1-4550438

Totally farcical referee didn't know what shoot-out to use.

Incidentally, I'm sure this is a great consolation to all the clubs fined or dumped out of competitions down the years for rule breaches which nevertheless didn't "affect the result" :lol::

A SPFL spokesperson said: “It is not in our rules and we will be looking into how it happened as the rules were issued to everyone involved.

“It looks like there was some confusion between the referee who came from Ireland and his assistants who were from Wales.”

“We do not see it affecting the result of the tie however we need to ensure that it does not happen again.”

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

SPFL confirm wrong shoot-out was used; launch investigation; but decide before investigation the result stands.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-probe-after-wrong-penalty-shoot-out-used-in-irn-bru-cup-tie-1-4550438

Incidentally, I'm sure this is a great consolation to all the clubs fined or dumped out of competitions down the years for rule breaches which nevertheless didn't "affect the result" :lol::

A SPFL spokesperson said: “It is not in our rules and we will be looking into how it happened as the rules were issued to everyone involved.

“It looks like there was some confusion between the referee who came from Ireland and his assistants who were from Wales.”

“We do not see it affecting the result of the tie however we need to ensure that it does not happen again.”

Someone fucking put the SPFL out of it's misery. Beyond a clown stumbling through a minefield now.

51 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Whats the point in having an investigation if your not going to do anything about it:lol:

Fair enough having refs from neutral countries doing the games but at least someone should have briefed them about the rules.

Frankly, it's unsustainable.

Even if all penalties had turned-out the same way: when Lithgow missed Livingston were 3-2 down and going second. Had it been conducted by the rules it would have been 2-2 and Livingston going first. That was clearly a different pressure scenario for him.

Later Pittman would have been shooting first - not second and having to score.

It could quite patently have "affected the result".

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

It could quite patently have "affected the result".

Without a doubt, but we'll never know. The most insignificant things affect the final outcome of closely contested games - a corner, free kick or even a throw-in incorrectly awarded. A dozen things like that happen in every game. I agree it should never have happened, but games are never replayed when its proved that a ref gets it wrong, even the erroneous award of penalties and goals.

38 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

They shouldn't have said it then. Clubs have been expelled from cups for unused subs being unregistered, or team-lines incorrectly filled-up - those "affected the result" less than this.

I entirely agree, and I said the same thing previously.

9 hours ago, Big Berk said:

Without a doubt, but we'll never know. The most insignificant things affect the final outcome of closely contested games - a corner, free kick or even a throw-in incorrectly awarded. A dozen things like that happen in every game. I agree it should never have happened, but games are never replayed when its proved that a ref gets it wrong, even the erroneous award of penalties and goals.

That isn't true.  There are examples of matches being replayed when the referee makes a technical error and applies the rules incorrectly.  That is treated very differently to him not giving a penalty when a guy was fouled in the box - in that case, the referee knows the right rule, but just missed the foul.

I think HibeeJibee gave an example from one of the East of Scotland tournaments last season where the ref took a game straight to penalties rather than playing extra time, and that was replayed.  Likewise, a World Cup qualifier between Bahrain and Uzbekistan in 2005 was replayed after the ref applied the rules incorrectly with respect to encroachment at a penalty kick.

If Livingston were to lodge a protest about the referee's error on Saturday, then I think it would be entirely correct to order a rematch.  The rules of the competition were not upheld by the referee, and Livingston would be within their rights to complain about that.  However, I suspect they probably aren't bothered about having to travel back down to England again in midweek, so they'll probably just leave it.

I think the SPFL quote is being misinterpreted above, probably due to a poor choice of words - I think what the person meant was "we do not see the result of the match being changed at this point", rather than "we do not think that the referee's error had an impact on the result".

16 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Whats the point in having an investigation if your not going to do anything about it:lol:

Fair enough having refs from neutral countries doing the games but at least someone should have briefed them about the rules.

The post you've quoted literally states that the rules were issued to everyone involved, which presumably includes the referee.  I'm not sure how this one can be pinned on the SPFL - it's not really their fault that a referee (who would have been appointed by the SFA, not them) didn't follow the correct rules.

I'm unsure how the SPFL can arrive at their conclusion before their investigation has took place. Craig is correct in what he says above - there is some form of precedent for this taking place, and if I was being cynical, I'd suggest that their reaction is an attempt to shuffle it along given the misconduct of clubs which has marred this competition both this season and last.

That said, I don't believe Livingston will push for a rematch, would not be worth it at all from a financial perspective. But it's pretty daft to say the system didn't affect the result, for the reasons HJ outlined above. 

2 hours ago, Afro said:

That said, I don't believe Livingston will push for a rematch, would not be worth it at all from a financial perspective. But it's pretty daft to say the system didn't affect the result, for the reasons HJ outlined above. 

We dont know if it affected the result because no one knows what it would have been if it had been reciprocal penalties.

Archived