How much is your hoose

locheedfcno1

20 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Rent is doable if you live in a house-share or with a partner. You'd have to be minted to rent anything within 15-20 miles of central London on your own though.

A lot of it is pot luck in getting on the ladder at the right time. We rent a 2 bed flat by the Thames in Woolwich (30 mins from central London. Not the nicest area, but not the worst either) for £1300 a month. Three or four years ago it would have cost ~£250,000 to buy, which is just about within our reach, but now Crossrail is coming to the area that's been pushed up to closer to £350,000. It's completely insane.

My parents bought the family home (3 bed semi) in 1993 for £75,000. It's right on the very edge of London, but 10 minutes walk to the station, and then 25 minutes by train to the city. Last year the next door neighbours sold up for £400,000.

I've been trying to convince Mrs CCH that our future should be outside Londn, but she's just landed a good job at the Royal Opera House so I can't see us going anywhere anytime soon.

She sounds like a right Diva.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Rent is doable if you live in a house-share or with a partner. You'd have to be minted to rent anything within 15-20 miles of central London on your own though.

A lot of it is pot luck in getting on the ladder at the right time. We rent a 2 bed flat by the Thames in Woolwich (30 mins from central London. Not the nicest area, but not the worst either) for £1300 a month. Three or four years ago it would have cost ~£250,000 to buy, which is just about within our reach, but now Crossrail is coming to the area that's been pushed up to closer to £350,000. It's completely insane.

My parents bought the family home (3 bed semi) in 1993 for £75,000. It's right on the very edge of London, but 10 minutes walk to the station, and then 25 minutes by train to the city. Last year the next door neighbours sold up for £400,000.

I've been trying to convince Mrs CCH that our future should be outside Londn, but she's just landed a good job at the Royal Opera House so I can't see us going anywhere anytime soon.

Is she a fat lady?

15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Thanks for that take, it's pretty interesting.

Do they still have military service?  Again I recall reading that the folks who held senior positions in the military reserve were the same folk running the banks; but that's going back 30-40 years so may no longer be relevant.

It's an interesting place when you try to look beyond the obvious. The contradictions and hypocrisy are a tremendous source of wind up material when you want to annoy the natives. National service is still mandatory, but you can opt out of military service and do community work instead. I know a few folk who done their time in nursing homes and one of the boys I work with spent a month of each year for the last decade helping out at various unemployment help organisations. Fortunately he is finished now, as it was really fucking up the holiday calendar in work.

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Never  mind that, do they still have the goat fucking?

The rural areas around Luzern and the Appenzeller region do have a certain reputation...

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Heard everyone who did military service has to have a gun at home, but they're not allowed ammunition until it kicks off. Also that you can be jailed for doing your washing after 10pm or not cutting your grass enough.

Not sure when it changed, but officially they are now meant to hand their guns back. That seems to have been a relatively recent thing as most of the guys I know still have their rifles kicking about. They have the ammunition as well but have to store it separately. They also have to go in to the local shooting club every so often to have their guns checked out and to make sure they can still shoot accurately enough that they aren't too much of a danger to the public.

The noise laws aren't as draconian as the reputation. Most flats will have their washing room in the basement anyway so it's unlikely they will create enough noise that it pisses off the neighbours. Been told that if you are a consistent pain in the arse, it is much easier to have your tenancy ended here than it is back home. My neighbours are all pretty decent though. The old ones too deaf and the young ones too stoned to notice how shite I am on the guitar. I tend to watch football in the pub as a precaution. My reaction to Griffiths goals v England would have had me kicked out the country never mind my flat.

Our neighbours just sold their house for 30% more than we paid for ours a few years back. I think our house is better (bigger garden, more space, better garage) so it could be worth 50% more.

Madness really, I could have made more money than I get paid in a year doing f**k all.

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Our neighbours just sold their house for 30% more than we paid for ours a few years back. I think our house is better (bigger garden, more space, better garage) so it could be worth 50% more.

Madness really, I could have made more money than I get paid in a year doing f**k all.

Of course it can work the other way too which can cause problems.  In an ideal world house prices would keep up with inflation and be a way of protecting how much folk have paid for them.  House prices rising well above inflation has helped some folk, harmed others and not been good for the economy in general.

You live in the slum of Edinburgh.

Housing really brought out the greed in the British mindset. As much as I despise Thatcher, she was incredibly effective.

Money for nothing, sometimes many, many times over.

Guest Moomintroll

Housing really brought out the greed in the British mindset. As much as I despise Thatcher, she was incredibly effective.

Money for nothing, sometimes many, many times over.

Stupid cow was born 15 years too early in my selfish opinion, yet another reason to hate her. Between the massive equity unlocked over the period following allied to the ludicrous pension advantages enjoyed by the people lucky enough to be born in this timeframe, is it any wonder that there is a massive left wing backlash occurring among younger generations right now? I know, I know, politics forum for this pish.

What kind of thievery do your councils want off you for council tax.

When we bought the house we were band E, about £195 from memory. This obviously plays a part in your decision to buy if you are running reasonably close to budget.

After we had been in about a year they very kindly wrote to us to say that there had been a mistake and we should've been band F and as a result our payments were going up to £245 which was a massive kick in the teeth, then at the start of this council year the government increased the rates again to £260.

To compound their error they also sent me a backdated bill from the day I moved in to make up the difference from E to F since my entry date. A very apologetic letter right enough but they still wanted their money.

Guest Moomintroll
What kind of thievery do your councils want off you for council tax. 

When we bought the house we were band E, about £195 from memory. This obviously plays a part in your decision to buy if you are running reasonably close to budget.

After we had been in about a year they very kindly wrote to us to say that there had been a mistake and we should've been band F and as a result our payments were going up to £245 which was a massive kick in the teeth, then at the start of this council year the government increased the rates again to £260.

To compound their error they also sent me a backdated bill from the day I moved in to make up the difference from E to F since my entry date. A very apologetic letter right enough but they still wanted their money.

£195 for Band E Council Tax!?! Please tell me that was per month, I used to pay £700 a year for a band B in Faifley ffs.

On 02/09/2017 at 19:54, ICTChris said:

My next door neighbours just sold their house for 30% more than we paid for ours four years ago. I'd hope we'd get more than theirs, our house is better.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

If two of your neighbours have sold their houses in the last few days I think it says something about the state of your place that they've decided to move on.

Just now, RiG said:

If two of your neighbours have sold their houses in the last few days I think it says something about the state of your place that they've decided to move on.

Chris's constant belittling of them has driven them away. 

Archived